Sunday Afternoon Procrastination - M9-A1 mods

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by cobbhc, Aug 26, 2012.

1. cobbhc

cobbhc Member

Just little minor tweaks this afternoon as I've done all the reliability work and all the BT mods. I filed down the slide stop so it wouldn't be in the way of my grip, and I grip taped my contact points for better traction. Enjoy.

http://imgur.com/a/mmS5A#0

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  2. blueorison

blueorison Member

great post, very appreciated. My slide never locks back because of my aggressive grip. I have dremeled down, vertically, the slide rls on my G31. I will do so, laterally, as you have, with the M9.

3. cobbhc

cobbhc Member

No prob! Even when I have my right thumb over on my left hand I would experience failures to lock back because my left hand was so high it was pushing the slide lock up. I'm hoping this fixes my problem. Otherwise I'm not sure what the next step is.

4. blueorison

blueorison Member

I just finished slicing the slide rls/lock. I left about 1/4 of it, towards the front edge, so that if I wanted, I could still use it to lock the slide back. I don't use it as a slide release, but as a slide lock.

My situation was that my firing hand's thumb would weld to the top of my non-firing hand's thumb and it would happen to occlude the slide rls/lock and put pressure upon it, such that it would defeat the magazine spring pressure pushing the empty follower against the bottom of the slide rls/lock. I do not have the problem of having large, big hands, such that my non-firing hand would push up from below the slide rls/lock.

If I did have the latter, or both these problems, I would just shave off the protruding tab, which would solve the problem 100%. It would not allow you to use thumb to lock the slide back using the rls/lock, but you easily place an empty magazine into the magwell and lock it back that way. I would have shaved the protruding rls/lock tab completely off, but I shoot in competition, and when I am unloading the gun and making it safe, I do not wish to re-insert an empty magazine into it after removing the loaded one. It would not be thoroughly appropriate and might make the RO nervous.

5. cobbhc

cobbhc Member

Well, mine seems to be the right size to still use it as both a slide stop and a lock, but I've yet to see if the mod achieved the desired effect. We'll have to see. I'll report back when I have some results.

6. blueorison

blueorison Member

Roger. Going to the range, today, to test out the mod.

It would have been a lot more effective/easier for me if the rls/stop was designed EXACTLY like the Glock's. Then all I'd have to do is cut the back tab off, which isn't connected to the actual rls/stop body stem. The Steyr's is completely connected to the internal body stem, which makes it a lot more difficult.

Will post pictures if it works out, today.