Suggestions wanted

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Rainman, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Rainman

Rainman Guest

So, after a lot of shopping around I have decided to go with a Steyr M40-A1. Most likely, I will order from Davidson's. Before doing so, if anyone has an suggestions or insights it would be very appreciated.

2. dabdaworm

dabdaworm Member

Why Davidsons? For the warranty? I believe CDNN's prices are better, and right now at least Steyr's customer service is great!

3. dabdaworm

dabdaworm Member

Oh, and why did you choose .40 cal? Just curious...

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

You are aware that CDNN is selling MA1s in 9mm or .40 S&W for $350?

Anyway, here's another thread that you might want to read: Finally gonna buy a MA1, but do I go 40sw or 9mm?

Either way, 9 or .40, I'm sure you'll be pleased. MA1s are great pistols, especially the M357-A1, but they're very hard to find and if you should find one of the few left, you'll have to pay $500+. :shock:

5. nixon

nixon Member

rainman,
    DABDA AND NET are correct. CDNN is the way to go for the price is unbeatable. anything goes with your piece, knock on wood, It's SAI the importer not Davidsons is the one who will take care of you. Go get ASAP while supplies last. You will love it, I hope.
    Nixon,

6. Davidson's has the life time warranty, which is nice, but Steyr Mannlicher stands behind their product so well through SAI you don't really need it unless you want that extra comfort level.

The .40 S&W is the best choice, don't let these 9mm guys talk you out of it. The Steyr MA1 is a second gen of the Steyr M-series which was designed from the get-go to be chambered for .40 S&W and later adapted to 9mm (unlike the Glock which was vice versa).

I don't find that the savings in cost of 9mm is really anything to justify purchasing a 9mm pistol for that reason alone. Some will say that 9mm can be just as lethal as .40 S&W, but I'm not comfortable shooting +P or +P+ loads when you could just have a .40 S&W. The 9mm does mean greater magazine capacity though so that is something to consider. Either way you'll be shooting a Steyr so you can't miss. 8)

Good Luck.

7. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I'd go CDNN too. Why send it to Davidson's when you can send it directly to Steyr and get fast turn around. My gf had to send her (now mine :lol:) M40 back and it took over a month to get it back........ :shock: That was from Davidson's . Why bother, pay less and get more...........

8. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

You don't have to - the best loads for 9mm are the bonded standard pressure 147gr. offerings from the Winchester Ranger and Federal Hi-Shock Tactical. In many cases, the 147gr. 9mm load by a manufacturer will outperform the 165 and 180gr. .40S&W offerings.

But ministerofdeath is right - if you have your heart set on .40, there's certainly nothing wrong with it. Get what you shoot best and what you would enjoy the most. 8)

9. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

I agree with minister 100% for the .40 choice. There are some great "guys" that will sell you on the 9mm. Some have balistic stats that might back it up, but..... excuse me BIG BUT, I think they want you to buy a 9mm because it might make them feel better about their purchase. Just remember one thing when you purchase it, my daughter loves the 9mm (she's almost 13 y.o.a.) :lol:

Take Care and watch out for the balistic stats, they'll be coming soon in this thread.

MTS

10. Wayne Gerringer

Wayne Gerringer Guest

Guess these "caliber wars" tend to fester on every forum, huh.

Between a well-placed 9, 40, 10, 45, etc.--It really isn't going to matter in the end.

On the other hand, if not well-placed, it really isn't going to matter in the end :wink:

Get whichever one YOU prefer.

( I edited my original post for clarification)

11. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Yea, lets not go there........................lets think placement, placement, placement instead, I'm already getting a headache anticipating the caliber wars................. :lol:

12. nixon

nixon Member

could not agree more with you Shooter, You're also right about warranty or guaranty for that matter. Bottom line is, it's always the manufacturer who will take care of it. Distributors act as facilitators only. Those lifetime warranty by anyone other than the maker is all marketing ploy.

Nixon,

13. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

The whole CDNN prices versus Davidson's when everything is all said and done is only 50$ more for the Davidson's and if they want the extra coverage and peace of mind then let them have it. No reason to scoff at them because where they are buying it at.

"Oh you should buy it from CDNN because they are cheaper blah blah blah."

For some people that extra peace of mind is needed and shouldn't be thrown to the side for price.

There is a Davidson's retailer near me that I could get one sent to for $442.92 and all I would have to do is go in and get my background check and pay the balance that is owed. Where with the $350 from CDNN plus the shipping plus the FFL charge quickly brings that total to $400+ depending on what your FFL charges. Plus you would have to find an FFL that would even let you get a gun shipped to them and have them fax or mail their FFL to CDNN if they haven't already done that. So the 50$ less in that case is nullified plus you have the EXTRA peace of mind if something was to go catastrophic with the gun.

We don't know yet to what extent SAI will cover before charging us to get it fixed. So far they have fixed everything for free you just had to pay the shipping to get the gun to them. Shipping a gun is a hassle and when returning the gun to Davidson's you just have to take it to a retailer of their's and then pay the shipping to get it Davidson's.

There is a lot more to take into effect than "OH just buy it from here because it is cheaper."

RainMan just buy the gun from whichever place you want and enjoy it. That is all that matters. If you want a .40 then get the .40 same goes for the 9mm. Don't worry about all of these ballistic stats and what not. Hopefully there will never come a time where you have to shoot someone. Just enjoy the gun.

14. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Ah, come on! it's just like a movie w/ multiple sequels. In fact, the next one could be called:

"CALIBER WARS, The return of the 9"

Just kidding! Like Shooter said it's about shot placement! Even a .22lr can be deadly w/ the right placement
    _______
    mugdava

15. yugo308guy

yugo308guy Member

Just for the record, my new M-A1 .40 from CDNN ran me $379 total with shipping and my FFL's transfer fee.

16. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

No Davidson's around here and more then a month isn't piece of mind its BS..........marketing.......Just send it to S&W, or Ruger, or Sig, or Berretta. And the last insult, Davidson's sent it back to the dealer instead of to her house which cost her another $50.00. For a grand total of $100.00 for the priviledge of the warranty........

17. tlrpunk

tlrpunk New Member

CDNN is awesome for both price and customer service. Shop around for an FFL dealer, there's a lot out there you may not know about. I found a guy that does transfers for $10!!! CDNN ships handguns for a flat rate of $12. Also, from what I've heard, SAI is a cut above the rest for warranty stuff. Why pay for an unnecessary extra warranty? I just don't see the advantage.

...and .40 rules. :lol:

18. Rainman

Rainman Guest

Thanks for all the feedback! I definately want to find the best deal and service out there. The reason I was looking at Davidson's is that the deal on a m40-a1 is currently 384.99. Apparently there is a sale that ends 10/31/07. And, just to put the caliber thing to bed - I know shot placement is what counts in any handgun, but I just have always preferred the .40s&w. This is only my preference and I'm just sticking with what I know, nothing at all wrong with 9mm. Once again thanks for all the feedback, and I hope to be joining your ranks as an owner very soon! 8)

19. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Red Means "Atta-Boy"
    Blue Means "ButtKiss"

20. Rick

Rick New Member

not to say the sale won't end 10/31, but when I bought in August, the sale was to end 8/19.