Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know if it's possible to learn to shoot again, I had a massive stroke in 2018 and a second 1.5 months later, my left arm has never regained good control in anything, I was hoping if anyone has had a stroke was able shoot again and could help me learn to do it again

·
Super Moderator
254 Posts
Hey man,
There is always hope, at my local range I know a former vet who had a stroke, been working on physical therapy and has modified his gun a bit but he is a awesome shooter. I've seen him on a pistol with a brace and recently saw him shoot clovers with a Ruger rifle. There is always hope, even in the low times when our own brain tries to bring us down. Pull on those around you, there are tons of supports in the community whether that’s shooting community or local support groups. Feel free to PM me anytime if there is anything I can do to help or just for a ear to talk to. I would start with physical therapy and look at some of the braces depending on what you shoot for pistols and modified rifles to help on your road to recovery so you can have some fun while recovering. There is a lot of gun options for pistol and rifles from stocks, slings, to thumb triggers that are all operated differently depending on need. There are a lot of tools out there and a lot of communities to help, celebrate the improvements no matter how small and keep at what you love.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Most important thing is that everyone is different, and damage and recovery will be different.
Some damage is critical and there may be no workaround, no plasticity.
Some doctors now believe they can retrain pathways even after large strokes affecting one side.
They use intensive therapy for weeks or months as quickly as possible after the event.
Having learned some new skills the last few years, I think we forget what it's like when we're kids.
I usually feel frustrated and inept and then at some point, it just all clicks and it's suddenly easy.
Easy to think I could never get it right.

I don't know if these will relate to your experience, but a few ideas.
I think our internal clock is crucial for everything we do.
I don't know if you can improve that if it's not working right.
I was having difficulty with a very light, high geometry handgun, also with a long double action trigger.
Trainer told me to stop trying to force the gun into a completely still position and time my shots for a line on the target.
I immediately improved and have stayed better.
I have realized timing is a major part of this.
He also taught me some tactical gun handling, and lucky enough to work using a gun, I spent lots of time using these and they suddenly came together one day.
I've been frustrated shooting with poorer vision than I used to have.
I stopped trying to force myself to see the way I once could and just use what I had.
Almost had to to shoot with both eyes open.
Essentially I relearned to shoot with what I've got.
Curious thing is I got much better.

I also tried something I had seen suggested in a story,
It had dramatic results for me.
Writer suggested if you are shooting too perfectly, you are shooting too slow for defense.
I tried speeding up shots and remarkably, I got much better and even faster.
I never thought that was possible with such a difficult gun to master.
I'm actually finding it hard to slow down shots now.

I hope some of this is useful.
Keep at it.
Use any support groups you can find.

One of the best shots I know had a stroke.
I'll ask him, but it was milder than yours I think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts