strange problem m9-a1

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by asdzxc, Jan 22, 2008.

1. asdzxc

asdzxc Guest

haya again :)
    1100 rounds no jam nor any kind of problem except this:

i dont know the english word for this part of the bullet (not the part that flys out, but the one that stays in the gun and it is ejected by the ejector)
    after it is ejected the bottom part (where the firing pin hits the bullet) looks like this
    [​IMG] (thats the bottom of the bullet)
    there a dot in the middle (dont know the word for that part, its the one part that makes the explotion) (thats normal :)) , and a scratch around 1mm high, its like the firing pin scratched it on its way out
    i have no idea how can this happen, its not problem if you guys think its normal and it can not damage my firing pin :)

i keep my gun clean, and oiled and i take really good care for it, i dont know what can be the cause of this scratch.
    does any of you got similiar problem?
    the bad thing is that i dont know if this problem was from the beginning of the pistol or it occured soon
    i noticed it around 300 rounds ago.

the gunguy said its not normal for this to happen, and it could damage my pin, the other gun guy said "its no problem, if it breaks we will make new one" so i dont know what to do.

p.s. sorry for my poor english, i hope you understand what i mean
    p.p.s i am sorry i cant take real photo of it, i tryed with gsm today but couldnt make nice photo that you can see the scratch, and i dont have normap photo camera, so i did my best with mspaint :)

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I believe that mark is from your Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI)... This is a common thing with the Steyrs, and certainly nothing to worry about.

3. asdzxc

asdzxc Guest

i think the mark from LCI is the scratch on the top of it (the top dot i drew), i am talking about scratch starting from the center moveing up, near the central dot it is almost as deep as the dot, and then it fades until it disappears, its length is around 1-2mm.

[​IMG]

i am posting another picture with pointer :)

i am just confirming we are talking about the same thing, if that scratch in the middle is from LCI i will be very happy :)

p.s. i am sure i sound very confusing, its pretty hard for me to type what i mean sorry

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

As Syntax said, this is fairly common and it's been named "firing pin smears" by those who've reported it. Apparently caused by the LCI and it is not a problem. Just keep on shooting. :mrgreen:

5. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Net, I don't think that smear is from the LCI but the firing pin itself. Very common in Glocks also. And as stated not a problem. Also associated with bagels.......smear that is..... :lol:

6. asdzxc

asdzxc Guest

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH :)
    darn (d amn is censored :)) i was worried.

p.s. thanks again

7. nuj

nuj New Member

welcome to the forum,
    yes that small dot was cause by the firing pin indicator. it's normal and no cause for alarm. at least now you'll be able to tell which case is yours after shooting :wink:

8. RoarsWithBoars

RoarsWithBoars New Member

Was wondering about the same thing. I have seen the extra dot of the LCI before. But the "firing pin smear"? Never. ... I feared my little honey catched a cold. ;) But now i'am content.

9. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Yep, my M357-A1 has the LCI ground off and the brass still has smears/marks . No worries! :)
    _______
    mugdava