Strange issue on the range last night..

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by DAIadvisor, Aug 25, 2007.

1. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor New Member

Went to qualify for my PD with my XD45. Brought S40 along for company. Temperature was about 100 degrees. After everyone was done, started shooting the S. At first everything went pretty smooth, then started getting strange FTFs - round is pointing down in the magazine at about 20 degree angle, slide locked back. If you pull the slide back, it chambers with no problems. That was with Winchester White Box. About every 2 or 3 rounds you'd get that FTF. Someone told me that they are notoriously underpowered and cause these kinds of malfunctions. Just to prove the point, I put in couple GoldDots and functioned without any issues. This happened with all 3 magazines, and also happened with the XD earlier (only once or twice). So here's possible causes:

1. Sweaty hands - limp-wristing it due to excessive moisture
    2. Ammo issues - White Box
    3. Combination of 1 and 2.

Has anyone had this issue before? Any info appreciated.

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I shoot WWB almost exclusively in my M357-A1 and also in 9mm in my S&W 669 subcompact and never had any problems. I haven't tried a lot of other brands of FMJ because WWB is cheap and available at Wally World, but I've seen several comments from others here that WWB is a little hotter than average FMJs and SD rounds, not underpowered.

Peculiar situation with your XD. Maybe it likes air-conditioning. :D Just kidding.

Been awfully hot here, too, and I haven't been to the range in too long. A poor excuse is better than none a'tall.

3. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

had that happen with my SW 40VE and Steyr using used SW40 surplus mags with worn springs

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

WWB is hot. and very snappy. look up the chronographs. definitely not underpowered.

might be worn mag springs. might be a dirty mag.

i'm assuming you tap your mags?

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Had that happen with S&B, but not WWB.

6. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor New Member

Definitely tapped and cleaned my mags. My gun was also (and I do mean) spotless - I cleaned it 3 times before I took it to the range, including a comlete dissassembly. Also, I never had this issue before during test fires in room temperature.

I strongly suspect sweat and oil from cleaning on the grip created slippery surface, which caused me to unwillingly limp-wrist the gun. So this makes me think maybe some grip tape is in order.

BTW, just as a joke, ran couple Silver Bears thorugh it ( I know, don't hate me) - just as expected - jammed every shot. :)

7. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya DAI* :)

Think MrA an' BT are in the neighborhood w/ the weak mag springs ideal. Same thing happens when I cut the mag springs a little too short when tweakin' 'em for max capacity mags. Get ya some +10% Power springs from Wolff and go again. Ya reckon that its hot enuf to create a weak mag spring situration? :shock: I know its been pretty dayam hot here in Colorado for this time o' yr. <shrug> Let us know what ya find out. Good luck, Dude. :)

Wulf

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Maybe you need a Hogue Handall grip or the small Tool Grip that Syntax and others like so much. Overcomes sweat, which we all have been doing a lot of lately. The Hogue Handall works fine for me and from what others have said the small Hogue tool grip works even better. Check the Hogue grip thread for a link to both. :mrgreen:

9. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I would hunt for a mechanical cause; limp wristing seems to me to be a last resort explanation with that many malfs.