Still jamming

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by drivr3g, Oct 7, 2007.

1. drivr3g

drivr3g Guest

Well i took my M40-a1 to the range last night and again it started jamming after about 250 rounds, it seems like i am getting some brass shavings in the rails and thhats preventing it from fully closing and causing it to misfire. I'v been told that it will eventually go away,--hopefully
    [​IMG].

2. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

brass

what kind of ammo are you using? also you don't want to use to much lube or oil as this will cause the brass to stick to the rail.

3. madecov

madecov Active Member

I lube the crap out of my gun

I use a weapon grease on the rails, and barrel

I use an oil on the trigger group and sear. I place one drop of oil on the extractor plunger.

I think for a break in using more lube is better.

I get my shooting glasses coated in oil when I shoot.
    My M40A1 has been fine, I've shot over 250 rounds in one session with it (socially) and around 500 rounds in a firearms training through my department.

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

the good news is that very few fire-fights last 250 rounds.

i'm not sure how many rounds you've put through it (apologies if you've covered this somewhere else) but the brass shavings will go away as the rails wear.

i, as madecov, HOSE my weapon with lube and shake it off. i wipe the drippy-ness away with a patch, but keep all moving parts except the firing pin channel basically thoroughly lubed.

one of my favorite things to do is to draw my weapon that has been holstered for countless days/weeks and fire my carry ammo. i have no problems firing any number of rounds, even through the accumulated lint that surrounds a pistol that's been carried for weeks between firing.

i've also gone over 1000 rounds without cleaning. i got bored with the torture test and grew tired of the dirty weapon that was not malfunctioning in any way so i cleaned it.

in short, keep shooting it. clean it if you like. if it's giving you much grief beyond 600 rounds, give SAI a call.

5. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

+1 Big Time!

Where is it shaving the brass?

I slightly beveled (rounded) one sharp edge on my M9, and it got rid or the my brass shaving problem.

6. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I'm glad it's evening and my beverages have already been consumed for the day. If I read that in the morning, I'd had coffee all over my keyboard. Thanks for a good laugh, BT.

Now I feel better. I reckon 15 in the mag, one in the pipe and a pair of extra mags on the belt with 15 each ought to cover most eventualities with 46 rounds of 357 Sig. If that don't cover it, that extra 204 rounds probably won't help either. :mrgreen:

As for the lube recommendations, I agree with one extra. I love Slide Glide Lite. Seems to me a bit on the frame rails and the inside of the slide and my pistols just shoot slicker than a mole's behind. Keeps elephants away, too. I haven't seen an elephant around here in I can't remember when. :mrgreen:

7. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

How about this stuff ???

GunButter
    http://www.gunbutter.com/

Ever use it ???

Hey someone please do tell me how to insert links the cool way like Netfotoj....

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Don't know squat about gun butter, but here's how you do a link in text:

First go to or get the url you want and copy it onto the clipboard of your computer ("highlight url text and use keyboard shortcut "Cntrl" and "c"). Then highlight the text you want to link to in the message window here at Steyrclub. Click on the "URL" button at top of window. Text will now have "" in front of text and "" after text. Put cursor inside"" in between the "l" and the "]". T...also references. Happy linking! :mrgreen:

9. heavymetalmachine

Cool I hope I can figure that one out :)

Can't make it easy huh :lol: :lol:

Thanks....

Cool pic's

Hey it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. heavymetalmachine

Netfotoj

So which do you use??

Slide-Glide Lite, #1, or #3?

11. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Lite. And as they used to say about Brylcream, a little dab'll do ya!

Brian Enos even throws in a small brush to apply it with. Lite is recommended for all carry weapons.

12. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

:D :D

Now that's funny ! I heard a saying today that I will use on my team mates. "You as useless as a soap dispenser in a public restroom". We know it should be used, but sometimes we simply walk by it.

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO ---- " I use it!" or some other CDC benefits. Just thought the saying was funny.

I carry my shooting bag with me all the time. If I'm pulled over, I hate to explain why there are 5 mags and two hundred rounds in my vehicle. Hopefully the USPSA sticker will enlighten them.

See Ya,
    MTS

13. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

I was having some problems early on when I was shooting the Steyr. When I shot, I had some jams. I thought it was my lubing, not enough/too much. I thought it was it was the ammo (I used the same and had good days and some bad).

I ended up attaching some grip tape.

Sounds weird, but my hands fit good to the grip, but not perfect/like a glove.
    When shooting, my hands sweat.

All of this goes into the shot. I was able to add a little grip to the handle so the pistol was secure in my hand with movement. From that point on, most of if not all have been illiminated.

It might be just me, but I "ain't messin' wit' it.

Take Care,
    MTS