SteyrNewbie, new gun, same problems

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Steyrei, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Steyrei

Steyrei New Member

well, I purchased my M9-A1 thru CDNN. I always liked the M-series but didn't have the money at the time. Also, the newer model was coming out.

I cleaned it last night and oiled it. I purposely bought some different ammo to test it out. I went to the range today with it for the first time. I went thru about 100 rounds of Blazer Brass and Blazer Alum. then I loaded up some S&B 115 grain(my SIG 226 loves it), got through 9 rounds, then I had a ftf. I cleared ejected the mag, cleared the round from the weapon, then loaded the mag again and racked the slide. Then I had another ftf except this time the slide wouldn't budge. I tried breaking it down and no luck. I tried pushing, pulling the slide and nothing happened.

So, I packed it up and brought it to the gunsmith and left it there. Needless to say, I am disappointed. I knew the risk of teething problems with Steyrs were there, but was hoping for a trouble-free pistol. :(

From what I've been reading, this isn't an unusual occurrence for Steyr M-A1s. Any tips?

Thanks

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Lose the S&B and check the Good, Bad, and Ugly thread in the Ammunition section before your next trip to the range. S&B is a known offender - you should be just fine sticking with CCI or Winchester White Box or virtually any of the modern self-defense loadings (though I doubt you want to spend a fortune on the good stuff for range use). If you have any issues while using "recommended" ammunition from the aforementioned thread, I would suggest sending the pistol into SAI to have the extractor and plunger swapped out for the new version. Many users report the CDNN pistols as using the old style parts, which does seem to correlate to extraction and feeding issues for many users.

3. Steyrei

Steyrei New Member

I did check it, but didn't see anything bad about S&B. I also didn't see anything about Fiocchi either.

Besides the Wolf and the UMC, what else should one be wary of running thru a Steyr?

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Has anybody tried Fiocchi brand with your M40 ?

Stupid search feature won't search for S&B or S&B ammo, but I know there's posts in the ammo section somewhere saying stay away from S&B, it's a known offender. Generally for cheap range ammo, stick with CCI Blazer Brass and Winchester White Box. They're both almost as cheap as the ultra-cheap stuff but much higher quality. No problems with either.

5. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

The MA1 and the M are particular about their ammunition unfortunately. I have stuck with CCI Blazer Brass and Winchester White Box and have had good, safe, and reliable operation with those brands. I don't mind having to be select with ammunition, because of the benefits I get from the Steyr pistol that I have not found with other pistols (ergonomics, natural point, low muzzle flip, etc.).

I find that Walmart tends to have a the best ammo prices around my neck of the woods, but every now and then a sale pops-up at a sporting goods store that I take advantage of.

There are people who are reloading as well on this forum and have brought that to a science that seems to result in good operation for them.

Good luck.

6. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Sorry to hear of your trouble.....but don't give up on your Steyr. The more you shoot it the better it will get. I haven't had any trouble with any of the "offender" ammo including S&B. Sometime after the break-in process you might find your pistol will eat anything. Maybe not. But that break in period is important. Tolerances are tight, finishes new. This will be a great pistol for you.....ask any of us.... :D

7. Steyrei

Steyrei New Member

oh, I am not giving up on it. I'll fire a thousand or so Blazer Brass rounds thru it and then branch out. I am sure it will be just fine. I intend to use it for CCW so I have some higher-end HP ammo to run thru it.

8. HowlinJoe

HowlinJoe Premium Member

I have been having these problems with my new M9-A1, as well. Only got 50 rounds through it the 1st time out - but <fair enough> that was just me being over-sensitive about a stove-pipe in a new pistol.

I'm working through it - trying not to get pissed when I get an FTF. Last week at the range I ran about 200 more rounds through the gun. Had four more FTF's, but We're still not up to the magic 500 rounds yet. I'm staying with it though. Why??? Look below. The center mass shots are the Steyr and the head shots are my Glock 19 both at 15 yards.

I love the way this gun shoots! I just hope we can get it to where I have the confidence to carry it. If it eventually stops jamming, it should be quite a gun!!

Attached Files:

9. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I have not run S&B thru my M9, but I had a lot of FTFs with a case of S&B in my Glock 19 a number of years ago.

10. unit1069

unit1069 Member

What kind of ammo are you using at the range?

11. HowlinJoe

HowlinJoe Premium Member

Well, I had a 100 round bag of reloads from the gun show, and a box of 250 of the dreaded Remington UMC's. It was the UMC's that gave me the 4 FTF's - especially after the gun started to get dirty...

12. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

No Name Gun Show reloads and known offender UMC ammunition.

And only 4 malfunctions.

Not bad, actually....

13. MACHINgunIST

MACHINgunIST Guest

I've heard of FTFs in Glocks w/ S&B too.

14. HowlinJoe

HowlinJoe Premium Member

Went to the range again today. Put another 200 rounds through the M9-A1. All UMC and Academy house brand. Sorry, but if I can't feed this crappy ammo through my pistol, it won't be my pistol for very long.

Happy news - no FTF's, no problems. Gun shoots great, love how it double-taps. It's a pleasure to shoot.

Guess there's a lot to be said for the 500 round break-in period. We're approaching 500 rounds - maybe a little short.

We'll see...

15. unit1069

unit1069 Member

The first range trip with my M9-A1 was flawless. I came home and cleaned and lubed the pistol like I thought I was supposed to do. The second time at the range I had multiple FTEs and was very discouraged. The Conservation agent who happened to be there at the time told me I should clean and lube it like the Glock G-22 she was carrying because Austrian pistols don't need much.

I followed her advice and cleaned the gun and wiped out all the old lube and only put a bit of oil in the right places. Since then the Steyr has been flawless the last half-dozen outings, even with the wrong magazine springs that came with the pistol.

I don't count the occasional failure of the slide to lock back after the last round a flaw, as this was the result of the weaker mag springs. My buddy and I bought Steyrs at the same time and replaced the mag springs at the same time. He's shot his since and told me his slide locks back every time now. I haven't shot mine since replacing the springs but expect the same result.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  16. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Steyrei:

Try running some American Eagle thru the gun and see what happens. I have never had a malf with it in any caliber in any gun.

17. noah

noah New Member

I've always had good luck with s&b. I use it in all my guns even full auto's. No more problems than any other brands. I used to get federal, win and umc when they were affordable but when buying in bulk I get the cheepest brass case available.

18. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

WHAAAAAT????

Tell me it ain't so, Joe!!!!!!

:D snicker :D

19. Guufball

Guufball Member

I've pumped nothing but federal, or gold dot through mine with no problems.