Steyr was once division of Mercedes?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Netfotoj, Nov 18, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I work for an industry owned by a German company, Hako. I never heard of Steyr until I read a recent gun review on the MA1 and have since made plans to buy a M357-A1. So when some of the Germans from Hako visited our NC plant, I asked one if he knew anything about Steyr guns.

"Very good company," he replied, "Steyr is a division of Mercedes."

I was impressed, but as Reagan said, trust, but verify. So I googled it.

I found this historical sketch at http://aeiou.iicm.tugraz.at/aeiou.encyc ... ANGUAGE=en and http://aeiou.iicm.tugraz.at/aeiou.encyc ... 358611.htm:

"Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG, important Austrian metal-processing enterprise, developed in 1934 out of the merger of Austro-Daimler-Puchwerke AG and Steyr-Werke AG."

I presume that's the Mercedes link referred to by the Hako visitor, as Daimler-Benz is the name of the manufacturer of Mercedes Benz.

The sketch details the beginning of the gun company, "In 1830, Leopold Werndl founded a rifle factory in Steyr, (Austria) which was turned into an arms factory ("Österreichische Waffenfabriksgesellschaft") by his son Josef Werndl in 1869. The production of armaments was replaced by bicycle production from 1894 and automobile production from 1918; from 1923 the company was called Steyr-Werke AG."

"During the Second World War, the company again produced armaments under the name Reichswerke Hermann Göring."

I presume that is the company owned by the famous WWII German who was a leading member of the Nazi Party, second in command of the Third Reich, and commander of the Luftwaffe. He was tried for war crimes and crimes against humanity at the Nuremberg Trials in 1945-1946 and sentenced to death.

Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG went back into automotive production after WWII.

"During World War II the Steyr factory Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG produced 11% of all German guns. Since 1955 it has also produced all guns for the Austrian army (automatic rifle 58, automatic rifle 77, marksman´s rifle 69, machine gun 74) together with Mannlicher AG & Co KG. Steyr-Mannlicher AG & Co KG also produces pistols and weapons for hunting and sports shooting."

"In 1998 the entire Creditanstalt shares (66.8 % of Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG) was sold to Magna Holding AG with the exception of Steyr-Mannlicher (guns)."

So maybe the Hako visitor is right, and Steyr guns were part of the Daimler Benz congolomerate until 1998, when it was split off. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of German industry can correct me.

And perhaps Steyr gun owners can justifiably claim their arms as the "Mercedes" of pistols.

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

"During the Second World War, the company again produced armaments under the name Reichswerke Hermann Göring."

Oh, great. I also heard Hermann had an FTE problem.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    "And perhaps Steyr gun owners can justifiably claim their arms as the "Mercedes" of pistols."

Better that than the Volkswagen or the Third Reich of pistols.
    (Couldn't resist 8) )

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Mercedes of pistols

Herman also had an FTH (Failure To Hang) problem. If I remember my Nuremburg trials history accurately, he was sentenced to death by hanging but killed himself with poison like his good buddy Adolf, but alas, had no pistol to hasten the end. :twisted:

4. penguin

penguin Guest

Re: Mercedes of pistols

ahahahahahahaahah friggen hilarious!