Steyr virgin!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Integraholic, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Integraholic

Integraholic New Member

Hey everyone. I purchased my Steyr M9 yesterday. Haven't shot it yet but I can tell I'm going to love this gun. I had a Glock 26 before, but this 9mm feels WAY better in my hands. I sold the Glock a long time ago and wanted a better carry weapon than my 1911. I could conceal it, but it was still too big and bulky. I can tell owning this gun will be like sex for my shooting hand.

BTW, I got the link to this site from The High Road. Glad to see I have a forum dedicated to my new sex partner....er gun. Don't tell my fiancé I said that.....

2. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

Welcome to the club! Time to hose you down... We won't tell if you don't. :eek:

-D

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Welcome to the steyr family. To bad you couldn't find a M40, that's a man size caliber. Im sure your 9mm will get the job done though, just might take a few more rounds. By the way the steyr isn't the most comfortable gun to carry, mine seems to poke me in my belly because of the long area behind the grip. One more thing before I go, don't put down 1911s they are still one of the finest shooting guns out there, not to mention a real manstopper of a round!

4. Integraholic

Integraholic New Member

Hell, I LOVE my Kimber. Best gun I've ever, or will ever own. No gun shop carries Steyr around here, so I just happened to come across this one. I agree the 9mm isn't the best caliber for stopping power. Guess I just have to work on my headshots. Hahaha. That's one of the reasons I sold my Glock too, the small caliber. But a day at the range with a 9mm is WAY cheaper than a day at the range with .45.

5. CGuns

CGuns New Member

If you read up on what most trauma MD's say, they will tell you that there is very little difference in common auto pistol calibers when it comes to wounds....this includes 9mm, .40 and .45.

Advances in bullet design has significantly benefitied the 9mm cartridge in the past decade.

The difference in diameter between 9mm and .45 is this: ..
    Do 2 extra periods on your computer monitor make a on-shot man dropper? No.

Dr. Martin Fackler states it. He is an expert on bullet wounds. Shot placement drops threats, not bullets.
    You have 14 chances to get it right with a Steyr M9.

You would have 7-8 chances with a .45

If I was in a dark alley and 3 gang bangers came up, I would feel a little lean with only 7 or 8 shots, regardless of caliber.

Some food for thought.

Winchester Ranger SXT in the +P format along with the Speer Gold Dot in the +P format represent the cutting edge in 9mm hollowpoint performance.

6. Ripped

Ripped New Member

indeed.. it can be lethal be it .22 .25 .32 .380 9mm .40 sig357 .45.. its all about knowing how to use your weapon and put the lead where it needs to go. maybe its just me.

[​IMG]

yes gentlemen and ladies,, even our very own B.S. tells us to put it "IN THE ZONE" LOL

[​IMG]

7. CGuns

CGuns New Member

That center of Mass target thing bothers me....as in the above picture.

I ALWAYS shoot for the upper chest and the windpipe/trachea area, as well as headshots.

I understand about the hydrostatic effect but unless you hit the sternum, you aren't going to be doing optimal damage between the chest and the waist.

You need to disrupt blood flow or breathing....Upper Chest offers both, with the heart and lungs in line with one another....Plus, you can get a brain stem/spinal chord hit if you are lucky.

8. Ripped

Ripped New Member

Luck is black,Dark brown blood. typically means the perp has 8 minutes to get it right with god. :)

9. Integraholic

Integraholic New Member

Hell, I'll carry both then. One of em is bound to do the job. Hahaha. Thanks for the welcome guys.

10. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

Welcome to the Brotherhood,

You'll find that there are some very well informed sources on all things Steyr found within this website. I'll give you some friendly advice on things I think every new Steyr pistol owner should know:

1. Do a complete detailed cleaning of your Steyr as per the cleaning tutorials found within this website. Some Steyr pistols have been in storage for years in high heat so be warned that more than a field strip will be needed.

2. A breakin period will be necessary, the ejection pattern on the old M-series is somewhat erratic, a problem that has been resolved with the A1 extractor, and you'll have to watch for flying brass toward your head for the first 500 rounds. It doesn't happen all the time and is very sporadic, but does happen.

3. The Steyr is a picky eater...stay away from cheap low quality ammo such as Wolf or you'll invite problems. I personally like to use Blazzer for practice and Speer Gold Dot.

4. A range report is a critical right of passage here for all new members so post your initial impressions of the pistol as soon as you are done firing it for the first time.

In closing, I think you'll be very happy with your Steyr M9 and enjoy the joys of shooting even more than in the past thanks to its natural point.

Safe Shooting

11. hihoslva

hihoslva New Member

What an ignorant thing to say - especially as a first post in this forum. Shows a complete lack of knowledge.

12. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

easy there hiho, i know most of us disagree w/ that statement, but let's not try to start a flame war. Never been one here and i like that. 8)

13. hihoslva

hihoslva New Member

Agreed.

14. bigbob68

bigbob68 New Member

I have passed the break-in period and I never experienced any ejection problems/erractic but that is probably due to the fact that I did a complete takedown and cleaning and polish. Over 700rnds now w/o failure. Now I need to decide what holster to get for this M9.

15. Integraholic

Integraholic New Member

Mine is in very nice condition. Bought it from a gun store that took it in on trade from a bounty hunter. Inside of the barrel looks like a mirror and theres hardly any wear on the outside of it. Looks very well taken care of. Theres actually hardly any wear and tear on it at all. I'll be going to the range tomorrow anyhow.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Yow! I didn't mean to stir up such a hornets nest! Honest! Up here where I come from we call it "yankin' yer chain". It was just for fun. We all have our favorite handgun cartridge, some are based on scientific findings, some on what we've been told by the guy behind the counter at the local gun shop, and some because of what we have seen on the street. Lets face it this is one debate that will go on until they start making lazer guns. Any bad guy would choose not to be shot by any of them.

Sorry if I pissed anyone of with my ignorant statements. I know you guys are all armed.

Remember. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and everyone elses stinks.

17. CGuns

CGuns New Member

I am with Hiho on this one.

Dear sir, I know you are new.

Part of being in the Steyr club, a defining characteristic if you will, is that we are "Smarter than your Average Glocker". You can even buy a Number Plate for your vehicle that states this.

We also like to keep it clean here, language wise. I know you are new, just filling you in so others don't stomp on you.

Regards, CGuns

18. Integraholic

Integraholic New Member

Sounds good. Glad to be here. =)

19. Integraholic

Integraholic New Member

I got some pics, but I dont know where to host them so I can show you all. Anyone able to host for me?

20. hiramabiff

hiramabiff New Member

Wounds and stopping power are two different things. With a higher caliber and a good ammo the aggressor should stop even with a high adrenalin rush but that is if you only have one opponent to knock off.

Higher and lower caliber issue is like asking which came first the egg or the hen? :D

Oh oh not again! :oops:

If I will be in a better situation anything else will do! My bare hands could even do the job! :wink:

It is the "situation", all depends on the situation, my wife said! Agree?