Steyr Update 08-22-07

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Walking Stick, Aug 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Walking Stick

Walking Stick New Member

I started getting antsy not knowing what was going on with Steyr and the lack of updates, especially since I'm in the market for a compact .357SIG pistol. I e-mailed Herr Bauer and received a response within three days from Jack Riddle at Steyr Arms Customer Service.

Q: When does Steyr plan on entering its pistols back into the US marketplace? I had heard September 2007.
    A: "The new M-A1 and S pistols should be arriving early next year".

Q: Will there ever be an S357-A1 available? If so, when?
    A: "[T]he S357-A1 will probably be [arriving] in the late spring".

Q: Does Steyr plan on obtaining more industry support, especially for holsters?
    A: "The Steyrclub site, https://www.steyrclub.com, has a listing of holsters under its Pistols section, both synthetic and leather".

Q: Will there ever be low-light trapezoidal sights available for Steyr pistols? Either from factory or an authorized manufacturer?
    A: "Two companies are working on the possibility of a trapezoid low light sighing system, and we are looking at the 3 dot system from Tricon and a fiberoptic/night sight combo with TruGlow. I hope to have something to offer in about 60 days".

Well, I hope this answers a few unasked questions floating through some of your minds for the time being. Although we're still being forced to wait evermore, it seems like they are headed in a positive direction. Whenever the Steyr S357-A1 does become available, I will definitely be in the front of the line.

I've also been eying the HK P2000-SK-V3 in .357SIG closely. Does anyone have experience with this pistol or have heard anything of worth regarding it? By they way, I own for self-defense and shoot for recreation. I especially liked the option of being able to safely decock this HK, just like with my SIG Sauer P226 Elite-357.

-Walking Stick

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Walkin'stick :)

Good handle, Dude. :p Thanx for the update. I really encourage other's to follow your lead in the "talk to the Big Dawgs" approach ta findin' out what ya wanna know. Ya nailed it on the head for whom to ask for latest developments for "anything Steyr". If ya find out anything more, plz post. Thanx again. :)

Wulf <-- thinkin', "good show Walkin'stick" :)

3. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Answer questions? Thanks for taking the time and effort to ask, but I heard about probabilities, possibilities, "early spring" and "early next year". More delay and no real answers. A pity.

I guess the bottom line for me, and this isn't by choice, is whether SAI will have the parts and personnel to service the guns that I aready own.

If they get their act together that is all fine and good, but I refuse to sit here waiting like a girl waiting for the phone to ring on date night.

Buzz

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Parts availability does seem to be hindering some would-be aftermarket possibilities... I wish SAI would address this issue first and foremost. Perhaps we do all need to get on board and keep these guys on their toes - maybe if the cry for acknowledgment gets loud enough, they'll buckle down and start getting some stuff done.

5. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I hate to say it, but in the grand scheme of things, we aren't even on their radar. If we were we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

I'm sorry to sound so negative, but it has become clear to me that Steyr and SAI have more to worry about than a bunch of enthusiasts at an Internet forum. They have kindly answered our questions, and I truly believe that they mean well, but which of those responses has turned out to have anythig to do with any advancement with the chief issues that are our concern?

I'll believe it when I see it. I really don't want to be strung along. If they don't know, say so. If it's going to be a good while before something will happen, then say so.

Buzz

6. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

Hi Buzz,

They don't know for sure and its going to be a while.

Steyr-Mannlicher manufacturers a quality firearm at a fair price.
    It is understandable that in the wake of near bankruptcy and new ownership they might have to focus their energies on the most profitable and sustainable aspects of their business as they see fit. I hope they make good choices and recognize the potential of the US personal defense & recreational shooter market. It would be great to see them return to the US market with vigor.

Meanwhile, we have other choices.

At the moment don't have money burning a hole in my pocket or a critical need so next spring or thereabouts sounds ok to me.

7. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Yes, I'm fortunate enough to be very familiar with the excellence of Steyr. I've been shooting them for twenty years. Lots of people make quality firearms who have been able to serve their customers with the proper support. Let's face it, except for very recent, and temporary, history, their track record is pretty bad when it comes to promoting/supporting their products in the US.

But yes, you are quite correct, it does take time. You have said so. They have not. All we've heard is to wait a few more months. Now it's next year. Okay fine, but there comes a point where it becomes obvious that they really don't know. Fine. Good. Just say so. I'll gladly wait, but stringing us along with dates that come and go is bad business and downright annoying.

Yeah, there are plenty of choices. And I've got my Steyrs, five of them. I just expected more out of a company that I have only known for their innovative excellence.

Buzz

8. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

All the foregoing said, I guess the bottom line is that they want to maintain interest during a time of change, while wanting to be postive about a future that is fairly unknown, so I guess we do what Squirrelpotpie has said and sit back and wait for news. I can live with that. Fortunately for now we do have the good folks at SAI who have shown themselves to be top notch many times over. I hope that they know that in Austria.

And heck, it's not like I don't have anything to shoot (Steyr-wise). But dang, Steyr has always amazed me!

Buzz

9. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

We could all just save up and buy AUGs in the meantime :p. Or, I always advocate trying to do something different with the pistols you already have - we may be helpless to push S-M along, but we can attack the aftermarket companies in the meantime with requests. There certainly are mods out there for the pistol already - I wish more people would mix and match some of them and turn out some wicked builds. :twisted:

10. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

I understand the frustration. It is hard to see a good company screw up. I think here in America we are so accustomed to overblown hype, empty promises and vaporware ie microsoft, apple etc we don't know how to take quiet cautious understatement. You are right we have been strung along a bit: they had us waiting for a big announcement in March which turned into new ownership, a new finish and a new line of upscale hunting rifles. Various Steyrclub members (Wulf, Netfoto...) email exchanges with their marketing guy in Austria led us to believe that S pistols including .357 are definitely in the pipeline and that the S357 was undergoing 20k round reliability testing and that new higher capacity mags are also being developed and we would see product by the end of the summer. The marketing guy also indicated that we would not see large frame pistols until the M series was better established (ie profitable) rather than shine us on with suggestions that there release is in the pipeline, so I am inclined to trust these guys and give them the benefit of the doubt even though it is the end of the summer and now we are told it will probably be another six months for the S pistols.

I truly think they are working on it and i hope their production delays are caused by larger than expected demand by m/p overseas for their fine M pistols because with m success comes the greater likelihood of L development and a fine 10mm Steyr pistol down the road.

11. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I think that is often the case. Probably the best thing we can do is sit back and wait and let them sort things out.

That said, one important interim step would be to assure the US market that there will be adequate parts and staff here to service Steyrs for many years to come. Maybe they have already made that assurance? New products are one thing, but servicing what you have already sold is critical and an issue form the past that I have seen as a major sticking point that folks have in acquiring their first Steyr. A very strong formal public statement from them re-affirming their committment to servicing their products would go a long way towards dealing with that issue.

To me everything beyond knowing that I can keep my guns running for many years to come is icing on the cake.

Buzz

12. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

So I bought a Walther PPK while waiting. Which gun is next?

13. I'm pretty sure this is all a problem that goes back to that Iran sale of Steyr HS-50s back in 2004. I believe I read somewhere that the sanctions against Steyr put in place by the State Department will be lifted in December of this year.

At least we'll get the new Mannox Finish on all new Steyr pistols and rifles, which is suppose to be the new industry gold standard in toughness.

14. PanamaDave

PanamaDave Guest

15. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

SELFDEFENSE wrote:
    Iran sale?

I said with tongue in cheek, since the "Iran Sale" topic usually sets off a firestorm

16. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hi Guys :)

Just off the cuff, is anyone still in contact with Ripped? :shock: Plz ask 'im ta PM me. Hava great weekend. :)

Wulf

17. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

If questions about the Iran sale by Steyr should come up, refer to the statement linked on the homepage of SAI: No Austrian weapons found with terrorists

And there's also a link there for the original German newspaper article, if you sprechen ze deutsch (sp?).

Flash! This just in, statement from Aminanutjob, exalted potentate of Iran:

18. I mention the Iran sale not because I believe it was wrong or that the HS-50s turned up in Iran, because we all know that the story about insurgents in Iraq using HS-50s turned out to be bogus.

What did happen though is Secretary Rice in all her wisdom decided to sanction Steyr even though they didn't make full delivery of their sale after the U.S. protested to it. I believe that sanction included restriction on LEO sales and may be the reason Steyr has not been importing pistols into the US. I'm not sure though so I'm just guessing here. What I do know is that the sanction is dead as of December unless DOS extends it, which I don't think they'll do.