Steyr: Stocked & Silenced

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Cortland, May 31, 2007.

1. Cortland

Cortland Guest

After eight (count them ... EIGHT) long months of waiting, the good folks at SAI were finally able to get my factory threaded M9 barrel to me:

[​IMG]

It all started when I sent off the paperwork to turn my pistol into an SBR back in March of 2006, so this little project has been well over a year in the making. And now -- finally -- all is complete! :D

2. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

Dude!

That is the whole business! Where did you get the stock? Would that work on an A1 model? Totally cool. Later,

3. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

That is sweet indeed! Did you need the paperwork for the threaded barrel or just the SBR permit? Because Im interested in getting a threaded barrel for my 40.

4. smores

smores Guest

Looks like the stocks IGB sells for Glocks...

5. Cortland

Cortland Guest

If I'm not mistaken, the stocks that IGB sells for Glocks that also happen to work on Steyrs are really stocks for Steyrs that also happen to work on Glocks. Note the logo on the buttstock.

I got the stock through MDW Guns, who is IGB's American importer. They're readily available, but MDW will want to see your Form 1 before they'll sell you a stock.

Paperwork is required for the silencer and to register the pistol as an SBR so that you can legally attach the stock, but threaded pistol barrels are not federally regulated. Some states may have restrictions, but not mine.

6. Dag

Dag Guest

Steyr Buttstock

Hi Cortland

That is definitely a cool looking rig, but I gotta ask: When would you want a silencer and a buttstock on a pistol? I always thought buttstocks helped with making longer range shots, but a silencer is for up close and personal work (due to loss of velocity and accuracy). What would be the application? Thanks.

Dag

7. Cortland

Cortland Guest

Modern silencers do not degrade accuracy at all and have little effect on velocity. Velocity will be lower with subsonic ammunition, but not so low as to significantly change the effective range compared to the range without the silencer.

Additionally, it looks cool.

8. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

...I read somewhere [cant remember off the top of my head... but will find and edit post] that Suppressors [NOT silencers] can actually improve accuracy....

I like the rig just cuz I don't [and can't :cry:] have one.....

9. Cortland

Cortland Guest

Oh I just love it when people correct me on that. Read the National Firearms Act and let me know how many times the word suppressor is used. I have a theory: those who have no idea what they're talking about use the word silencer, those who think they know what they're talking about use the word suppressor, and those who really do know what they're talking about use the word silencer. Just a theory, mind you. :D

I, too, have read that silencers can improve accuracy, but I believe that's most evident on rifles. I don't think they make much difference on pistols.

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I agree - I always tried to use the term suppressor until I actually went to buy one - virtually every paper you sign refers to the can as a silencer. Of course babj already knows this :wink:... I've actually taken lately to just calling it a silencer. Regarding velocity, suppressors usually cause an increase (at least ones that do not use wipes). Even supersonic full-power loads through a can are bearable outside without hearing protection. The stock sure would aid in making shots out to 75-100 yards, I'm sure. I thought IGB made a stock that had a red dot mount on the back? You could always order IGB's picatinny top-rail adapter and throw a red dot on top of the slide - that would transform the rig into a whole different beast.
    Suppressors enjoy a reputation for improving accuracy because they virtually eliminate all muzzle flip and probably 95% of the recoil. I'll bet that combo'd with the stock barely moves...

Very cool, Cortland! What can did you opt for? It really looks like an Evo-9...

11. matt13

matt13 Premium Member

Will that stock fit the A1 models?

12. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silencer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppressor

13. smores

smores Guest

Silncer: The noise suppressor (hyperlink to Suppressor page linked above ;) ) that goes on the end of a gun barrel.

SUCH CONFUSION!?!?! :p

14. Cortland

Cortland Guest

You're not actually pointing to Wikipedia as an authority on silencers are you?

The ATF calls them silencers, renowned silencer expert Al Paulson titled his books "Silencer History & Performance", and many prominent manufacturers such as AAC call them silencers. If you want to call them suppressors, by all means, go for it. Just don't get all uppity when someone else says silencer. Some folks want to turn this into a clip vs. magazine issue, but it's not the same.

I'd have to see a picture of an A1 looking down into the magazine well, but from what I've been told I think the answer is no.

15. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

The Silencers was a Matt Helm movie. Geesh, everyone knows that.

Great rig BTW. Bring them zombies on!

Buzz

16. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Now that does make sense, Buzz. :) God how I was missin' Dean Martin's ol' spy spoofs until I ended up buyin' 'em on Ebay. I also got the ol' Flints, too. :)

Sorry for the diversion, guys. <shrug> Try an' hava good weekend. :roll:

Wulf <-- Thinx the kewl dudes call 'em silencers <shrug> :wink:

17. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Tres kewl raygun setup with the silencer/suppressor.
    Congrats.

18. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

...I haven't heard the term "clip" used in relation to guns in a long time.

Ok, but is a "can" the same thing as a "silencer"?

19. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

No.

20. Cortland

Cortland Guest

Go to any gun show or stand around any gun shop long enough and you'll hear it. My point is that most of the time "clip" is flat-out incorrect terminology, whereas silencer vs. suppressor is a ta-may-toe/ta-mah-toe kind of thing. "Can" does mean silencer (or suppressor, if you prefer).