Steyr SPP opinions and information .

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by ap3572001, Sep 28, 2017.

1. ap3572001

ap3572001 New Member

Would like to know about those guns. Any help will be appreciated.

How many were imported ?
    Were they only imported in 1992-1993?
    Are they reliable with JHP ammunition?
    Is B&T TP9 basically a Steyr SPP with some cosmetic changes ?
    Are small parts still available ?
    What do they sell for used , in very good condition ?

Thank You
  2. SurfGent

SurfGent Active Member

Id like to know as well. There's one for sale where i live. Not really into tactical type firearms that much, but it's a Steyr, and it is cool looking. But its got a 1000$ price tag. That would buy me a good portion of my ssg04

3. spaz12

spaz12 New Member

I'm fairly certain they weren't actually shipped in 1992 and only came into the country in 1993.

I've had no trouble with hollow points but I use Critical Defense with the little plastic fill Hornady makes.

The B&T TP9 is made from the same tooling as they purchased everything Steyr had left of the TMP/SPP. The only real changes are with the inclusion of the rail, a mounting point on the frame for the folding stock, and an improved trigger. The original SPP trigger has quite a bit more creep.

I own both the SPP and a DSA imported TP9 and the parts interchange. RTGParts carries some TP9 parts but if you contact them they can likely put in an order with B&T USA (more reliable to work with a reseller than dealing with the under-staffed importer). I've swapped the trigger/spring and top cover (adding the rail of the TP9) on my SPP.

I do not suggest it unless you are really into the look and class of the weapon. I LOVE the TP9/SPP series but it seems like most are underwhelmed by them so I wouldn't suggest it unless you really covet one. Hopefully you get a chance to use one before hand. Also, I suggest the TP9 over the SPP if you can spend the money. The option to register it as an SBR and add a stock is a big win.