Steyr sites and POI?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by brain3278, Nov 1, 2007.

1. brain3278

brain3278 Guest

Ever since I bought my Steyr M9-A1 I have been trying to figure out how to aim my sights to hit where I want to hit. I've changed my grips, learned better technique, and practiced my trigger pulls.

At first I was aiming with the top of the triangular front site. I was always hitting low by about 4 inches or more.

Then I began placing the triangle directly over the bullseye (as though I drilled a hole through the middle of the front triangular site and could see the bullseye centered through it.). Using this technique I am hitting the target dead center every time.

I don't believe I'm flinching. I've even shot from a rest and am careful to squeeze and not move my sites.

What is the problem? Is there a problem?

2. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

doesn't sound like a problem ':)'
    if ya find a technique that allows you to consistently hit a target, yer doing good.

3. brain3278

brain3278 Guest

Are might sights supposed to aim like this? I don't mind, I'm really just curious.

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

You've already figured it out perfectly.

I stole MidTnShooter's avatar as a blowup of the trap sights logo at the left above everybody's avatar.

[​IMG]

There's your sight picture: yellow triangle tip of front sight right where you want to hit, red trap sides of rear sight centered on yellow triangle. :mrgreen:

5. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i've had great success when placing my intended POI directly on the tip of the triangle. no need to cover the intended POI with the triangle.

have other people shot the pistol with similar low results?

6. brain3278

brain3278 Guest

Yes. About 4 other people who have shot it get the same results. Shots are 4 to 6 inches low when putting the top of the triangle in the center of the bullseye.

7. Dobry

Dobry Guest

Yes, this happened to me as well, and had to adjust my sighting accordingly.

8. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Different methods work for different people. The way something was designed to work doesn't always work right for everyone...

If I were in your shoes and drilling the X out with this method, I'd just consider myself lucky for figuring out what works best for me. Personally, I ditched the traps because they just didn't jive right with me... I'm 99% sure the tip of the triangle on the X is the "correct" method, technically, but who cares? :)

9. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Here is a chart that demonstrates...

[​IMG]

10. nixon

nixon Member

in the case of Steyr M series, it's POI like waht Big Taco said. So if some people shoot 4-6 inches low of POI, that tells me the bullet exited the barrel pointing to that area 4-6 inches low of POI. Simply put, the sight picture was disturbed. Not critzising anyone, it'sdifficult to notice movement of the sight picture at the time of firing if one is not aware or conscious of the unintended consequence of a disturbed sight picture. Just my opinion only.

Nixon,

11. chp5

chp5 Guest

I had a similar experience with a rental gun I shot yesterday. To hit POA, I had to hold the tip of the front sight higher than the top edge of the rear sight. In other words, something like this: ---A--- (that’s the best I could do on the keyboard).

I have many Glocks and have found that some hit POA while holding at 6 o'clock and some require a higher hold on the target. I guess manfacturing variances cause this . . . but that's just a guess. That could also be the case with the Steyrs.

BTW - I liked the pistol and plan on buying one soon.

12. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

When I first got my M9A1 my POI was low to my POA. My problem turned out to be trigger control. I had been used to my MP40c which has a totally different design to the trigger safety. It requires a fairly low finger placement on the trigger. When I worked some dry fire exercises with the M9A1 I found that if I used the lower finger placement, the trigger safety would bind slightly and I would pull the muzzel down before the trigger broke. After adjusting my trigger finger, my POI is dead on my POA with the target sitting on top of my front site pyramid.
    I have since spent countless rounds (successfully) develping a trigger technique that works equally well for both pistols.

13. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

great info, thanks luv....I was experienceing the low trigger problem I will adjust and see what happens

syn...is the light gray in your diagram the point of impact?

14. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I'll let syntax speak for himself, but in my experience, yes, the point of impact is the gray dot on top of the point of the triangle of the front sight, when properly aligned with the trapezoid shape of the rear sight, example "G".

My M357-A1 has always hit exactly where I've aimed it with that sight picture and ditto with my M40-A1.

Perhaps I didn't have any bad trigger placement habits to relearn since the vast majority of my pistol experience prior to Steyr's DAO trigger has been with either SA-only 1911s or DA/SA pistols. I didn't believe a DAO trigger could be as good as Steyr's and had previously made a habit of passing by any pistol I saw on sale that was DAO.

15. nixon

nixon Member

netfoj,
    I like your avatar. Poor kid he got tommied by the king of Sparta (forgot his name). bottom line is trigger control. I'm not sure about manufacturing variances with regards to height of the sights (front or rear) if the variance is large enough to cause one to shoot low or high for that matter. That theory may warrant some investigation (maybe measuring with a caliperfor comparison) to find out. Of course with some pistols, the bullet weight/velocity etc. has a direct bearing with the point of impact in relation to the point of aim. With my M40A1 and M9 top end conversion, It both shoots point of aim = point of impact.

Nixon,

16. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

I am just happy to hit the paper :? But for me the problem is the rear site
    I am not used to it at all I have a prob with getting it LEVEL with the front.
    also side to side is a little prob but not bad. I only have about 450 rounds in
    almost a year so PRACTICE is the biggest problem for me. and now that I just
    bought a huge new F350 Turbo diesel and diesel a $3.59 a gallon and going up
    every day it looks like the practice is STILL going to be the problem... :x