Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any Scout owners on the forum who have had their's for a while?

I am taking delivery of mine Weds. Manufacture date is Sep '09. I am so excited I am bouncing off the walls. Cannot wait!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've had one since 2003, I think. Actually, the one I have now is my second - I used the first one a lot on ranges and nearly wore it out!! (Lots of high-volume fire getting it very hot, with 10rd mag coversions).

I use an SSG'04 for that duty now and the Scout is kept for stalking and occasional range trips. I like mine, and it has been pretty reliable, other than a light-strike issue, which I had to sort initially.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 2 - a .376 Cooper Scout and a 7mm-08 Black Scout. I purchased them when they were originally introduced in the early 2000's. I have to say they are the most ergonomic and practical rifles I have ever owned. Enjoy yours.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just took possession of a Early (98) Jeff Cooper Steyr Scout in .308... Serial number XXXXX257.
This thing is 99+%.
There is some blue wear where the bolt contacts the receiver, before you lock it down.
There is a very tiny mark on the front edge of the scope. Some cold blue on it and you won't be able to see it was there.

I love the feel of this rifle...
The trigger was tuned by the previous owner and breaks between 1 and 2 pounds. The action slides like Ice on Glass with no vibration from unclean edges or grit. I've heard some had problems cycling the action from tension requiring a lot of force... Apparently not with this little beast.
Some complain about the butter knife bolt handle, I really like it... Though I have larger hands.

All in all, from this experience, I'm a diehard scout fan.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had my Scout for 11 or 12 years now and damn glad I got it. I have taken it through the German Alps everything else in every kind of condition you can imagine. It still shoots 1.5in grouping at 300 meters. I have harvested well over a hundred animals with it of all sizes on the European continent. I have a SSG 69 as well but all my hunting is with the .308 scout. The scout is the best most practical hunting rifle for mid-range <500yds hunting there is. I have even impressed other hunters that own 20+ rifles with my scout for both accuracy and ergonomics. It is however a bit expensive. I think its worth every penny

1 - 7 of 7 Posts