Steyr S9 and S40 - any recalls or problems I should be aware of?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Ignacio49, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Ignacio49

Ignacio49 New Member

Hello. I just joined this forum today, and this is my first post.

I am buying a couple of Steyr pistols. A 9mm S9 and a .40SW S40. They are both new in box, never used.

Is there any problem with any of these models that I should look at/take care of? Any recalls?

The S9 10 round magazine capacity called my attention. I was expecting 12 rounds, and it surprises me that the S9 has the same mag capacity of the Glock 26, given the fact that the S9 grip is longer than the 26's. I have a G26, and besides grip shape considerations, I am not totally convinced of replacing one gun with another which is a bit bigger but same capacity. Any comments?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Welcome to the SteyrClub!

Are these truly the S9 and S40 or the S9A1 and S40A1? Other than cleaning them well - I use mineral spirits, just drop the field stripped weapon pieces into the solution for 15-20 min followed by lubing sparingly- there are no immediate things to do. After shooting them, then you can decide if you have a problem with the extractor. Guns which weren't part of the CDNN batch of discounted weapons appear not to have extraction problems, some of them from the CDNN batch don't either, then there are the others...

The good news is that SteyrArms in the US has a fantastic support staff and problems are dealt with swiftly and correctly. You will learn to love the weapons. I know I do.

3. Ignacio49

Ignacio49 New Member

Thanks for the welcome ETH77!

Yes, these are truly S9 and S40. They were stored for +/- 10 years and now they are for sale. New in box, perfect condition.

Still wondering why S9 has only 10 rounds....

4. bravio

bravio New Member

I bought a M9 A1 several months ago. It has a 15 round mag. I think of the 5 glocks, 2 springfileds, 5 S&Ws, 2 CZs, 1 Taurus that it is the best gun I have. It is exceptional to sight and shoots where I sight it. There was a recall; possibly too soft or brittle firing pen. I sent it when they sent a pickup...3 days later I had it back with a free additional magazine. WOW! What service!
    Now I am looking for a M40 A1 and I cannot find one. Several places list it, but they are out of stock.
    I am not familiar with the S series, but if they are as good as the M series, you have a winner. Good shooting!