Steyr Price Olympics

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by broas, Sep 8, 2007.

1. broas

broas Guest

hey, i have an idea. it's pretty raw and could use a lot of refinement. or can be trashed.

just for fun, maybe we can make a small contest about whose country's gun runners or gun regulating body makes the most money. im sure a lot of the people here would like to move to or away from the country/location that wins, depending on the person.

i bet this would be difficult to work out. we will need some guidelines, ie. domestic sales only (military contracts, exports, and underground sales are not included); limited to same model Steyrs only (open to other makes and models and calibers, if you can be bothered.)

currently as i have no knowledge of the margins and volumes applied on these guns, (this study would be so much better if these were available.) let's just put the most premium on cost.

M9A1 category
    1.) New Zealand = US$1338
    2.) Uruguay = US$930
    3.) Philippines = US$818
    4.) US = US$350

as you can see, New Zealand is leading the Steyr Price Olympics.

butch_d, you have a pm. :)

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Sounds like a good idea to me 8).

3. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Since America's BATF is known to lurk in gunsites, I doubt anyone sane has a big enough swinging pair to list illegal gun running. :wink:

However, if by underground sales you mean private sale, in America we call that Face To Face (FTF).
    It is perfectly legal in most states.
    How the political battle shakes out over the next few years will determine if it stays that way.

4. Polymer Proselyte

Polymer Proselyte New Member

5. Tweakmeister

Tweakmeister Guest

That's quite a price gap.

Many countries place heavy duties on the importation of foreign-made items, and I'm willing to bet that applies even moreso to firearms!

There are also conversion rates to consider as well.

6. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

The price on Steyrs in the US is artificially low due to the whole debunked Steyr-.50-sniper-rifles-to-Iran story. Steyr's US distributor panicked and dumped their entire inventory at below cost. CDNN bought them all up and have been selling them at the crazy low prices we see now.

I bought my M40A1 just before or immediately after this happened and paid $512 including tax.

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

:roll:

Well that certainly was creative. Mind sharing with the class your source on the "great Steyr panic"? You don't think that maybe it had something to do with the change of ownership/restructuring of the company? I think there were quite a few factors at work you are not privy to and somehow you always end up talking about the bunk Iran story, posterboy... I'll ask again - when are we going to finally let that go and stop perpetuating this garbage?

And BTW - @ $512, you just plain got ripped off. Anything over $450 OTD before CDNN was high (except maybe in California or other non-free states.

8. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey All!

SAI dumped their stock for tax purposes! End of story.

Oh yeah, I paid exactly $512 before tax & fees for my M357-A1! I think it came to $587 or something like that OTD.
    Welcome to California! :roll:
    _______
    mugdava

9. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

BINGO!

10. Polymer Proselyte

Bet thats the first time you guys have praised the IRS!

You lucky people :D

11. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Syn, I don't understand why you get so pissed off about the whole Iran sniper rifle thing. I said it was bunk, I have always said it was bunk. I didn't believe it when I first heard it, when people thought it was or might be true, because I could not image a company like Steyr risking so much over selling a few rifles to a black listed country. That said, I can believe that a US distributor, who had a ton invested in Steyrs could have panicked when the story hit the news, even if they knew it was false, because it didn't matter if it was really true, it was a matter of whether the buying public would believe it. This is what my friend, who is a dealer, and whom I help out and trust, told me. I know the mark up on the M40-A1 he sold me. I didn't get ripped off.

Could there have been other factors involved in the company's decision to dump their inventory, I wouldn't be surprised. You are right, I don't know the whole story. Maybe the Iran story was the final straw, or an excuse, maybe I am completely wrong and it had nothing to do with it.. My friend deals with distributors, of which there are less then two dozen major ones. He also deals directly with a number of companies. Maybe what he was told is a rumor, I don't know.

I will cool it. Obviously you care a lot more about it than I do. I am not invested in the story, its just what I heard from someone in the business.

12. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

What?!?! HUH? Damn! :oops:

:lol:

13. Polymer Proselyte

This would be to avoid tax right? Keeps the IRS and the Steyr nuts happy? (I may have my govenment depts. mixed up, its called IRD here)

14. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

You got it right the first time :lol:.

It just irks me because you seem to be the only "repeat offender" on the board. We've been over this up and down - we've gotten word straight from the horse's mouth about why their dumped their inventory - never mind this "my buddy at the gunshop said..." crap (has anyone ever heard a TRUE rumor that started with those words? :shock:). I don't care how close of a friend your pal is - I'm not sure about you guys, but I've had a lot of close friends who were flat-out wrong on occasion. What really gets me is the way I've watched 3+ pages of threads on other gun boards where boatloads of good-'ol-boy potential buyers are turned off to Steyr - probably forever - at the first mention of the Steyr-Iran media fiasco. It doesn't matter if we qualify it as bogus - as enthusiasts, we're better off NOT REMINDING THE WORLD about that bogus story every chance we get, especially in the premise of an already untrue explanation. We only lend credibility to the "what if there is some truth to it" aspect when we toss around accusations like SAI dumping their inventory as a response - especially to the non-enthusiasts who do not know better. We live in a knee-jerk society - never assume these people are going to do one iota of research before shunning Steyr forever. As a niche community struggling for some kind of recognition in the firearm market (especially the aftermarket), we just plain do not need to be shooting ourselves in the foot at every turn.

But we really should get this thread back on target - after all, I assume we've all clicked this thread to check international Steyr prices, not listen to posterboy and I cross swords... :wink:

15. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Good enough. I hadn't heard/read that SAI had dumped inventory for tax reasons and that it was confirmed. It doesn't interest me that much, which is probably why I didn't see any of the numerous posts about it.

We currently have three M-A1s in the shop.

16. Zeo

Zeo New Member

They're still cheap compare to Thailand.......

I hate my gun laws.....

Here are guns' price in Thailand...'.Don't be amazed..... (@ 35 baht/1US$, now)

G19 for civilian 68,000-75,000 Baht = 1,942$ - 2,142$ ( in 1998 it was 42,000 baht = 933$ @ 45Baht/1 $)
    for LEO / Government's officer 36,000 Baht or 1028$

M9-A1 for civilian, sugested to be 75,000-90,000 Baht = 2,142$ - 2,571$ (unfortunately, officers only at the moment)
    for LEO / Government's officer 38,000 Baht or 1,085$

etc.,

Normal firearms tax is 30%..... since demands of the guns are much more than supplies.....That's why the price raised up so high.....

Huh..... :cry: :cry:

17. Polymer Proselyte

New Zealand admits defeat, Thailand gets the Gold!

'At least Steyr Club is free!'

18. broas

broas Guest

A recap of scores for Steyr Price Olympics:

M9A1 Category:
    1.) Thailand = US$2142 - GOLD :D
    2.) New Zealand = US$1338 - SILVER :)
    3.) Uruguay = US$930 - BRONZE :|
    4.) Philippines = US$818 :(
    5.) USA = US$350 :cry:

19. Polymer Proselyte

M9A1 Category:

Germany has lodged a protest!

1.) Thailand = US$2142 - GOLD
    2.) New Zealand = US$1338 - SILVER
    3.) Germany = US$977- BRONZE
    4.) Uruguay = US$930
    5.) Philippines = US$818
    6.) USA = US$350

New Zealand is protesting about being 2nd. We'd rather be 6th!

20. Polymer Proselyte

Flash, news just to hand. There is a protest.

Turkey is a late starter that has blown the competition away!

1.) Turkey = US$3050 - GOLD
    2.) Thailand = US$2142 - SILVER
    3.) New Zealand = US$1338 - BRONZE
    4.) Germany = US$977
    5.) Uruguay = US$930
    6.) Philippines = US$818
    7.) USA = US$350

$3050 USD buys an average used car here.