Steyr or SIG

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by mike_hk2ksk, Aug 7, 2007.

1. mike_hk2ksk

mike_hk2ksk New Member

Hi,

I am a new member though spent some guest-time here, getting nice feedback on the Steyr HW.

Hoping to get useful advice from you – thanks in advance.

Looking for a full-size (large compact) 40SW gun (never had 40SW gun before). Primary intended use – target shooting. Would like to acquire 357SIG barrel a little later for same gun. I can’t afford an extensive collection – so hope to get it right with a 1st shot. I am an average size – so overall grip width matters to me. My choices are:

1. SIG 226
    2. SIG 229
    3. Future SIG 250 DCc, when/if it becomes available in 40SW/357SIG? 1.3” width. Interchangeable grips.
    4. Steyr M40/M357 A1. 1.2” width.

Can you please comment on

a. Steyr vs. SIG
    b. Availability/fit of a 357SIG barrel for a M40 gun.
    c. Overall Steyr support and availability of parts/accessories.

Appreciate the feedback.

I intend to post a similar request on a SIG-Forum site.

2. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Well the first and most obvious is price. Sig costs 2x as much.
    When I looked at sigs, their barrel axis is much higher than the steyr. I dont like rolling recoil.
    IIRC, there are drop in .357sig barrels, someone else will chime in to confirm or correct.
    I dont remember THAT well, but I think the grips were pretty similar. I have an old M40, so I think the angle on mine is higher.
    Parts and accessories are coming around for the steyr. The new M series moved to picatinny rail, so you have that. BT has guide rods. There are quite a few holster manufacturers. I know more than a few steyroids have cans on their guns.
    I cant speak for sig's accuracy, but the steyr is extremely accurate. If its just for target shooting, you might want to consider triggers. The steyr pulls at about 6 lbs, I dont know the sigs pull weight.

Oh yeah, steyr sights rock the house. Best. Sights. Ever.

3. mike_hk2ksk

mike_hk2ksk New Member

Thx RiceCakes,

Yes price, narrow grips, modern design, weight, sights - all big pluses for Steyr. I was pretty much set, but then stumbled on this on-line community and am wavering now.

What is BT please?

Thx.

4. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I don't think you can go wrong with either gun.

I have shot a Sig 226 in 9mm (with a silencer) and now I want one. If target shooting is the priority I would go with the P226 over the P229. With the Sig you have the choice between models with traditional double action w/ decock or their DAK DAO trigger system.

I have a M40-A1 and it is a great gun, especially for the price you can get them at now from CDNN. And Steyr 10rd mags can be had for under $10, while Sig mags are at least three times that.

Unfortunately, I have had to call upon Steyr support, fortunately, they were great to deal with.

Aside from mags, the only other major gun specific accessory -- besides drop-in barrels, which I have no experience with -- are holsters. There are a lot more holsters for Sigs, but there are also very good holsters available for the Steyr. I have experience with AKJ Concealco for an IWB holster and it is a great holster. I know other Steyroids like Blade-tech holsters. I plan on getting a Blade-Tech Sting Ray Belt Holster for my M-A1 in the not to distant future.

Let us know what you decide!

5. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

If value for the money is a primary consideration than get the Steyr.
    The current CDNN closeout prices of $350 won't last forever and you will likely be able to sell your Steyr for as much or more than you paid for it in the future if you decide it doesn't meet your needs. If money doesn't matter get both.':)'

Of course I recommend handling and if possible shooting any gun you are considering purchasing.

If your hands are small the Steyr will fit them better than the Sigs you mentioned.
    I think the Steyr trigger is better than the standard Sig trigger but Sig offers a lot of trigger variants and some of them are likely be superior to the Steyr - you would want to compare them for yourself.

Also, the weight balance of a mostly metal pistol like the sig 226 or 229 might feel better to you than the more polymer Steyr for target shooting.

easily replaced .40 and .357 barrels are available for the Steyrs and the Sig 226/229s.

6. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

BT is BigTaco, our resident trigger guru. If you were set on the steyr, what changed your mind after finding this?

7. mike_hk2ksk

mike_hk2ksk New Member

Got it on BT thx.

No I was pretty much set on SIG. Then discovered Steyr and read a lot of good things here. So rethinking. Will most likely end up getting both - B-day in october.

8. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Well that is easy enough to fix - take a trip down to the DFW area and you can shoot my suppressed M9A1 and we'll have you back on the straight and narrow again... :p

Honestly, this is pretty tough. I love Sig (HK quality without the crappy triggers), but I adore Steyr. I think the absolute best selling point has been brought up - you'll pay more for the Sig and the Steyr will never be this cheap again. I think that since the Steyr deal will only be around for a finite amount of time, that is the way to go...

I certainly wouldn't look down on a guy who went with Sig over Steyr, though. I'd opt for the 226 if it's just a range gun, 229 if you ever think you might carry.

That's the best policy. When I was shopping for my first handgun, I was trying to decide between Sig, HK, and Steyr. I ordered all 3 and the HK is the only one I kinda regret, but at least I know.

9. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Steyr is without a doubt the best pistol few have ever heard about. I was thinking Springfield XD, Glock or a few others when I began looking for a 357 Sig pistol last year. I saw a gun review in a magazine in October for the new MA1 Steyr and a friend who's a retired Air Force guy told me Steyr is a great company with a long tradition for military arms. So I started doing some online research on Steyr and found this site. In addition to a wealth of accurate info on Steyr Arms, it's also IMHO the best online community of gun nuts anywhere on this planet.

I certainly considered Sig, after all they invented the 357 Sig caliber, but couldn't afford a genuine Sig and still can't. But as I am now a proud owner of a M357-A1, I can't imagine that Sig could top this pistol at any price.

I've never even held or shot a genuine Sig pistol and hope one day to be able to afford one. But until then, I'll be a happy Steyr owner. And as others have already noted, you can pick up a M40-A1 for $350 from CDNN.com. That's more than $150 less than what I paid before the great liquidation sale, so go Steyr and get it before they sell out. The next shipment of Steyr pistols to the U.S. will undoubtedly put the price back up to the $500 area.

If you can afford both, by all means do so. But don't pass up the chance to get a great Steyr pistol at a great price. And I believe it is IGB that offers a drop-in 357 Sig barrel for the MA1 Steyr. :mrgreen:

10. mike_hk2ksk

mike_hk2ksk New Member

1st of - thanks all for quick replies.

I can get a M40 A1 locally for around $460. Had a talk with Keith @ CDNN today - yes his price is $349 + $9.99 shipping. I just need to find a local FTL dealer. How much do they charge typically? Extra mags are also reasobaly priced. I have read about SAI here - I am gonna e-mail them and ask if they have factory 357SIG barrels available. If they do - that would be great.

BTW thanks for posting all these Steyr articles on your site Netfotoj - that was very useful.

11. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I've heard of factory Steyr barrels taking anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months - definitely call. Almost any gunshop should be willing and able to do the transfer for you - FFL is the term. Around here, the typical charge is $20 w/ CHL, $25 w/o. The price typically varies from $5 to $30 - I wouldn't pay more than $20 personally.

12. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

Hi Mike,

typical cost in eastern PA is $15-25.
    here's some info on a trustworthy guy in elizabethtown, pa I have transferred with in the past,

http://www.nathansfirearms.com/contact.htm

his website currently advertises $15 + state fees for transfers

13. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Thanks for taking the time to look at my site. I'm afraid it's like the cobbler's children, it goes shoeless to often. I'm embarrassed to note that I haven't put a new gun article on my site since April 29! I'm way overdue! :mrgreen:

14. Guest

Guest Guest

I started out with a Sig P220. Great gun. Sigs are super great right out of the box, and if I carried a duty pistol every day, I'd carry a Sig.

I sold the Sig for a Para Ordnance 1911. That was a great gun too.

Now I have XDs and the Steyr.

What matters is what feels best to you and what you shoot the best. They are all great guns, but if you don't enjoy shooting it or it doesn't feel right to you, you're not going to shoot it enough to become proficient with it.

Go feel, rent, shoot.

15. mike_hk2ksk

mike_hk2ksk New Member

thx for all your help. Located a local dealer - he 's charging $20..

16. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

That's the ticket! Get the Steyr now, while the price is oh so right. Then get a P226R in 40s&w and buy the 357sig drop in barrel! 8)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    _______
    mugdava

17. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I would choose the Steyr, even if they were the same price. Lower bore axis and better trigger.

18. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

hehe...

...What is a SIG??????

Isn't that one of those nasty things people put in their mouth????

:wink: :D

19. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

hate to see someone put of those in there mouth and light it up :roll:

can just see it now Sig releases record sales with launch of new retail store chain Alcohol Tobacco Firearms.
    can just see the interview with customers. well I came in I asked for some cigs and next thing I know I am filling out a 4473.

steyr vs sig. get both but get the steyr first at $350 its a steal once they start importing again prices will be $450-$550 way the dollar slides
    it could be closer to $500-$550.

20. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

"..well I came in I asked for some cigs and next thing I know I am filling out a 4473"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sounds like a better system than we have now. Back to the 1940s.