Steyr Only Match

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by IDPASteyr, Mar 26, 2005.

1. IDPASteyr

IDPASteyr New Member

OK, We now have our own web site, thanks to the efforts of some very dedicated people. Is it time to think about our next step in the cult of the Steyr and start planninh a Steyr only match. It could be similar to the GSSF matches. What are your thoughts?

Where would it be?
    What kind of shooting would you like to see?
    Do we combine it with some sort of social event?
    Anything else you'd like to see?

This would be a very ambitious project, but let's start talking about it.

2. WorldPax

WorldPax New Member

Let's start with location. My vote of course would be something central, like OK, TX, or KS.

I defer the course to someone with more experience than I, but maybe something for experienced and then something for novices, or something that pairs up one of each.

Socially, could set up a dinner/banquet, or just all meet someplace. Would probably depend on turnout.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Well, I think before a physical reunion, we should start having some Internet matches. I am not too familiar with these competitions but I think it entails shooting at your local range and mailing in your target for comparison?? Someone that is better informed might be able to correct, clarify and/ or elaborate on these types of matches.

4. WorldPax

WorldPax New Member

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks! ... btw, I love your signature! Collateral was a great gun movie and that scene, in particular, was awesome! Tactically perfect, if you ask me. Starts off by point-shooting from the hip and takes out the other guy Mozambique-style!

6. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

Very ineresting. We night be able to program something for the site where people could sign up for a match and submit their results.

-D

7. CGuns

CGuns New Member

Anyone have a site describing how this has been modeled in the past?

Rather than re-invent the wheel, we need to start there and improve upon it. After all, we are Steyr people and aren't afraid to stare boldy in the face of convention and do things unconventionally, right? :p
    So, let's make it fun, different, unique, clever, crafty wicked and ingenious.

Waiting for a good post or link that talks about this in order to move ahead.

Please afix thinking caps and start propellers...(Or Turbines).

CGuns

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Even better! I usually love entering these matches to build others' "shooting self-esteem"! :lol:

9. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

25' gun poker.
    7 rounds. best hand of five wins
    we'll of course atke each others words on the distance.
    shoot 3 targets and send in your best.

I've seen targets w/ all the playing cards posted.

I see major logistical problems w/ a physical get together, but if one is to be had, I would suggest FL, as a major tourist area anyway. Flights, lodging, driving and other attractions might make a trip more wothwhile. It also seems a disproportionate number of us are in FL already (one of the loosest gun states besides texas).

10. Deluxe247

And the weather is always great as well as the whole beach thing. :D

11. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

just don't plan anything for during hurricane season :lol:

12. WorldPax

WorldPax New Member

Okay, for the online shoot. There are literally hundreds of free downloadable targets online. I suggest we pick a common target, I think one with multiple targets on one page. Then shoot different distances on one page.

Honor system applies of course.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

The guys over on Xdtalk organized a group shoot and match. They are having it in IL, but that is mostly because the guy that is sponsoring the whole thing live near there. I think it would be a ton of fun. If we ever decide to do something nationaly my vote would be for doing it either in Vegas, Kansas City, or Orlando. All three of those cities usually have very cheap flights. I think the best would be KC, but that is just my opinion.

I think it would be fun to try the online match thing.

14. WorldPax

WorldPax New Member

Vegas works for me.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Think I am the only guy ever to go to vegas and not spend one cent gambling! I guess I just can't spare any ammo money. :oops: :lol:

16. IDPASteyr

IDPASteyr New Member

The advantage to having it in the Houston area is we already have a range, props, and a pretty good pool of safety officers. If someone is willing to take the lead in coordinating this event, I volunteer to set up the match and act as match director.

17. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

No doubt! KONY
    If only reloading wasn't so time consuming and a pain in the wallet to get started on.

Alas even if I'm no longer in school or work 16 hours a day I'm now working 65+ hours a week and so time is the only thing as scarce to me as money!

18. Deluxe247

So, do we want to do the online shoot? Who wants to run this bad boy? I think the easiest way to do it is to have one point of contact. Then we need to:

1. Decide what target we are going to use
    2. Set the rules and points system
    3. Set dates for the competition
    - Registration (via email) due date - I can set up an email account to send registrations to
    - First and Last day of the event
    - "Final results must be received by" date

Participants would need to:

1. Email your registration to the coordinator by the due date
    2. Send in their final targets to the coordinator by the due date
    - Photo, scan or snail-mail the actual target

-D

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Here's a link to the NRA site info on their Postal Matches:
    http://www.nrahq.org/compete/dept-postal.asp

Maybe we could require targets be verified (signed) by an NRA-qualified instructor...to give a degree of uniformity. Just a thought...

Jim

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Depending upon cost, I say we set-up the match with NRA. Plus, if they put it up on their site, its like free advertising thrown in! 8)