Steyr noob here with a few questions

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by spartan117, Oct 18, 2007.

1. spartan117

spartan117 Guest

Just wanted to say hello and say first this site is an excellent resource. I am a DFW, TX member. I will admit I do not know a whole lot about Steyr pistols. I always liked the look and design of it. One time I read on some forum about a CHL holder talking about an incident and having to pull his Steyr pistol. I just remember people said he needed a better gun and Styer was crap but no one had basis for the reasoning. Yet I have talked to several people who I trust that just LOVE their Steyr pistols and they own many guns like Glock, Sig, etc. too.

Regardless I make up my own mind and am going to get a M9-A1 from a member on here along with some extra holsters so I am looking foward to it. I am set to pick it up tomorrow afternoon! Only had 200 rounds thru it I am told.

I have tried searching for some specific info so if I overlooked something on this site I apologize.

1. Where can I get replacement recoil springs?

2. Now what type of warranty does Steyr have? Considering I will be owner #2 it may not apply to me if there is one I guess.

3. Where is a good place to get extra mags?

4. Looking at the guide rod made BigTaco is it?

5. Any advice I need to know?

Thank you!

2. dabdaworm

dabdaworm Member

1. ??
    2. From what I understand, Steyr's new US Distributer is being VERY helpful, even if you aren't the original owner. I think I've heard of guys getting an M40 from a pawn shop and Steyr fixing broken things on it for free. Someone with actual experience with them should be able to shed more light.
    3. The best prices I've heard of for hi-cap (12 or 14/15 depending) are between $25 and $30. CDNN has them for $30 (in stock i believe).
    4. ??
    5. ??

Hope that helps somewhat.

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Welcome aboard, you won't regret becoming a Steyr owner. You're gonna love it.

1. Where can I get replacement recoil springs?
    Steyr Arms does all the service work and has all the parts needed, but some replacement parts require you to send the pistol in. Don't know about recoil springs. Never seen any posts here of anybody who had to replace them, and that includes those with many thousands of rounds downrange.

2. Now what type of warranty does Steyr have? Considering I will be owner #2 it may not apply to me if there is one I guess.
    Answer above is correct, SAI isn't picky about who owns the gun, original owner or otherwise. They service Steyrs.

3. Where is a good place to get extra mags?
    Answer above is correct, CDNN.

4. Looking at the guide rod made BigTaco is it?
    Definitely. BigTaco is a member who has made his skills available to SteyrClub members to get a custom-made stainless or black-anodized guiderod with or without captured spring. A definite upgrade for your MA1. I love mine.

5. Any advice I need to know?
    Shoot, early and often, and enjoy! Range reports mandatory! :mrgreen:

4. spartan117

spartan117 Guest

Thanks for the fast responses! I appreciate it!

Netfotoj, how do you get a spring to put on BT's guide rod? I will check about ordering a guide rod from him!

Hopefully if all goes according to plan I will have my gun next time I post!!!

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Jeez - you guys already cleaned up most of his Q's 8). The only thing I have to contribute is that we heard through the grapevine that BT was getting a shipment of recoil springs from SAI for his guide rod projects - he MAY have extras available. I highly suggest you contact him through PM - he is a really good guy who will welcome any questions you may have. His guide rod is a quality piece - I was thoroughly impressed with mine.

Stay away from UMC ammo - Steyrs tend to not like it. CCI (my favorite) or WWB are good, "cheap" flavors to break your pistol in with (if jack* hasn't already).

Welcome aboard! 8)