Steyr Newbie

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by DrewRoss, May 21, 2017.

1. DrewRoss

DrewRoss New Member

Hello chaps,

I just recently ordered a Steyr Pro Tactical 20" Heavy Barrel chambered in .308. I'll be mounting a Bushell Elite Tactical 3-12x44 FFP scope. I've attached a pic of the type of rifle in case you guys have different marketing names as I've seen it called other names on the net.

This is my first Steyr having previously shot Tikkas, Remingtons and Winchesters. I bought the Steyr as I wanted a rifle that I could rely on for pretty much anything and doing anything well. I know the Scout and Elite are advertised for this but I think they may be too much coin for me (at this stage at least).

Anyway's just a few quick questions:

1) Does anyone know the twist rate for the abovementioned rifle?
    2) Any recommendations for potential upgrades/mods that would increase a) reliability and b) accuracy
    3) Any other tips or things to look out for on this gun

I appreciate any time taken to respond to my newbie questions. Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  2. DucatistiSteyrHBC

DucatistiSteyrHBC New Member

Drew: I own a Steyr Heavy Barrel Carbine (HBC) .308/20" barrel, rounded/tactical bolt knob, tactical rail, w/4-16x Schmidt Bender that I believe is the predecessor rifle to yours (I purchased it "new old stock" several years ago) with same action/barrel (mine isn't a threaded barrel) ..... you own one extremely accurate rifle and the Bushnell Elite Tactical is excellent glass.

I believe the twist rate is 1:10, but you can always contact Steyr to confirm. I suggest you start out with the "benchmark" Federal 168 grain Match load (under $20.00 a box through PSA) and work from there.

Upgrades/mods ... reliability.... buy a couple extra magazines, and start shooting; spend your money on finding the right ammunition load that your rifle likes. This rifle is NOT your typical Remmy 700 immediately in need of a new trigger, upgrade of flimsy extractor, etc., etc. to make it work right (take my word, been there, done that). The SBS action is inherently reliable and overbuilt. You can add the extended 10-round magazine kit (typically available from Steyr), if you're really $ flush perhaps a McMillan adjustable stock, and maybe a bipod (if you're into that sort of thing). The combination of excellent trigger and barrel make these rifles inherently accurate. You made a smart choice.