Steyr n00b

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by tlrpunk, Sep 26, 2007.

1. tlrpunk

tlrpunk New Member

I finally buckled down and ordered an M40-A1 from CDNN. I've been browsing the forum for awhile and debating on whether or not this is the gun for me. Nothing comes close to the uniqueness and quality of these firearms from what I've seen, and I can't wait until mine arrives. $339 is unbeatable (me and 2 others bought ours at the same time to save on shipping and lower the price).

CDNN is top notch for ease of ordering! Thanks Jerry and Seth!

Thanks for helping me decide!

Nate

2. nixon

nixon Member

tlrpunk,
    You wont regret it. The quality and design of Steyr is unbeatable not to mention the price that's unbelievable. Enjoy your new found toy with your 2 friends. I hope the Steyr will make your friendship last a long time.
    Shoot straight ! and have fun.

Nix,

3. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *punk :)

Good handle, Bro! :p Welcome ta the Club. :) Be safe and have fun...and don't be afraid ta post. :)

Wulf

4. Dobry

Dobry Guest

Yep, welcome! And I'm a n00b too, so no worries! :D

I got my M9-A1 a couple of months ago, and I absolutely love it! Fits me perfectly, and so much fun on the range.

Be sure and follow the advice of the veterans on the forum... field-strip and give it a good, thorough cleaning when it comes in... and break-it in feeding it good-quality ammo for the first few hundred rounds.

Also, the members here are first-rate and can help advise you if you have any problems.

5. tlrpunk

tlrpunk New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. Disassembly and thorough cleaning is always a pre-range ritual for me. I like to know my guns down to the last roll-pin. I'm kinda weird like that. I'll probably never be able to break her in because I always keep everything spotless and lubed.

BTW, does anyone know if Gun Scrubber or Powder Blaster will melt the plastic frame or other plastic parts on this gun? I melted the grips right off of my wife's Beretta before I realized what was happening, DOH!

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I've been using BreakFree Powderblaster for about a year now with no troubles.

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Welcome.
    I have used Gun Scrubber for a few years without trouble, although I am fairly careful with it.

8. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya SD :)

You're usin' the GS for "synthetics" aren't ya, Bro? :shock: Reason I ask is cause I wanna make this perfectly clear. I got 'em mixed up once and regular GS ate the fuckin' sight blade off the back sight of my Walther P22! :shock: Looked kinda like it was melted and glazed. :shock: Bein' care is one thing, usin' the wrong shit onna composite pistol has some major drawbacks, IME. :shock:

Wulf <-- still feelin' the horror :shock:

9. tlrpunk

tlrpunk New Member

WOOHOO!!!! Just picked up my M40-A1 yesterday and shot it today. What a hoot! This gun is even better than I was expecting. I only put about 100 rounds through it and had absolutely no issues whatsoever. I cleaned it pretty thoroughly last night (I even removed the firing pin components thanks to this helpful forum) and made sure it was well lubed.

No trigger reset issues thankfully, and no FTEs even with some purposefully limp-wristed shooting. I think it's a keeper. Very accurate as well, soda cans at 20 yards were easy pickin's.

Quick question, though: It looks as if there is a slot at the back of the mag-well for something, any ideas as to what? Is this what the "grip plug" is for? What was it designed for? I really looks as if something should go there.

10. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

...for these....

....they make 'em for Steyrs also...

:wink: :wink:

11. opto_isolator

opto_isolator New Member

what's the point of one of these?? I mean, its a pistol, not a rifle. Please elaborate? (besides the fact that it looks cool!)

12. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Yup me too :?: :mrgreen:

13. tlrpunk

tlrpunk New Member

Ahhh, thanks. I thought that's what they made Steyr TMP's and HK MP5 PDW's for. It's funny, I was describing the slot to my dad and the "stock" is the 1st thing that he mentioned.

14. madecov

madecov Active Member

In other countries a stock could make sense on a select fire handgun similar to the Glock 18

15. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Oh I never gave that a thought :oops:

16. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

If you want to be legal and not have to get a special PITA high-dollar BATF permit, you need a 16" barrel and a buttstock used together, as in this combo from IGB:

[​IMG]

If you buy just the stock, you gotta get a Short Barrel Rifle (SBR) permit from the feds first.