Steyr meets Tactical Response

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by Shooter, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Just returned from six days of training in Tenn at TACTICAL RESPONSE. i took my steyr as my main pistol and a Glock 17 as the back-up. Dut to my prior training with a graduate teacher from the school, I was able to get into the advanced pistol class. After arriving I wished I had taken the pistol 1 class first. Everyone, no matter what your experience is supposed to take the pistol 1 class before the advanced class. This includes special forces as well as SWAT and law enforcement. We had a SF in the P-1 and advanced class and he could shoot !!!! But his tactical knowledge was not up the standards of the training which I thought was interesting.

The weekend was an Alumni weekend where we were given free training and the opportunity to shoot a Barrett 50cal........WOW!!!!! If you havent shot one of these don't pass on the opportunity. We shot at a mere 500yards which was a piece of cake for the 50. Recoil was moderate, like shooting a 308.

Monday and Tuesday was Basic Fighting Rifle class (AR's and AK's) and that is where I learned the most since I haven't done much with the AR I've had in my safe for ten years. I learned to set it up correctly and operate it for my left handedness. We ran rifle/pistol transitions, correct and safe handling and movement. The second day we did team tactics and communication similar to a SWAT team would do. This re-enforced the safe movement with the rifle as well as cover/concealment, marksmenship, and communication. We had one sherriff in this class from Oklahoma. Cool dude, and already well trained. He was moving on to the Rifle 2 class that I did not feel was important for my needs. That class was mostly SWAT tactics and team drills. I used an OLYMPIC ARMS pre-ban AR with a Colt barrel and ACOG 2x triangle sights. I rebuilt this gun completely so I was very happy that it ran superbly. It is a basic, no frills set-up, less to go wrong. The ACOG was good but I would highly recommend the EOTECH sites instead. They worked the best and had very good quick acquisition of target.

Now for the Steyr end of the post. I used the Steyr M9 for this class and have to say it performed superby (can't spell). I was the only Steyr in the class dominated by Glocks, a couple of Sigs and an XD or two, also one HK45. Throughout the class which consisted of safe handling, one handed and off hand malfunction clearing drills, all types of pistols failed except the HK and the Steyr. The Sig was the worst and went down and stayed down until the SF (special forces) cleaned it up a bit. Glocks went down temporarily but were fast to recover. XD's have a reputation for going down and when it did many in the class expected it. We did some really interesting things in this class that I am sworn to secracy, but let it be said this school is not a "Dude Ranch" for soft gun guys. These guys have been contractors in Iraq and give you the training and experience that takes you out of your comfort level and into the sweaty palms zone.........The last drill for the advanced class was shooting 25, 50, and 100 yards on steel. This was interesting and a relaxing end to a two day shoot. This is the only time my Steyr jammed due to the instructors having me pull the trigger differently for the long distance portion. I hit the 100 yard plate on the second shot..... :wink: Overall the only problem I personally had was the sites. Picking up targets quickly with the small triangle was a problem for me, and I will be replacing these with something else.

On the Rifle class I used the Glock 17 with XS Big Dot sites and found them to be excellent with quick acquisition of target. Of course the Glock didn't burp a bit, and I know that my maintainence routine of all my guns kept them in the fight 99.99 % of the time.

Overall, the expereince was awesome. This is not a "shooting" school, this is a "fighting" school. What you learn here is to fight, not just stand and shoot. There are other classes offered here from medical training to contractor training, force on force, shotgun, and long range rifle. If you have the inclination to want to learn the best, most effective training that will take you out of your comfort zone and save your life, this is one of the schools that will teach you those skills. http://www.tacticalresponse.com will get you there.

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Sounds very cool - thanks for the excellent review 8). Going to have to keep this school in mind - sounds fun and the prices seem right...

3. nixon

nixon Member

Sounds like a very good experience. You mentioned about the steyr's sight ? what seems to be the draw back and what lighting condition, distance were you in when you had problem with the triangle sight ?

Thanks,
    Nix,

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

This could be my older eyes.....But those tiny little slits in the back trying to match the front was tough......it was daytime, bright or slightly cloudy...remember this is stress condition, not standing and having lots of time to aim, this is moving and shooting, quick aqcuisition was imperative...the distance was mostly 7-15 yards........As I said, the XS Big Dots were amazing, you couldn't miss that big a$$ front dot. I wish we could get something like that on the Steyr.....Optics fiber would have been better, but it seems that we have a long time to wait for those....the trigger did not seem as responsive to me as the Glock trigger. The reset seemed a bit mushy, maybe a little stronger return spring....just my 2¢.........

These guys are good, Tom Givins at Range Master in Memphis is also top knotch out here, but that is an indoor range while this was wide open fun.. :D

5. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Shooter :)

Sounds like ya hadda great time. :p Too bad ya feel obligated to not elaborate, but I can understand that your honor is involved. :shock: BTW, I gotta Hi Viz fiber optic light pipe installed in a front sight. If ya wanna give 'er a go, I can send it back w/ the bbl. :shock: PM me ASAP. <shrug>

[​IMG]

Sounds like it coulda mada difference under these daylight lighting conditions and at those workin' ranges. It worked well for me just skippin' soda cans along the ground, but in very low lighting conditions, this fiberoptic design just doesn't yield enough light, not like the tritium vials that I've seen do. <shrug> Let me know. Oh and thanx again for lettin' me try out the IGB conversion bbl. That was over and beyond, Bro. :p You Rock!!!

Welcome home. :)

Wulf

6. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I wasn't serious about the sworn to secrecy thing. Some drills would not be understood by the squimish, and we were asked not to elaborate to the uneducated LEFT...... :wink: I would answer any questions on specifics though. It was just sooo much material that it will take time to absorb and practice, practice..........I'll PM you with more info. But for anyone who wants more specifics feel free to ask.

I don't need the slide to try but thanks for the offer. I can't wait till someone comes up with sights that work on our Steyrs though, Optics or Big Dots............ I tried making the front site optic but it didn't come off well yet. I'll probably purchase a few more from Steyr and keep trying.......
    Thanks Wulf, you really ROCK too....................... :D

7. Sounds fun.

Thanks for representing the beauty and best kept secret that is Steyr.

As for the sights thats no biggie just swap them out for any traditional three dot dove tail sights that will fit a Glock. A lot of us here have PT night sights and I believe you can still get the Steyr Club deal from them and save a bit of dough. If you send them your slide they'll install them for you as well.

Did any of your fellow classmates express any interest in your Steyr?

8. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

the instructor asked to shoot it at the long distance steel. I don't think he liked the sights. I don't think he liked me for not taking his pistol one class. :? But what can ya do...... :lol: This was a really good test for Steyr and it came through with flying colors. As I said previously, ALL the guns except the HK and Steyr went down. My Steyr really does get better with more shooting. AND I didn't clean it. I shot it purposely dirty to see if I could jam it. So that was about 1000 rounds in two days of hard shooting, off hand malfunction clearing, reloading, racking slides against jeans, plastic barrels, dusty, Tenn clay all over everything....(no wonder the Sig went down.... :lol:). Moving and shooting, moving and shooting, moving and clearing, moving and reloading all one hand, off hand, and two handed........