Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel
Curious if anyone has seen a 264 magnum for sale as I'm thinking of putting it up for sale. I've heard that this cal and the 257 Weatherby Mag are unusual and not many were produced. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Oh you ment mag as in magnum. I thought you were looking for a magazine. A lot of people come on here just to try and look for a part or info or sell something steyr. I mistook your headline as such. They are not as uncommon as any other mannlicher schoenauer you'd see for sale. The trouble with these rifles are parts. A lot of times the magazine roter will crack and basically you have to try and repair it cause they don't make them anymore. Scoping them is a issue due to the design of the action as you can tell but can be done. There beautifully obsolete and harken back to a time of ultimate craftsmanship. Believe it for not this action was produced and built by a variety of makers in Germany and Austria and sold under different names at such places as Sears and Montgomery Wards, Hanel, which kinda was like a gunsmith collective brand. Sold these style of guns in the Sears catalog, and they were built and unmarked by small cottage industry gunsmiths imported through Hanel and offered for sale right along there next to the Winchester model 54 and later 70, Remington 721 ect ect. There built like a swiss watch and basically would be to expensive to produce today commercially.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Not exactly the same gun, but the same action. These were built on surplus 88 German commission rifle actions, very high quality. 24$ !

·
Registered
613 Posts
The design harkens back to the 1871 mauser the 1st mauser with the split rear bridge. If you own a Russian Mosin Negant rifle you'll see some similar features in the design, although the magazine systems for these rifles changed over the years the basic design of the action is the same. Something else is the cartridges there chambered in sometimes are a little funky, the 264 win mag is a great cartridge but not very popular today, I'll bet you'll be hard pressed to even find a shooter under 40 years old who has ever even heard of it. PPU is about your only source for commercial 6.5 mannlicher schoenauer ammo which is probably the most common caliber for these guns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure of the comparison that your trying to make between the two as they're nothing alike. This model has a 60 degree throw and scoping is not an issue as it uses a Weaver mount and clearance is not a problem. Made in the 80s to 90s era and was the predecessor to the SM 12. Thanks for the history- I found that interesting.

Attachments

·
Registered
613 Posts
Oh. The HCS. I thought you had a pic of a old one on hear. I mistook your photos for another post. Like I said from your original post. I thought you were on hear looking for a magazine, your right they are different my apologies for the long winded irrelevant answer. Traffic hear is sparce and opportunity to add content is met with zeal

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel
Not long winded or irrelevant at all SerfGent-the things you can learn from this forum is the reason I think we all enjoy it. Your pictures of the old Steyrs really do look like the old Winchesters (or vice versa). Many Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 4110 Not long winded or irrelevant at all SerfGent-the things you can learn from this forum is the reason I think we all enjoy it. Your pictures of the old Steyrs really do look like the old Winchesters (or vice versa). Many Thanks
I recently came up with a 257 Weatherby in a Steyr S with DST and it has been great for hunting this year. I have only seen two in the 264 Win Mag caliber in the past several years and only this one in 257,

The magazines generally are specific to a caliber but I think you will find some interchangeability if using a magazine for a dimensionally larger caliber. Just be careful about the ammunition you carry. I have also found that some magazines as manufactured are slightly over long and have to be filed down a blittle in order to fist and to release.

Paul in Colorado

1 - 14 of 14 Posts