Steyr MA1 in 9mm & .40 now on approved USPSA Production list

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by ThaiBoxer, Sep 16, 2009.

1. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Thanks to willing assistance from Scott O'Brien CEO of SAI, and to tenacity from John Amidon NROI of USPSA, and also to GM shooter Chuck Anderson (perhaps the prez-elect of Area 1?), and the ease in coordinating email from a lowly former Thai boxer, it pleases me to announce that all three of the MA1 series pistols are now on the official USPSA list of approved Production gun.

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/production_list.php

For IPSC, the pistol is simply listed as MA1 series, and has always been legal.

The Steyr is a fine Production class gun, works equally well in IDPA, and I find it to be perfectly competitive in USPSA L-10 as well. It also works well at steel matches. The low bore axis is the magic ingredient, IMHO, but superior ergonomics help too.

So Steyroids......get yer hind-ends to the range and join in the fun!

Go Steyr!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  2. Il Cattivo

Il Cattivo New Member

Hmmm. And BT's working on some interesting ideas for open class shooters, too. I can feel the suction now...

Thai Boxer, you compete with a .40, don't you? If so, would a 357 be any better or worse?

3. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Yes sir, in USPSA I have mostly shot L10 division with Major PF .40 ammo. I can also shoot Production or in IDPA with the .40, using "40 Lite" or Minor PF ammo.

As it relates to SD: The primary advantage of the .357 SIG over 9mm, .40 or .45 is penetration thru hard cover.

As it relates to GAMING: The .357 SIG round can NOT make Major PF in L10 or Limited, because the rules specify .40 cal or larger diameter. The magazine capacity of the .357 offers no advantage over the .40. In Production, the extra recoil relative to the 9mm may be a disadvantage. If downloaded to 9mm levels, you still have expensive brass to deal with.

At this point, using a .357 SIG b/c it is your carry gun makes perfect sense to me. As a GAME gun, .357 SIG does not fit to the rules in any useful way. But I know a few guys who use the .357 in IDPA because it is their carry gun, and I say rock on!

If you have a 357 and want to shoot IDPA, get to it, you will love it!

JMO,

4. Il Cattivo

Il Cattivo New Member

Now I'm starting to hear the wind from the suction.

Thanks TB!

5. ballisticsguy

ballisticsguy Guest

Nice post:thumbsup: Now the question is how much will they cost...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  6. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

7. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

The BT Steyr Race Guns of course!