Steyr MA1 competition modifications?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by jbudinoff, Aug 17, 2007.

1. jbudinoff

jbudinoff New Member

I've lurked here for a month or so now.....great site!

I have a 9mm MA-1 that I have been using for 3 gun, with a Blade-Tech rig. I LOVE my Styer and have to endure the ribbing of the glockisti (until they hold it). I had been using a 1911 until recently. The lack of a Steyr aftermarket is really a drag.

I have seen some of the posts on upgrades, and I wanted to toss in a few requests that I would like to get.

(1) tighter trigger...i brought my Steyr to a gunsmith to see if he could improve the trigger for competition...some of the glock competition triggers really make me jealous....and he said he couldn't "Play" with the trigger to tighten/lighten it.

(2) replace the trap sights with more traditional front fiberoptic set. Again, my local gunsmiths came up dry. I saw the thread in here about making your own triangular front sight, but I'm fine with a round one.

(3) a magazine extension to bring the mag up to 140mm, which i think would add 4-5 more rounds in 9mm.

does anyone do/make any of this stuff?

Thanks

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

1) The trigger can be smoothed out, but that's about your only option right now. BigTaco is our resident trigger guru - he can provide in depth info on what you could possibly do to modify your trigger, but he stops short of doing the work himself due to liability concerns.

2) Wulf and BigTaco are the folks to talk to on this one. I believe Wulf was the guy who threw together a front trap with a fiber optic rod through it.

3) .40 S&W Sigma magazines can be converted - Wulf is again the guy to talk to. I currently have the 17 and 18 round versions (9mm) of his "custom" mags.

These "solutions" aside, there are no commercial vendors offering these types of products for our pistols. Welcome to the club!

3. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

can get a threaded or ported barrel and comp along with a reddot scope mount

not much can be done to the trigger

4. jbudinoff

jbudinoff New Member

MrA: thanks! I'd like to stick with limited right now tho.

Syntax: how do the .40sw wulf conversions work? are they reliable? does the mag drop free?

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Both of mine drop free. My 17 rounder has been flawless, my 18 has had a few quirks here and there. Wulf reports flawless working with a little tweaking (he can even get 20 rounders if he tries), but he said it's pretty gun specific and what works for him may not work right away for you without some work.