Steyr MA1 (9mm) - Glock 17 comparisson (Picture Heavy)

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Nanotech9, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Nanotech9

Nanotech9 Guest

Hi everyone - first post - finally able to get on here after about a month or so... Posted this up on Glocktalk and our local okshooters forums... but now i get to post it here.

This is just a general comparison for those interested in owning a Steyr that already have a Glock 17 or similar frame gun (22, 34, 35, etc), or vs. versa.

I've been carrying this MA1 for about a month now and must say its fairly comfortable. My glock never had a chance with all the grip tape on it poking me in the back :(

This does not go into detail of breaking the guns down to their individual parts. I've left that for when i have more time. I believe i did count the number of parts in the trigger assembly, and the Glock was at 9 parts, and the Steyr at 16 parts. This does not include the parts in the slide.

Note: The G17 is my fun gun - i use it in matches, hence, the grip tape, sights, and home made guide rod and 13lb ISMI spring.

Not all pictures are marked. Most are obvious. If in doubt, the more worn part is the Glock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, As requested by a Glocktalk member, i'll add my comparison of the "bore axis"..............:

Sorry for the low-quality images... they're all off my camera phone.

First off, i have no idea how to measure what the "bore axis" is on a gun... so i used my imagination. My understanding of this term is the distance from the center of the bore to the top of your grip. If its something else, i've mis-understood, and completely missed the mark here. So far, everyone's opinion concurs with mine on this.

This is a very crude measurement. Please forgive me. Sometime when i have more time i'll actually Mic everything if someone wants.

First off we have the Glock 17.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the Steyr, measured the same way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You guys can read the measurements. Like i said, kinda crude, but it shows that the distances are either almost the same, or the glocks barrel is slightly (just a few thousandths) closer to the top of your grip.

My understanding is, the closer the barrel is to your grip, the less muzzle flip you get.

This should help settle any questions about the bore axis on these two guns. It seems to be a popular question.

2. Nanotech9

Nanotech9 Guest

Oh, and a big thanks to BigTaco for answering a lot of my questions via Email when i couldn't get on the forums, and for discussing many technical sides of the working of the gun with me.

3. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Surprised they are that close. I would have thought the G19 and the M9 A1 would have been closer to the same size.

4. cyzonyx

cyzonyx New Member

Great post and pics Nanotech9!