Steyr M9A1 wins Local Steel Match

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by ThaiBoxer, Feb 22, 2009.

1. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

My Steyr won the local CF match, beating the SSP and Unlimited guns. It took 3rd of 18 overall, with 2 .22 shooters ahead of me.

I also shot a .22, but don't ask about that! Peeeee-Ewww. Jam after jam.

Go Steyr!

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Way ta go, Ben! :)

We're all proud o' ya, Bro.

I won't ask ya bout the 22. <shrug>

Keep up the good showin'. :)

Wulf <-- Hazza new hero ;)

3. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Congrats.
    Seems like a rip to be scored against .22s

4. Jbabbler

Jbabbler New Member

Did you get a lot of questions afterwords? I would think that people unfamiliar with Steyr pistols would be very interested in looking at your gun.

5. SELFDEFENSE

BTW Thai, what .22 were you using?

6. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

This is my local range, they've seen and discussed the Steyrs with me before. The only comment I heard yesterday. was on one stage that involved large transition between each steel, someone complimented me on fast transitions "with such a short barrel". I've heard a few things like that before. The M series have a 4" barrel, M&P is 4.25 and a G17 is 4.49. Makes me wonder if the Steyr looks more compact to other people.

7. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I started with my Marvel Unit 1 on my Springfield frame. It didn't run well. Next stage I switched to my Ruger MkII, and it was worse. I then lubed both pistols. 3rd stage I switched back to the Marvel, and it was terrible. On the 4th stage I tried the Ruger again, which was lousy, and on the 5th stage went back to the Marvel and it jammed a few times. Ammo was either Am Eagle HV or some std vel PMC Scoremaster, with no perceptible difference in performance. I took both home, stripped and scrubbed the chambers, and will try again.

The vexing thing is that I did some trouble shooting on the Marvel a month or 2 ago, and it was running well using either of these ammos. I have a pattern of .22 pistols going to hell on match day, happens to me every time.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  8. SELFDEFENSE

I'm surprised at the Ruger jamming that often

9. mketron

mketron New Member

Very cool. Congrats Ben!!!

10. DFAtangodown

DFAtangodown Guest

congrats on the win.... off topic question ThaiBoxer is that picture in your avatar real or is it a photoshopped guide rod?

11. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

It's real. A Big Taco rod that the end was machined to make the smiley face by a master machinist I know. I painted some black nail polish over the cuts and wiped the surface clean to make a contrast for the photo, but it still looks that way after many rounds. I also have a black oxided BT rod that the same machinest did, so the cuts are "white". They have a totem pole/tiki god look, I think.

Goes with the more conventional smileys on both my 1911s:

[​IMG]

12. SELFDEFENSE

Great message to the attacker:
    "Have a nice day. BOOM" :D

13. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Awww. I'm easy going and just like happy faces, and enjoy shooting. And they make me laugh. If there was more room, it'd be cool to do some simple pirate face...