Steyr Club Forums banner
7K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  ETH77 
#1 ·
Have been hitting 3G matches when I can, and my M9A1 has been along for the ride. I'm using 17 rd Steyr mags for this. Pistol is de-emphasized in these matches; while my IPSC skills help me make up time against the average 3-gunners, it's my CQB rifle and my shotgun reloading skills that need work. I find the M9A1 very well suited to the pistol requirements at the 4-5 matches I've hit so far. It's not too big or heavy for riding along in the holster, the capacity is ample, no power factor issues and it shoots fast/accurately enough to get the job done.

Go Steyr!

#2 ·
Oh sure, tell us the infinite fun your having up there... :cheers:

I've only done 2 gun with my vz and the Steyr - really, really serious fun!

I'm thinking that the Kel-Tec bullpup shotgun should be a natural for 3 gun where you need both slugs and shot. I know that for some 3-gun an AUG would work, but sometimes you need quick reloads, then maybe not so much.

#3 ·
Then you probably don't want to hear about the night carbine match I shot with my silenced AR, right?

Man, I dunno, I've never even touched an AUG, no idea what they would be good for. Shooting from close confines, I imagine, & should be about the same on the longer courses. I do want to hit this "tactical match" in Portland that is pistol, shotgun, & pistol-caliber carbines (don't have one) or M1 Carbines (got that!)....I would love to run an M1 Carb thru a course, they are such sweet little carbines.

But to keep this on topic, the M9A1 is a slick little Tactical-class 3G pistol.

I wouldn't mind scoring a Steyr Scout in .308 & running thru some Tac-Precision match, if that were to happen, somehow.

#4 ·
My local store has a Cooper Scout with optic ready to go. They've got several Steyr Scouts, including one in .273. Just say'n

#5 ·
Would you happen to know how approx. many shekels for the Cooper?

#6 ·
List - ~$2499 with a discount for SteyrClub members paying in cash. Spectra Firearms +281-257-2245.

They also have C, S, & M models in stock in 9mm, and S, M in .40 - I know you've got what you need, but lots of folks are following your threads...

#7 ·
Dern, Steve. I can buy a few needless NFA hush-toys for the Cooper Scout money.

I may do a Ruger scout & muzzle can. Yes, I know a Ruger Scout isn't a Cooper model Steyr Scout, but neither is Ben B. actually Bill Gates

#8 ·
I'm new to these forums, but have followed your shooting progress incognito ....lol
I am wanting to get into 3-gun and have the opportunity to get a c9-A1. My question is.....would that be a decent gun? I'm just worried about the 3.6" barrel.
Thanks.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Personally, I'd go with the longer barrel. Some of the matches make you shoot at ranges up to 35 yards. With a CQB sight, it's a struggle to get on target, even if it is a 12x12" steel plate.

Ben,

As far as getting a gun for tactical 3 gun. If you're going to stroke a bolt - think about getting a K31 and a scout scope. With a 20" barrel, it will really put the bullets in a single hole if you do your part. Take a look at the Leatherman/HiLux scout scopes. Mine is a great $ value.

#11 ·
There are very few competitors shooting Steyrs, because Steyrs have such a low visibility.

I don't see how knowing whether others are shooting C9s will affect your decision. It is a compact carry gun. Service pistols and competition models make better competition guns. Have you actually shot any matches yet?

#12 ·
There are very few competitors shooting Steyrs, because Steyrs have such a low visibility.

I don't see how knowing whether others are shooting C9s will affect your decision. It is a compact carry gun. Service pistols and competition models make better competition guns. Have you actually shot any matches yet?

Thanks TB. I'm not, at all, letting that persuade my decision. I was just curious to see opinions and results.
I actually took the C9 back and swapped for a M9-A1 that they just got in.......so should be a good one to start competing with. This will be my first time ever competing, so any suggestions are welcome.

#14 ·
If you have an iPhone, get the Practice Decks from DR Performance. You can also get a shot timer. Between the two it will help immensely!

There are also posts of the USPSA stages on the www.texassouthsection.com website.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.