Steyr M9A1 clicks a little going into battery with cocked striker

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by vectorsc, Nov 20, 2012.

1. vectorsc

vectorsc New Member

My M9A1 has a little hitch before it snaps into battery if you run the slide really slow. Sometimes it doesn't snap fully into battery when run this way and you have to push it home.

Feels like it might be something in the trigger group/fire controls. Advice?

2. jhb

jhb Member

Without seeing it in person sounds like the typical super tight tolerances that don't let it go into battery on riding the slide home. My c9 does it. It requires a full sling shot style to go into battery.

When it happens will it seat itself into battery with a very hard trigger pull? Safety....don't do it loaded, only empty chamber or snapcaps and all other gun safety rules followed. If it does than it might just be the tight tolerances?

3. Frank N. Stein

Frank N. Stein New Member

My S9-A1 does this too. I'm not concerned about the problem of riding the slide because it most circumstances that won't be a problem in a self defense scenario. What I am worried about is when you merely bump the front of the slide it puts it out of battery. Once the slide is bumped you have to manually push it back into battery. That is a big no-no for concealed carry (mine goes out of battery when I put it in my Remora). I've put around 500 rounds down range so far with no sign of this letting up.

I too suspect the trigger group to be the culprit. Since we are seeing this problem with the M9, C9, and S9 you have to wonder if this design flaw is inherent on all Steyrs.

4. vectorsc

vectorsc New Member

It does go into battery on the trigger pull. I don't think it's tolerances so to speak.

The gun runs forward into battery totally smoothly with the striker removed.

5. jhb

jhb Member

didn't know that, cause i never tried it with the striker removed. interesting. thanks for the follow up.

leads me to wonder......is it a flaw in design, if it works on sling shotting the slide? on that point the only pistol i ever rode the slide forward was on 1911's. mostly cause i was told letting it fly to battery without ammo would "hurt" the gun?

anyways the slide not going into battery easily when the slide is rode in, doesn't bother me as much as Mr. Stein's complaint...the slide being knocked out of battery by a slight push? mine doesn't suffer from this issue...does yours Sir? thanks.

6. Frank N. Stein

Frank N. Stein New Member

Yeah, if you give the slide a slight push it goes out of battery. From there a trigger pull might put it back in battery but at that point the trigger pull is over 10 lbs. I really should upload a Youtube video of it.

But like you said, riding the slide and having it go out of battery isn't a big deal. I've carried a PPK and a P64 so I'm used to malfunctions occurring when riding the slide.

7. Talyn

Talyn New Member

It's in my video I think Frank.

Are you talking about a click putting a bullet into battery, or with the magazine out??

The click while racking it slowly usually is the bullet flying out of the magazine cause the newer magazines have such heavy springs.

I'll have to make a new video explaining all my new findings.

8. southernfryedyankee

southernfryedyankee New Member

I believe I found the underlying issue, which is contrary to what I had previously thought and watched a video on. I am going to post a new thread and I would like to hear opinions.

9. \JMiller

\JMiller New Member

I gave my new M9A1 the initial cleaning, lubrication, and ran into an issue, I'm not sure if it's related, but, if the striker is cocked, and if give the butt of the mag a good rap, such as in reloading before the first mag is empty, and making sure the mag is seated, the slide clicks pops out of battery. It only does this with the mag inserted, and a bump on the base plate. My M40A1 doesn't do this, also, the mag baseplates have "plus" molded into them. The trigger pull is as clean as the 40, but I'm going to see what happens at the range this weekend.

10. menzzer37

menzzer37 New Member

My new m9a1 does the same thing. If you slowly let the slide forward, it will hold back .030" or so. You can pull the trigger and force it into battery, but it's a hash pull. I think it's tolerances honestly. I only have 75 rounds through mine, so I'll monitor the issue.

11. BluteEhre

BluteEhre New Member

This issue isn;t limited to the M9's as my M40-A1 does the exact same thing. Another post on here people mention "polishing" any casting marks out of their striker to rectify the situation. I removed my striker and its as smooth as can be, I dont see where I could polish anything. So there's another hicup these guns have thats causing the same issue.

When working my action real slow, I almost wonder if the edges of the barrel beside the feeding ramp, are slowing/catching the slide just enough to cause this. I put a dab of oil on each side then cycled again slowly and noticed less of a catch.. I'm new though, so I'm not exactly drawing any conclusion from this.

I am leaning towards "break in" period as being the simplest fix, but for those who carry for defense, I know this isn't an acceptable ordeal.

I only have about 120rds through my pistol.

12. \JMiller

\JMiller New Member

Just a thought to this problem, would a stronger recoil spring help, say +1 or +2 pound? I had one other pistol that had issue locking into battery, and the solution was a +2 power spring. That pistol ran reliably with the upgraded spring.

13. Waltherfan01

Waltherfan01 New Member

My S40-A1 clicks a little when I holster the gun, but I think that's partly because the holster is tight. Because the holster is tight, when I draw the gun it is in battery and ready to fire. Of course I have remedied the click issue by resting my thumb on the rear of the slide as I holster, thus the slide is not pushed out of battery. Other than when I'm manually exercising the slide (unloaded) I never ride the slide, and since I carry all my guns with 1 in the pipe I don't press check the gun, so the little click once in a while doesn't really bother me as it has never affected my ability to shoot the gun. *Shrug*