Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my first Steyr M9-A1 and a new Glock 17. I figured a range test comparison would be a good idea. This weekend I'll be hitting the range with both pistols. I'll put 100 rounds of Winchester white box through both pistols. Will compare the following:

1. Accuracy (standing unsupported and seated using bench rest)
2. Reliability (any FTF, FTE, etc.)

The distance I will conduct the test at will be 15 yards. I will try to post some pics of my results. Now I will see for myself which of the Austrian made handguns really is the best.

Take Care and God Bless!

Ronin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
I'm looking forward to your test results! :D But, please don't hesitate to add your "subjective" observations as well: sights, handling, grip angle, trigger pull, etc. Those things matter a whole lot more to me than a 1/2" difference in grouping at 15 yards!

I'm not a Glock owner (I never cared for the ergonomics) but I admit that they're reliable beasts. If Glock ever made one that didn't handle like a two-by-four for me, I'd even think about buying one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
ronin67 said:
Just picked up my first Steyr M9-A1 and a new Glock 17. I figured a range test comparison would be a good idea. This weekend I'll be hitting the range with both pistols. I'll put 100 rounds of Winchester white box through both pistols. Will compare the following:

1. Accuracy (standing unsupported and seated using bench rest)
2. Reliability (any FTF, FTE, etc.)

The distance I will conduct the test at will be 15 yards. I will try to post some pics of my results. Now I will see for myself which of the Austrian made handguns really is the best.

Take Care and God Bless!

Ronin
I have both.They are both great guns.If your Steyr does not have a FTE problem,then I think you will like the Steyr more. It is a fine hand gun,and I have not found a gun that shoots better. I love my Glocks,but I ADORE my M9.Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
mikey said:
I'm looking forward to your test results! :D But, please don't hesitate to add your "subjective" observations as well: sights, handling, grip angle, trigger pull, etc. Those things matter a whole lot more to me than a 1/2" difference in grouping at 15 yards!

I'm not a Glock owner (I never cared for the ergonomics) but I admit that they're reliable beasts. If Glock ever made one that didn't handle like a two-by-four for me, I'd even think about buying one.
Agreed. I had heard great things about Glocks since I heard the name. Handling one is a different story. The Steyr fits so much better, IMO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Cold_Fluorescence said:
mikey said:
I'm looking forward to your test results! :D But, please don't hesitate to add your "subjective" observations as well: sights, handling, grip angle, trigger pull, etc. Those things matter a whole lot more to me than a 1/2" difference in grouping at 15 yards!

I'm not a Glock owner (I never cared for the ergonomics) but I admit that they're reliable beasts. If Glock ever made one that didn't handle like a two-by-four for me, I'd even think about buying one.
Agreed. I had heard great things about Glocks since I heard the name. Handling one is a different story. The Steyr fits so much better, IMO
I would like to take my Steyr to bed with me, but my wife won't let me. :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
338 Posts
I would like to take my Steyr to bed with me, but my wife won't let me
hmm, have ya considered something with a longer barrel...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts
be careful about jumping to conclusions concerning fte and such. the steyrs do need a breakin of around 500 rounds.

also, to maximize reliability, be sure to clean the mags. they are not tennifered. therefore they get treated to a little cosmoline or similar substance before hitting the road to the shelf it may have sat on for a few years. cleaning all the **** out will help it feed reliably.

if you get one fte at round 47, don't assume your's is a dud. shoot it about 500 times. then clean it very well. the next 100 would be where you want to start your test.

these guns wear in, not out. just be sure to give your's a chance to perform its best.

hope it goes well. let us know how everything turns out.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top