Steyr M, M-A1, S, S-A1 Firing Pin Safety

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by babj615, Sep 9, 2007.

1. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Well, I know this subject has been brought up a time or two :oops: :oops: ....

...and I myself have been unable to locate the 'elusive' Steyr firing pin safety for some time....

With most other 'Striker Fired' pistols, you can see/operate the firing pin safety while holding only the slide in your hands...

..and it has been concluded that this is not true with the Steyrs...

Today, however, I believe I understand what Steyr means when they refer to a 'Firing Pin Safety', although it remains absent from any/all exploded view diagrams & parts lists they publish.

Because Steyr 'Pre-Tensions' the striker, i.e. the striker is always held back against its own spring pressure by the 'Catch' [item #10], it should be physically impossible under normal operating conditions for the striker to spring forward and fire a chambered round UNTIL the trigger is pulled and the "Catch", through its normal movement, eventually drops and allows the striker to spring forward as 'desired'....

...Simply put, Steyr regards the 'Catch' as the firing pin safety.

Exploded View:

[​IMG]

2. Polymer Proselyte

Polymer Proselyte New Member

Where is the diagram from babj615?

It would make a good addition to the Steyr wiki if its not copyrighted.

PP

3. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I kinda pieced it all together...

8) 8)

4. Polymer Proselyte

You have a talent for graphics. You should lend it to netfoto to whack up on the wiki entry, with all due credit of course.

I didn't get a manual with my pistol so I saved a copy of it as soon as I saw it. This site is a goldmine!

Cheers PP

5. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor New Member

Thanks for posting this diagram - I had fun deciphering my date codes this morning.

I have 1 M40 with ZOO date code - built in 2000. The S40 and S9 are BOR - 2003 and M9A1 is LOF - 2004.

As far as pre-tensioned firing pin safety goes, as far as I know there were no accidental discharges from Steyrs to date, and that's good enough for me. I however DO NOT trust 72% tension thing, due to some ammo having softer / defective primers.

6. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Thanx for postin' this info, bab*! :p

Member contributions such as these is onna the big draws to The Steyrclub. I seem to recall the date code info from an earlier post, but not put quite so eloquently. And "yes", this should be added to some kinda easy ta find reference section for the Steyrclub world of interestin' stuff ta know. :shock: Thanx again. Hava great Sunday, Bro. :)

Attaboy, bab*!!! :p

Wulf

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Just for the sake of putting it out there, the 72% number is heavily disputed by "those in the know" - it may be less. The truth is, no one seems to know where the 72% figure came from... :? But babj isn't just talking about % of precock - he is talking about the firing pin being physically prevented by the catch from coming forward at all unless the trigger is pulled (at least as best I understand his post)... If that is the case, it is a "safety feature" we have regularly overlooked ever since I've been onboard - I would say this definitely warrants further research...

Good job, babj!

8. Polymer Proselyte

Wondering if Admin could add the diagram to the homepage resource list :idea:

9. madecov

madecov Active Member

Based on Date codes, mine is April,2005.

10. 73sbVert

73sbVert Member

Is mine the earliest one on here? :shock:

M40, Code: S00 = May, 2000.

:D

:cheers:
    Paul

ETA: My S40 has a date code of E0K, January, 2002. :D

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  11. jhoff8487

jhoff8487 New Member

April 05'. I just picked my M40-A1 up two days ago and I'm takin' it to the range tomorrow morning. From what I can tell, it seems to be hardly used and hasn't had many rounds put through it. I read the guide, field stripped and lubed it and hopefully I'll have a great day. I've got 100 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass and 100 rounds of WWB. It should make for a great day!

12. kevin5182

kevin5182 Guest

ok my steyr the serial number 053088 what does that mean?

13. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

.....means was made right after Steyr pistol # 053087 and just before Steyr pistol # 053089....

:twisted: :twisted:

14. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Don't ever file it off or mutilate it either or the ATF will send you away on a federally paid vacation to the gray-bar motel for a few years.

BOT: Nicely done babj615 :wink:

15. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

May 2000 seems pretty early

16. kevin5182

kevin5182 Guest

i meant for date. lol but thanks for clearing that up. :D

17. yugo308guy

yugo308guy Member

I think that is what the infamous CORNBREAD used to argue, that if part #10 became worn, then you would have an unintended discharge, not to mention a fully auto handgun, but this is true of many parts in many handguns. It is up to the owner of the weapon to do regular inspections to make sure everything is in good servicable condition. With all guns it is possible to have parts worn or broken and you could suffer the same consequences.

18. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Pray tell, who is Cornbread?

19. yugo308guy

yugo308guy Member

Do a search on that one, I'm sure you'll find EVERYTHING you want to know + a whole lot more! LOL! To the older members here, sorry I brought him up!

20. steyrile

steyrile Member

Wow, that IS an early one.
    My m9 slide is May 03 and the frame shows January 02.
    Purchased new from CDNN in October 05.
    Two year anniversary coming up! :D
    Health, Peace
    steyrile