STEYR M-A1 .40 ARTICLE

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by ZEEK, Oct 30, 2006.

1. ZEEK

ZEEK Guest

Read a pretty good write up about the M-A1 .40 in the November 2006 GUNS & WEAPONS For Law Enforcement magazine that I had purchased off the magazine rack at a local grocery store. The article starts on page 34 and was written by Dave Spaulding. First lengthy (more than 2-3 paragraphs) article I have read on the pistol in a while. Overall I was pleased with the article.

You can order back issue at http://www.guns-weapons.com

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

MA1 357

I'm considering a .357 MA1. How does it compare with comparable Glock or Springfield XD models?

3. smores

smores Guest

Many people theorize that Glocks in larger calibers (especially .40 S&W) do not have fully supported chambers, mainly because the Glock was originally developed as a 9mm handgun, and the .40 was rushed to production. The Steyr was originally designed as a .40, so it is more capable of handling those rounds (factory or reload).

Also, the Steyrs have normal land/groove rifling, as opposed to polygonal rifling which does not work well with lead ammo.

Apparently, the Steyr M9 series was developed by a gentleman who worked for Glock, who critiqued various designs of handguns. He presented his ideas for a next-generation pistol to Glock, but because it did not follow their "philosophy of design," they declined to take his design. So he sold it to Steyr and the rest is history.

I don't really know anything about the XD other than the fact that it is a U.S. version of a Croatian pistol called the HS 2000.

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Glocks are designed with the unsupported chamber in all calibers except 357 Sig.........The reliability of the necked down shell with feeding and ejection, make fully supported chambers unnecesary in Glock's opinion..........

5. ZEEK

ZEEK Guest

MY bag. where have I been? just read the post from Triumph. Sorry bout that Triumph.

6. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

Not quite, Glock 17 (the original Glock) has a fully supported chamber (I’m guessing so does G19 & G26). I thought that Glock in .357Sig had the same chamber support as one in .40 since .357sig is just a necked down .40s&w… :?

7. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Gray, i think that is incorrect. all Glocks were designed with the same chamber (excluding 357sig)........9's included.....I'm checking my own tonite to varify my research.......but I'm getting confirmation from other sources on my info.........:)

8. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

I've never owned a Glock, so I guess I could be wrong...but I'm pretty sure that unsupported chamber is the outcome of Gaston truing to stuff other calibres into Glock 17

9. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

if you can get away with unsupported chamber in any caliber its 9mm. the casings can take quite a bit.

heres a 9mm casing fired out of battery in a mac.

http://dkirkpa.home.mchsi.com/OOB.jpg

10. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

No, that's not the case, He is very smart, and methodical.....it was by design.....I own at least 4 Glocks and I can't tell you the last time I had a ftf or fte...........that's part of the reliability and one of the reasons reloaded ammunition will void your warranty.......... Weak cases can cause KB's in the unsupported section....... :)

11. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

For some reason I can’t tell if you like Glock or not. I guess you do since you have 4 :lol:

Yeah that's because Glock decided to reduce chamber support to make sure .40s&w can feed in the Glock 17 frame. Why would Glock in 9mm have an unsupported chamber? :? Sorry but that makes no sense.... When you hear about a KB with a Glock it’s G22 90% of the time.

12. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member