Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

The match is over, the results are online, and I put together a summery-video of me shooting the Steyr L9-A2 MF in an IPSC L2 match, here in Austria.

The trapezoids sights are really different to normal sights - I'm used to, basically on targets more than 7 meters away, to half the target, meaning the half of the target, together with top aligned front and rear sight, will usually land me the bullet ontop of the front sight, with focus on front sight top. On 25m shots, yes I usually hold a bit lower, but they dont come often in IPSC matches inside buildings or cellars. So with the trapezoid sights this half-ing doesnt work because the sights dont really form a line, but 3 little pointy things. So the focus is actually on the triangle itself, and how it is in the frame of the rear sight.

In a couple of weeks is another IPSC match and I will take the Steyr there as well, I think. But before I will train on smaller 6 and 8 inch targets, painted on paper, to adjust my vision and sighting.

Actually holding the gun while shooting it really feels great, and compared to the L9-A1, the grip is a lot better, the gun doesnt wander in the hands and recoil is well manageable.

The only thing I would like to see replaced by now is an extended magazine release button. Putting it on the right side was neccessary otherwise I would have been DQ'd, releasing my grip and turning the gun to reach the magazine release button with my thumb. So on the right side I can operate it with my middle finger, needs some training as well, did work, but not as smooth and quick as a properly extended mag release button.

Regards,
Philipp

·
Registered
613 Posts
I had plans for using my m9a1 for action pistol but didn't want to spend the $ on extra mags when I already have another gun set up for it. Way cool video

·
Registered
90 Posts
The trapezoid ain't for me. For years I m looking for a small fibre front sight set up and if Dawson came out with something, I d use my L9A1 for that kind of competition. I got 3 dot night sights on mine, too fat for me for the game.
An where are the extensions for the 17 rds mags?
Until then I go Tanfoglio and Sig 320X Legion for Limited USPSA.

Consider how many companies in the gun industry have an out of the box competition ready model with a fiber optic front sight on the market. Sad that Steyr doesn't bother.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last evening I took the Steyr L9-A2 MF to another IPSC match in Vienna. I did change the sights though because in low or artifical lights they just arent easy for me to pick. I also knew that at this match there were longer distance shots and so I went for common front post rear notch TFX sights. Again, the gun just felt right in my hand and all the misshappens go to my account. Unlike the old L9-A1 no brass to the forehead or stove pipes, so the newly designed ejection port seems to improve on this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last evening I took the Steyr L9-A2 MF to another IPSC match in Vienna. I did change the sights though because in low or artifical lights they just arent easy for me to pick. I also knew that at this match there were longer distance shots and so I went for common front post rear notch TFX sights. Again, the gun just felt right in my hand and all the misshappens go to my account. Unlike the old L9-A1 no brass to the forehead or stove pipes, so the newly designed ejection port seems to improve on this.

So, will any sights for the A1 fit on the A2 ?

·
Registered
6 Posts

What night sights work with the A2 model. It was odd my back trap sight walked loose first range trip. Took it as a sign to just change it out.

·
Registered
767 Posts
All sights are interchangeable between the M, A1 ,A2MF models
In your case of the sight coming loose you may check the sets screw but it should not happen in any sort in any circumstance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
All sights are interchangeable between the M, A1 ,A2MF models
In your case of the sight coming loose you may check the sets screw but it should not happen in any sort in any circumstance.
Thanks,
I was surprised that it came loose. I was shooting at 25 yards and couldn’t figure out why I was not hitting anything with it. Then I noticed the back sight all the way left. Such a great feeling pistol. Once I get the sight situation fixed it will be my ccw replacing or alternating with my CZ P10 F optic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What night sights work with the A2 model. It was odd my back trap sight walked loose first range trip. Took it as a sign to just change it out.
I use the Truglo TFX nights sights - you can see them in the 2nd video above. Installation was easy.

Meantime I got a L9-A1 slide for my L9 A2 MF with the original trap sights. Had to slightly adjust (loose the screw) the rear sight for horizontal alignment, put a drop of loctite on the screw, and put it in place, and let it rest overnight. Didnt move at all during a short shooting session later on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts