Steyr just as good or better then Glocks?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by ronin67, Dec 23, 2006.

1. ronin67

ronin67 Guest

I was just wondering if some of our Glock and Steyr pistol owners can tune in on this one. From your experiences shooting both Glock and Steyr pistols, which one performed the best with the least amount of problems (short and long term use)? Opinions from all members would be deeply appreciated.

Take Care and God Bless!

Ronin

2. charmincarmens

charmincarmens New Member

Steyr,PROBLEMS,Glock,NO PROBLEMS.But I think the Steyr is a better gun over all.Glock is proven over the years.Steyr has a way to go.RA ALL THE WAY

3. madecov

madecov Active Member

This comes up often
    Steyr M pistols are still infants. M series or MA1 series, the gun is the same internally.

Glock had plenty of teething issues back in the beginning. They still have upgrades going on all the time.

I think the Steyr has better ergonomics, better trigger, lower bore axis. In my hands the Steyr is more accurate.

Steyr will upgrade the MA1 series as they develop little fixes for the various quirks it has. About the only real issue seems to be some guns have failure to extract. Steyr is supposed to have changed the extractor and plunger spring improving reliability.

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Glock is stone reliable and has oodles of aftermarket goodies.
    Steyr has some FTE problems, has better grip ergonomics, best combat/quick acquisition stock sights I have seen, lower bore axis, way better trigger, faster trigger reset, only practical external safety I have ever seen on a gun, loaded chamber indicator, less recoil, more accurate, and M series looks way better (A1 series a little better) than Glocks.
    Not all (don't know the percentage) Steyrs have the FTE problem, so those that don't are significantly better than the Glock. My M9 has never had any problem in 1,100 rounds, so I changed my CCW gun from G17L and G19 to the M9.
    Hopefully Steyr will come out with a .45 that has the kinks worked out and retains the advanced design evident in the Steyr (although, in my opinion, some of those advances have been lost already in the A1 series).

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Everybody keeps mentioning the better Steyr trigger (over and over) on this board, but I don't see it. :lol:

The Steyr reset is vague, not a nice crisp *click* like Glock. My Glock also has a lighter pull than my Steyr which feels pretty stiff. Jeff at SAI said there wasn't really anything he could do for the trigger pull. Glock triggers are more tuneable if you're not happy with the stock pull.

Trigger preference is really subjective. I just happen to prefer Glock, that's all.

Ergonomically, the Steyr wins, but I trust the Glock package a little more.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Until Steyr fixes the chronic FTE problems they aren't even in the same universe as Glock.
    The #1 criteria for a fighting pistol is reliability, EVERYTHING else is secondary.
    I think everything about the Steyr is a evolutionary step above the Glock, but the reliability issues shut it down.

7. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Sounds like everybody is on the right track. As wonderful as my Steyrs are I still occassionally have a FTE and it stops me dead in my tracks for CCW. So i have to leave the house with a Glock 17, 20,21, or 30............I'll be giving the new 357sig barrel a workout though to see it the cartridge is more reliable with ejection..........so far its been better then the 40 barrel in the same gun..............

8. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

LH2 said:
    "Everybody keeps mentioning the better Steyr trigger (over and over) on this board, but I don't see it.

The Steyr reset is vague, not a nice crisp *click* like Glock. My Glock also has a lighter pull than my Steyr which feels pretty stiff. Jeff at SAI said there wasn't really anything he could do for the trigger pull. Glock triggers are more tuneable if you're not happy with the stock pull."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    While the Steyr reset is a bit more vague, it doesn't seem too much different to me.
    However, if there is one thing that leaps out at me with the many Glocks and the few Steyrs I have shot, is that the trigger of the Steyr is way more precise and crisp than the sproingy trigger of the Glock.
    Maybe you should have your Steyr looked at to see if something isn't seriously out of spec with its trigger.

9. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

i don't think ina stress situation anyone is going to be thinking or feeling the click reset of a Glock. Its going to be more basic.....My sense of a Steyr trigger is a feel more like a single action trigger........I'm not as aware of it, like when I'm shooting a 1911.........short and sweet........... =D>

10. FN

FN New Member

FTE problems and poor availability of parts makes the M9-A1 a no go for me. At this point.....I'm sticking with my GLOCKS. Steyr needs to get in the game or get out of it.

11. charmincarmens

Nov.27th

Today is Dec.26,that is how long I have been with out my new M9 A1. So I would have to say My Glock 19 will be my CCW for a long time.Even though I think the Steyr is built better and has better features,it will never be MY defense weapon. RA ALL THE WAY

12. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

My Steyr M40 - A1 has no FTE problems at all, 700 rounds so far....

My advice is going to be Steyr....

The glock is a great gun, but my Steyr out performs it and my bro's XD hands down.

That being said, if you want all the add on's, aftermarket products, hundreds of holsters to choose from, and everything else under the sun for your weapon, then go with the Glock.

13. charmincarmens

I agree with you,if you are going to make a product,you should be able to use it for what it is intended for.If this was a BRAND new product I would understand.But this product is like no other,it can cause death if it does not work.It is a shame,because this gun is almost perfect for me.It has so many great features.When I get it back from steyr I will run some rounds threw it,and I will then make my FINAL judgement.I have a question though.My M9 A1 was made in 2004,why was this gun made to be sold with out the up dates on it?Why do dealers have them in there show rooms,knowing that there may be a FTE problem.Any way,you guys have a happy new year and stay safe.RA ALL THE WAY

14. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

overall steyrs are much better than Glocks.

biggest issue with steyr has been ejection issues.
    Glocks have Blown up,had manufacture faulty tabs that would break while shooting luckily no reports of anyone getting a slide stuck in there face. FTF issues lots of changes over the generations.

buy a glock your more likely to see a new version with non interchangeable parts. if they dont give you the parts your bound to get the "good deal". Glock has had faulty guns and no product recalls S&W has had some equally bad stuff and pulled same tactics as if same playbook. though S&W is better now.

I have 4 steyrs I guess I just must have been lucky wish I could buy 4 lottery tickets and have 4 winners.

except for Glocks and other old designs other gun makes see alot more negative feedback except specially when fairly new in the market most of it being tripe from other design owners. be nice if everyone that has a steyr and good experience posted.

its apples and oranges. except for the polymer frame the rest is pretty easy to make for the steyr.

if your truely concerned about parts buy another gun of the same make and model. I bought my Steyrs back when Steyr pistols were being liquidated and service and support was unknown of at the time. though turns out a company in Iowa was handling it though it switched to the new much more supported and dedicated facility in Georgia

15. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

steyr all the way

about 1500 rds through her, had (1) fte during break-in. :roll:

eats anything i feed her.

a real pleasure to own and shoot!

guess i won the lottery. :D

my glock sets patiently in it's case waiting to be used.
    oh yeah had a fte with mr. g too? 8-O :oops:
    man , i 'm feeling guilty......will take mr. g to
    the range next time out....promise! :wink:

16. charmincarmens

How many out there?

I do agree that Glocks have problems.But if you consider the ratio of Glocks to Steyrs that are out there being used, there is very little problems with Glocks.