Steyr is Sanctioned by the US

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Guest, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

State Dept. Sanctions 9 Foreign Companies

By BARRY SCHWEID
    The Associated Press
    Wednesday, December 28, 2005; 1:55 AM

WASHINGTON -- The Bush administration is punishing nine foreign companies, six of them in China, for selling missile goods and chemical arms material to Iran.

In making the announcement Tuesday, State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said the sanctions were based on "credible evidence," which he did not disclose.

Two of the companies are Indian and the other is Austrian.

As a result, Ereli said, the United States will not provide export licenses to the companies for doing business here and will ban U.S. government purchases from the companies.

The action was taken under the Iran Nonproliferation Act, which Congress passed in 2000 to deter international support for Iran's nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs and for missile-delivery systems.

"It's an important and effective tool in constraining Iran's efforts to develop missile and weapons of mass destruction capabilities," Ereli said.

"It does have an impact, particularly in alerting governments to activity taking place in their countries," he said.

Preventing proliferation of dangerous technology is difficult "and there are always going to be those who put narrow commercial self-interest above greater social good or public welfare," the spokesman said.

China, in the past, has denied its government or any of its companies have supplied missile or weapons-related material to Iran.

In an unclassified report to Congress last year, the Central Intelligence Agency said Iran was pursuing nuclear and chemical-biological weapons programs and was trying to procure material from commercial entities in Russia, China, North Korea and Europe.

The Washington Times reported the U.S. action in Tuesday's editions.

The Chinese companies named by Ereli are China Aerotechnology Import Export Corp., the missile exporter China North Industries Corp., Zibo Chemet Equipment Co., the Hongdu Aviation Industry Group, Ounion International Economic and Technical Cooperative Ltd., and the Limmt Metallurgy and Minerals Co.

The two sanctioned Indian companies are Sabero Organics Chemical and Sandhya Organics Chemical. The Austrian firm is Steyr-Mannlicher, which makes assault weapons.

2. Auburn

Auburn New Member

So what exactly does this mean? It sounds like Steyr is effectively banned from importing any more product into the US, which ultimately would mean the end of new sales?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

That's the way I read it. Talked with SteyrUSA and they will not comment.

4. BurningDog

BurningDog New Member

I posted this from a different source a couple days ago. It said :

Depending on which is correct, it could be a ban on outgoing products to Steyr.

5. IDPASteyr

IDPASteyr New Member

Posted today. The likely reason Steyr USA is not commenting at this time.

Austria:Steyr-Mannlicher arms sale to Iran 'legal'

Thursday, December 29, 2005 - ©2005 IranMania.com

LONDON, December 29 (IranMania) - The Austrian interior ministry called "unimpeachable" and "legal" the sale to Iran of special weaponry by the Austrian arms manufacturer Steyr-Mannlicher, now facing US sanctions.

The sale of some 800 HS50 sniper rifles was approved and controlled by the Austrian authorities, including the foreign ministry, before it was completed last August, said Johannes Rauch, an interior ministry spokesman.

The weapons were bought to arm elite shooters in the fight against drug trafficking in Iran, Rauch added.

Austria's defense of the arms sale to Tehran came the day after the United States said that six Chinese companies and two from India as well as Steyr-Mannlicher had been sanctioned for weapons and technology transfers to Iran.

The sanctions, which ban the companies from doing business with the US government and US companies, were based on the Iran Non-Proliferation Act of 2000, which aims to prevent Tehran from developing nuclear weapons.

When making the announcement in Washington Tuesday, a spokesman for the State Department, Adam Ereli, said the United States had "excellent" cooperation from the Austrian government in the case against Steyr-Mannlicher, suggesting that the matter may be resolved soon.

6. WorldPax

WorldPax New Member

I read that to say that Steyr may not do buisness with the US Government, doesn't say anything about selling to the US Public.

2 faced bastards, It's OK for GW's dad to sell guns to the Iranians, but not Steyr.

7. madecov

madecov Active Member

Hopefully, this will not affect the current set up and distribution.

I really Really want Steyr to be a success here in the US, I want them to kick Glocks butt

8. WorldPax

WorldPax New Member

+1000

9. Ripped

Ripped New Member

I also cuncur. however . it could be said that steyr manlicher has thier main distribution in the european market and thereabouts.. but what about Glock their fellow neighbor also from Austria. Several things have brought Glock to its current status in the United States Word of mouth,Hollywood,And Immidiate access to repair/replacement parts. I do not underestimate Steyr in the least nor should you.. Im quite sure they are not blind to reason with thier counterparts success. If Steyr Wished to be full on here i somewhat belive that they would already have a factory here or in Canada Already.

If the sanctions hold up. dont worry too much. Im quite sure they will be able to ship and recieve to Canadian Distributors.. then the only Bad part is Markup on parts will increase drastically.

The Sanctions do not seem wholy justified, as one could indeed bring up the US simply being hypocrites. Not only did GW sell to them look back in history only a few short years back "mid 80`s" Iran contra crap .. Good ol Oliver North..

I hope things for Steyr work out in thier best interests. However i also believe the Rabbit hole travels much further than the eye can see.. There is more than meets the eye in the sanctions just read between the lines. Sounds like someones competing for Guberment contracts.. :)

10. madecov

madecov Active Member

On another note. I remember years ago Toshiba was also sanctioned for selling submarine propeller technology to the Russians. TV's/Vcr's were still available.

11. Matches

Matches New Member

How does the old saying go "Any publicity is good publicity". Add that to many people wanting that forbiden fruit and Steyr may come out ahead on this situation.

Matches

12. Ripped

Ripped New Member

on a GOOD note. i just read this in the AP...

Tue Dec 27, 6:10 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) -

Also cited was Austrian firearms maker Steyr-Mannlicher.

Ereli did not provide details on what the companies supplied to Iran, but stressed the credibility of the information on which Washington based the sanctions, which took effect December 23.

He noted that Norinco, a leading Chinese defense industry conglomerate, is a repeat offender.

He also praised the Austrian government for its cooperation in the case of Steyr-Mannlicher, suggesting as well that the sanctions on Steyr could be lifted quickly.

Some 40 companies have been sanctioned since the establishment of the Iran Non-Proliferation Act.

Link to full article...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051227/pl ... 1227230924

[​IMG]

13. RangerM9

RangerM9 New Member

Hey madecov....good call on the toshiba issue.....

to this day....i still cannot bring myself to buy toshiba after that.

14. madecov

madecov Active Member

And it didn't really hurt them much.
    They make a hell of a laptop computer.

15. CGuns

CGuns New Member

I am brainstorming on this too.

It is REALLY screwed up on the part of the U.S. Govt to go after Steyr for selling some rifles to Iran.

If you look at the rest of the companies, they were dealing in WMD (Nuc. Bio. Chem.) related products.

Steyr-Mannlicher was ONLY selling rifles. .50 cal are not remotely related to WMD's.

Wolfgang, the president of Steyr Mannlicher Austria, offered the U.S. Govt. a deal. Make entry into the U.S. market easier for them, by loosening up on the 1989 import ban. Provided the U.S. Govt. comply, no rifles would have been sold to Iran.
    U.S. Govt. told them to F**** Off.

Business is business. An order such as that is what Steyr Mannlicher needs to stay in business. In case you didn't know, Steyr Mannlicher is no longer publicly held. As a "Kg" or "Kommanditgesellschaft", they are classified as a limited partnership, under German corporate law. They don't have the pockets they used to.

Be that as it may, if the State Department wishes to sanction Steyr Mannlicher Austria, and in doing so, creates import/export issues with spare parts, WE WILL HAVE PARTS. Even if it means setting up shop somewhere offshore.

16. CGuns

CGuns New Member

I also did some thinking on the U.S. Govt's stance on us as citizen gun owners. The "Steyr Deal" showed me the following:

1. U.S. Govt. doesn't trust its citizens with semi-automatic weapons
    2. U.S. Govt. doesn't want its citizens to be armed with semi-automatic weapons
    3. There is no difference in function between an AR-15/M4 Carbine and a Steyr AUG, yet we are not allowed the AUG
    4. The U.S. Govt. doesn't trust its citizens enough to allow them to be armed with a semi-auto firearm and in the process allows a shipment of .50 caliber rifles to go to Iran.
    5. Which do you think is worse.... .50 caliber rifles going to Iran or our population being armed with semi-automatic rifles?
    6. The AUG is not a gangbanger weapon. They would still be rare and expensive, easily in the $1500 price range.
    7. The U.S. Govt. ELECTED to have sniper rifles sold to Iran instead of semi-automatic rifles sold to us,which function no different than at least 15-20 other rifles that are already available to us.

17. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

sanctions

this news about sanctions might be the fuel that will have individuals and shop owner's inflating prices on steyr products using the excuse that no imports mean rare / collector status and the replacement parts are now at a premium. has anyone experienced this yet? :(

18. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

For Shame.

Ok,

I had the wonderful opportunity to do a study last fall on the 1989 Executive Order issued by George H.W. Bush that through federal administrative law directed the BATFE to set-up the guidelines to interpret the Gun Control Act of 1968, which among other things restricts the import of non-sporting rifles. I had selected the import restrictions as my topic for a Gun Control Seminar taken to help fulfill my elective requirement for law school. The 1968 non-sporting restriction was the culmination of years of post WWII attempts by domestic firearms manufacturers to eliminate or restrict foreign competition. George H.W. Bush was and remains a life time member of the NRA who painted his opponent Michael Dukakis as a “gun-grabber” throughout the 1988 election. The reasoning behind the 1989 Executive Order was simply a way for President Bush Senior to appease the U.S. firearms manufacturers who had donated large amount to his campaign, but also appear to be taking action against crime. However, as we all know the Steyr AUG and HK weapons were not favored by gang bangers because of their large price tags.

In short, Steyr Mannlicher currently denied equal access to the largest civilian firearms market for all their rifles deemed non-sporting by the BATFE and as a private corporation with large overhead made a legal sale of their product to a foreign nation. Now the current Bush administration that makes a habit out of stretching Congressional Acts (See NSA wiretaps) hopes to enforce its will on a foreign corporation under a 2000 Congressional Act that was created to prevent corporations from helping Iran proliferate weapons of mass destruction. The argument that semi-auto .50 caliber rifles somehow aid in Iran’s proliferation of weapons of mass destruction or missile technology is tenuous at best. I also think it was a huge mistake to penalize a European corporation when we are in need of their support in aiding the war on terror and the conflict in Iraq. Apparently the Bush administration’s foreign policy consists of only a stick and no carrot.

19. CGuns

CGuns New Member

Well said.

The above is 110% correct and I agree.

20. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

Not being an arms company, though, how does that relate?

I think Steyr will pull through, either way, but they direly need an American market director.