Steyr Handguns, going forward, what should they do?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by coltc, Jan 14, 2018.

1. usetobeglocky

usetobeglocky New Member

did you take apart the "multifunction element"? couple of springs in there that you have to watch out for, or try to see where they flew off to. look for shiny places inside the gun where wear is happening, look for burrs, look for dirt and schmutz.
    this is rumor so far, but Steyr at some point did some modifications to the pistol design and got rid of some problems and complaints. I don't know the time frame on that. don't know what to do with and older gun. I don't want to promote bad behavior, but dumping the gun for "the right price" at a gun show is always an option. have you talked to Steyr about sending the gun in to them for a checkup?

2. Six Toed Slim

Six Toed Slim New Member

I did just do a complete teardown of the lower for the first time ever and got into so deep cleaning. The trigger improved so I think there was dirt and grime build up where it shouldn't be. Though to be fair I think that the trigger on my XD is a shade lighter, though I would have to get a gage to be certain. Selling this one isn't an option for me. It is one of 3 guns that I bought from "the Baron" (inside joke) who used to be the only Steyr dealer in MN. He moved out of state a few years ago, and I keep it as a memento as well.

3. p230

p230 New Member

Yes the hosted options are limited. I really wanted to carry mine so I had one made by HBE leatherworks.

4. Six Toed Slim

Six Toed Slim New Member

I was actually looking at them to make a custom holster for mine as well. That might still be an option at some point, for the time being I default to carrying something else that I have practiced on a lot more and more recently. Though for a while I was using a Crossfire holster that I bought from the NRA catalog and that was working ok, it needs a wide, stiff belt but it also really doesn't print very much either.

5. rebel49

rebel49 Member

You guys should really look in to Stoner Holsters. Well made! And reasonable. I carry daily for up to 12 hours one of their IWB holsters and my M357, and I have no complaints. Steel reinforced top helps with re-holstering also. I have had them make custom OWB for the Steyr's and am happy with those also.

6. Sheepdoggit

Sheepdoggit New Member

Hi, I'm new. I've been watching Steyr for years, but I'm really only in the market for a subcompact at the moment. I'm hoping that the S9-A1 will be released with 12-round magazines soon. If you've notice, it seems like striker-fired pistols have received an upgrade across brands over the last year, and I'm hoping Steyr will follow. Glock went ambi, S&W got their Glock 19-sized compact, Walther came out with the PPQ subcompact, SIG released the P365 etc...

Steyr's platform, although pretty phenomenal in its own right, deserves to be thrown a bone regarding import restrictions (oligopolistic concerns aside). I don't buy this excuse that they limit the subcompact to 10 rounds because of the restricted states, and maybe now that the market is getting more competitive, we'll see a 12+1 magazine option for the S-A1. I can't justify 10+1 at 4.8" of height when I have a Glock 26. What do other think? In my opinion it needs more capacity, upgraded grip texturing, ambi slide stop/release, and some more aftermarket support.