Steyr Handguns, going forward, what should they do?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by coltc, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Rotorflyr

Rotorflyr Member

Unless I've managed to over look it (and that's entirely possible :D) A simple but overlooked part would be replacement recoil springs, seems Steyr only sells the rod/spring combo (since it's a one piece captured system), would be nice to just be able to buy the spring itself...

MicPop likes this.
  2. steyrcase

steyrcase Member

Whatever it takes to make ejection consistently to the right, never at my head.

Colin Shreffler likes this.

3. RangerPointPrecision

RangerPointPrecision New Member

Ya sorry no can do. We don't have the equipment in house to make flat wire springs. I doubt Steyr even makes them in-house. Would need to be designed, tooled and manufactured by someone like Wolff or one of the other spring makers. And then bought in bulk to get the pricing down. Hopefully Steyr USA has plans for that once they get the new AL facility up and running.

SurfGent likes this.
  4. Rotorflyr

Rotorflyr Member

It's doubtful that will happen considering the stock assembly is a single piece captured system that isn't really intended to be "user serviceable" in that (simple) respect.

5. RangerPointPrecision

RangerPointPrecision New Member

Well we can ask when they’re set up. They’ll need to machine the guide rods and use a partner our machine in-house the springs. Two parts that are then assembled together into one thing. So the question will be can you make/buy extra springs?

SurfGent likes this.
  6. SurfGent

SurfGent Active Member

I think if they would just continue to import them from Austria in the Gen 1 quality standards you wouldn't have to do a damn thing to them. Just my opinion. I'm very disappointed in the quality of craftsmanship and fit and finish of my M9 A1 VS my gen 1 M40

RangerPointPrecision likes this.
  7. Pixsurguy

Pixsurguy Member

If I could get a Steyr M10a1 I'd forget all about wanting an M357, which will never happen of course.

8. Pixsurguy

Pixsurguy Member

I have a great little Walther PPS (which I chose over the S9) and with my 8 round mag and one in the chamber I am only one short of the Steyr S9. I don't understand why the S9, which at least seems much larger than the PPS, only takes ten rounds. I am a real fan of Steyr pistols and am very happy with my M9a1. I wanted to be happy with an S9, but the PPS won me over.

9. Pixsurguy

Pixsurguy Member

I am happy with the trap sights and, in fact, they were one of the things that made me buy my M9a1. However, I swapped out the three-dot sights on my Walther PPS and installed the XS Big Dot tritium night sights. I love them and am tempted to put them on my M9a1, but I won't.

10. Pixsurguy

Pixsurguy Member

You are probably right with the laser. I'd think that a laser would be the best solution to night shooting. However, I have XS Big Dot tritium sights on my Walther PPS and I put twenty rounds through it one night to see if it worked. Was shooting the Underwood +P 9mm rounds with their supposed "flash reduced" powder. The Big Dot worked like a champ before the first shot and was at least fairly usable after it. I'm an old guy with bad eyes so I was surprised and pleased. It seems to me that a carry pistol without good-sized night sights is foolish. At night is when we are most likely to need a defensive pistol. I say "good sized" in view of the tritium front sight I put on one of my 1911s, which was just way too thin. I did not pay enough attention when I bought it on line.

11. Colin Shreffler

Colin Shreffler New Member

One enhancement I'd like to see is a more forgiving Magazine Well. Currently the Mag Well is pretty narrow.

The bottom of the pistol grip is thinner than the top; it's tapered that way on the outside of the pistol grip. It seems like there would be some room to increase the thickness at this part of the grip and add a bit more of a Magazine Well there WITHOUT increasing the diameter of the grip too much. This would make magazine insertion a bit easier and more forgiving (like in the S&W M&P series).

MicPop likes this.