steyr GB with optics?

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by guncats, Mar 11, 2012.

1. guncats

guncats New Member

Interested in getting a GB and am wondering how accurate it can be with a scope. It has metal frame so I supposed adding a side mount should be relativly easy? I have no doubt the GB is accurate, but since the nose is by default touching the barrel and every thing does heat up during firing, how much will that affect the point of impact? (a frame-mounted optic doesn't track the direction of the barrel)

now if the optic is barrel mounted then it will be so much easier, but then we need a custome long barrel (possibly need 8": 2.5" for the optic mount to clamp onto, 0.5" for threading for brake).

Any input will be greatly appreciated. First hand experience only please, though.

2. Soverign

Soverign Premium Member

um, the GB is a pistol.

3. xthexheadx

xthexheadx New Member

i'm glad you spoke up soverign, this post confused the hell out of me.....

hey Guncats... do you have a picture of what it is that you're proposing ? it doesnt sound even physically possible, let alone the cost of custom machining a long barrel... it would cost you more than the gun and optic combined if i had to guess

4. dash

dash Member

The best you might be able to do is find a mount that surrounds the slide, mounts to both sides of the frame and is far enough forward to allow the slide to be removed without the need to constantly remove the mount. The reason I say the mount should attached to both sides is, since the frame on the GB is a stamping and not nearly as thick as say, a 1911 styled pistol, the more material you have to attach to the better. Plus, you don't want to have screws protruding into the recoil spring channel...they may interfere with the movement. Kind of llike this...

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/11...-1911-browning-hi-power-cz-75-85-polymer-blue

As far mounting something on the barrel, forget it, as Soverign said, it's a pistol and the barrel just doesn't have the extra material on it. However, I did see an extended barrel offering from IGB a while ago. Maybe I can find a link or dig up a picture. Here it is

http://www.igbaustria.com/shop/inde....html&XTCsid=d8f4af4c01ba257f324367be56946d6f

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  5. guncats

guncats New Member

hmm. The first post was confusing?

If I do get a GB it will be mostly for precision, then a scope of some kind is a must. (there is nothing else going for the GB: caliber is not powerful enough, size is a bit too big, mag capacity is nothing special any more, and muzzle recovery probably won't be super fast due to the high bore axis.... say, not as fast as my P7).

dash, thanks a ton for the info on the long barrel :thumbsup:. I never knew it existed...:drool:

6. guncats

guncats New Member

xthexheadx, this is how it could happen:
    say, I find a smith who is willing to take up the challenge to make me a customer barrel. I then provide him one of my Suomi barrels (barrel comes from a Suomi M31 parts kit, the barrel is too short for a rifle build anyway) to work on. He will machine the barrel and chop it down to, say, 7". Once installed, 5" will be hidden under the slide, 2" will be exposed. I then get a optic mount to clamp onto the exposed portion, much like how you would attach the barrel weight on to a P9S sport.

The downside is that the optic will have to come off the barrel during cleaning.