steyr gb gray ghost

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by silentheart, Oct 20, 2019.

1. silentheart

silentheart Active Member

Dear knowledgeable members,

I recently acquired a steyr GB gray ghost in near new condition. It is still at my FFL in the moment. It does not have the original box and no test target and manual.
    2 major sticking points.
    1 It has one of the original magazine. The other one is the commercial magazine. I nderstand it will not hurt its value too much due to the mag.
    2 I can tell the GB has been fondled a lot because some of the coating near the take down lever are wear but not wear off. Upon my inspection, I am 95% sure it has not been fired since the original owner or has not been fired.
    So here is the question. If it is indeed unfired GB gray ghost, will you flip it? I am leaning to keep it. Also, if you suggest to keep it, will you fire a mag through it? It is like a virgin, you know what I mean.
    Once I have it at home, if I am sure it has been fired, I will keep it and enjoy shooting it. But if it has not fired since factory, I just cannot make up my mind on what to do with it.
    Also, for the one has the gray ghost, does it have the importer on top of the slide?
    Thank you for your comments and suggestions.
    SH

2. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Wow . Is all I can say.
    Have to think on this one .

SurfGent likes this.

3. silentheart

Will post a couple pictures when I pick up from ffl later this week.

SurfGent and Case like this.
  4. silentheart

Sorry, due to tinypic closing, I am trying to figure out a free picture hosting site. Will figure out and load pictures later.
    Upon the further inspection, my guess is my gb has been fired less than 50 rounds (prob much less than that. A quick question, does anyone know the gb is test fired at factory and/or come with a test target paper?
    Thanks.

5. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Most of styers products are only test fired for functional and then shipped. No targets or brass.
    The gb New would have had , gun, 2 mags, cleaning kit, information book, all in a white/gray box the I side of the box was red line.

SurfGent and silentheart like this.
  6. silentheart

Thank you sir for your info.
    Unfortunately, mine is missing the box, cleaning kit and manual. Would you by any chance know if the gray ghost come with 2 parkerized mag or 1 parkerized and one commercial? Mine has 1 each.

7. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Honestly I am at somewhat of a loss to the exact model of this great ghost I am only familiar with 3 variants of the GB. 1 was the Standard Black pistol with a rounded hammer. 2 Was the military odie green With a hammer spur . 3 Was the clone P38 that was all stainless and was High polished .
    All magazines for the Stier GB will be black and they were stamped with the Stier logo that I have seen or Had .

SurfGent and silentheart like this.
  8. silentheart

The “gray ghost” gb is nick name for the supposedly 937 military version of the gb sold to civilians. Please see the link. I hear some people used that term before.
    https://www.remtek.com/arms/steyr/gb/gb.htm
    Mine has 2 mags. Entire gun looks very clean and has some left over packing grease on trigger springs and inside of the grip. Only place I found powder residue is inside the front cap and it has very little. That is why I am thinking it was test fired but not fired by the owner. Can’t find any history since I bought it from a pawn shop. Wish I have the box and documents. But it would not be as good of price I paid for.
    Thanks again.

9. Case

Case Well-Known Member

SurfGent likes this.
  10. silentheart

SurfGent, Michael Dobesch and Case like this.
  11. SurfGent

SurfGent Well-Known Member

How about some pics for the forum

12. silentheart

Sorry. Finally figured out how to post pictures. And thank you Case!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  13. SurfGent

SurfGent Well-Known Member

14. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Find one that has been fired already if you want to shoot one. This is a Safe Queen!

Case, SurfGent and silentheart like this.