Steyr from CDNN, is it any good?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by cornfedmidget, Dec 15, 2007.

1. cornfedmidget

cornfedmidget Guest

Saw the steyr in CDNN and really liked the look of it. I would like to handle one in person, but am tempted to buy. I am a little hesitant after reading about the fte, brass in face and magazine spring problems discussed on this forum. I currently own an FN FNP40, a Zastava 999, and Stoeger Cougar, each of which has never had a problem of fit or function; though I don't shoot the cougar as well as the others. Sounds like SAI is good with customers. You all may be biased, but what should I look out for if I do decide to buy the steyr (probably the m40a1). Thanks

ps. I may sell the stoeger cougar for this purchase, nothing is wrong just don't shoot as well as others, maybe it is the rotating barrel?

2. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

I hope they're good because I ordered one (M40-A1) yesterday :lol:

It will replace my Glock 23.

3. steyrile

steyrile Member

Bought my M9 from CDNN a couple years ago and it has been absolutely trouble free. The trap sights may or not work for you and that is the only caveat I can come up with. Latest CDNN catalog shows they've lowered the price $10 which will cover most of the shipping to your ffl.
    Go for it and let us know your first impressions as well as a range report.
    Welcome to the club!
    Health, Peace
    steyrile

4. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

A bunch of people around here have bought theirs from CDNN, just strip her down and clean her as she has been on a shelf for a year or two and the grease she came with has turned to crud.

5. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

For $340 take the plunge. Odds are way in your favor that you will get a keeper. Yes to the reportred problems you indicated but they are fixable, the exception, and I would not worry. As for me, the jury is still out on the trap sights but I am going to give it some more time. Most folks love the trigger as is, it can be smoothed-out further without a PhD in engineering, I only wish it was a tad lighter but that's just me.

I happen to think the MA1 is an extremely well-made, solid and durable handgun. Get it while the gettin' is good.

And should you run into any problems, you've got folks here on call 24/7 ready to lend a hand.

6. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

I'm really looking forward to it. I bought a Taurus PT 24/7 Pro .45 and it has really shown me that you can get a really good quality handgun for a damn good price so I'm taking a chance on Steyr and love what I've heard about them so far.

Glock reliability but without such an awkward grip? I'm in!!!

7. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Good for you :clap:

I am a 1911 guy and have found most 1911's need a little tweaking here or there to make them tip top. After I got the Steyr I found the same thing.

I say start here https://www.steyrclub.com/ go through all the tutorials.

Oh and don't forget the Big Taco guide rod..viewforum.php?f=30

Sorry for the sloppy links can't seem to make them work anymore...

8. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

Yep, I was looking through those earlier today. Very informative! I'll see how it shoots out of the box before I mess with the guide rod and spring or the trigger but I'm sure I'll be picky and just have to do something to it :D

9. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Get one and you will be the pride of Irmo, SC. :) Where I live, I've been shooting with the Dali Lama and he loves it.

10. The Steyr M40A1 is one of the most reliable DAO polymer pistols available for sale within the USA today.

The malfunctions you see reported here are no more than you would see reported at any other forum dedicated to a certain brand of pistol. With all the ammunition choices available in the United States and the fact that not all of them are created equal there are times when some ammunition will not work well for some pistols. The Steyr does not like Wolf or Remington UMC pistol ammunition and if you use reloads just like with any other pistol you take your chances with malfunctions depending on who was doing the reloading and how well it was done. If you were to use WWB or CCI Blazzer Brass, didn't limp wrist the pistol, and keep the Steyr well maintained (clean it and lube it) it will fire all day long. I believe that would be my advice for any pistol though.

The improved extractor of the MA1s and those M's that have been upgraded have largely solved the erratic and other extraction issues.

The cdnn Steyrs will most likely need a good take down and cleaning before use. In the past there have been reports of the pistol being received where the gun oils had gunked up after being in storage for a long time. The mag spring problem is not an issue as far as I am concerned. All you have to do is open the tacked thread here, take down your mag, and compare the springs. I believe the Cdnn mags that come with the MA1 are 10 rounders anyways so there wouldn' be a problem with those just any 12 rounders you may purchase from them. If there is a problem you just have to call-up Steyr Arms (the contact info is here and their website) and ship them your mags for spring replacement.

At the end of the day I think you get a pretty darn good deal on an Austrian made pistol that will soon be back to retailing for around $500.00 easy. You will not see new MA1 witht he Mannox finish or SA1s going for anywhere near the price Cdnn has their MA1s available for.

11. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

I could have sworn the guy at CDNN said it will come with (2) 12 round mags...hopefully I'm remembering correctly :lol:

I know all about gunked up oil...my Taurus 24/7 Pro .45 had plenty of it and a little bit of it has been surfacing after some time at the range. I'm sure it will all work its way out eventually.

12. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

The M40-A1 comes with 2 12-rd. mags and M9-A1 with 2 15-rd. mags unless you live in California, then you get 10-rd. mags regardless of caliber. :mrgreen:

13. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

Every morning I wake up I'm thankfull I don't live any where near there!

14. madecov

madecov Active Member

Buy now or forever regret.
    CDNN dropped the price by $10.00

Once they are gone and official importation resumes expect them to go up in cost

15. I stand corrected the Cdnn MA1 40s come with 12 rounders.

Plus, the only mag spring problems were with the 9mm 15 rounders the .40 S&W 12 rounders are fine so no need to worry as far as I know about the .40 S&W 12 rounders.