Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Monday 29, October 2012
Steyr-Mannlicher STM556

With the Austrian Steyr Mannlicher armory now sets the next European tradition manufacturer submits an AR-15 clone.

Photo: Steyr-Mannlicher

The STM556 is gas-operated with short-stroke gas piston system and rotating bolt that locks over seven warts. The gun weighs about 3,200 grams empty and is drawn out with maximum shoulder support 880 mm long.

Photo: Steyer Mannlicher

The six-drawn, cold hammered barrel can be replaced in a few seconds. There are versions with 393 mm and 406 mm length. The magazine capacity is 30 rounds 5.56 x 45 mm.
Photo: Steyr-Mannlicher

The gas piston has four settings: Standard, exhaust, extreme conditions, shut down. Unlike many other AR-15 clones can also secure the gun, in the relaxed state, so that secure charging and discharging is possible.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Thats a different take on the AR.

Forearm isn't interchangeable though, but its not to overdone.

I hate useless rails though.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
last thing the worlds need is another ar15 clone. the design is flawed due to the long bolt
and buttstock. though adding piston to it is a necessary upgrade for reliability.

bring on the AUG and Nato AUG that uses ar15/m4/m16 mags much better gun for the money imo.

·
Registered
632 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I suspect we'll see the Steyr AR in more than 5.56. With a one piece upper, interchangeable barrel, one can see 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, and a few other interesting calibers.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
...Except Steyr moves at a snails pace. We will see those caliber conversion kits released a few weeks after all the aforementioned calibers lose all relevance.

·
Registered
632 Posts
id like the have the upper maybe.... i already have a bad ass custom lower!
The AR platform is just really nice that way as long as you know what your doing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...Except Steyr moves at a snails pace. We will see those caliber conversion kits released a few weeks after all the aforementioned calibers lose all relevance.
Like, now?

Low blow, I know, but I just had to. I was thinking of a 6.8 earlier this year when I found a Barret Rec7 at a good price, but talked myself out of it when the local gun shops had more ammo in .30 Rem AR, or even .264 Win Mag and .30 TC. In some cases, one box meant they had more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the idea of the Steyr AR (SteyAR?) OK, but I see some negatives. At least, negatives IMO.

I can't help but think it will be noticeably heavier toward the front end with the gas system and QC additions. Is it worth it?
Well, I'm not sure how much a QC barrel adds to an AR for most people. A complete upper doesn't take more than a couple seconds longer to change, and then it could have a pre-zeroed optic or sights. And by changing only the barrel, you are limited to calibers using the .223 boltface, so it wouldn't be as versatile as an upper swap. I'd have to think a Steyr AR with QC barrel would cost more than most good ARs with a second upper, too.

I'm really thinking this is the result of some country's fishing expedition. The HK416A5 is really similar in features, and so are some recent showings from some smaller makers. bet if one looks around, they will find someone's military posted a request for test guns listing these same features as requirements. Someplace that wanted a piston AR, with a safety that can go on with the hammer down, and in 5.56 but with a choice in barrel lengths to suit the task.

I think we are looking at a $2,000+ .223 AR, which I don't see being a hot seller in the USA. The relatively few speding that much will go to an ACR or SCAR rather that "just another AR". I also think Steyr knows that, and won't bother trying to sell any in the US.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
I agree with all of that. I do not believe for one minute that this was designed with civilian shooters (or civilian budgets) in mind. The average guy will probably be much better served by a regular AR. Still, if by some miracle this thing isn't priced 3x higher than the competition, I would be interested in it just for the novelty.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I agree with all of that. I do not believe for one minute that this was designed with civilian shooters (or civilian budgets) in mind. The average guy will probably be much better served by a regular AR. Still, if by some miracle this thing isn't priced 3x higher than the competition, I would be interested in it just for the novelty.
yep, got to agree...... my thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
632 Posts
We got the AuG, which is a masterpiece already.

And the AR Market is super flooded from cheap reliable AR's up to high quality ones like JP customs and Sabre Industries.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can see shelling out big bucks for AUG purely for CDI factor. But another AR clone? Absolutely pointless. There are companies that will run circles around Steyr's AR for quarter of the price, because that's what it will take for them to be profitable. Hence it will never sell in numbers and drag the company even further down. You can't compete in AR platform arena - too many players making dirt cheap rifles that are reliable. Sig made one recently - see how well it worked for them. Not trying to sound like I'm bashing the idea, but it's just really silly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts