Steyr and IPSC Production Class

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Wingshooter, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Guest

Anyone use their M series handgun in IPSC Production class or any other class?

How does Steyr stack up against other handguns for you in the Productions class?

What holster do you use?

What Ammo do you use?

Minor or Major?

Any other helpful info wil be appreciated. I have had an M40 for about 6 years now and have never shoot any formal competition, just backyard range stuff.

Thank you for replyinjg to my first post.

2. drsmith58

drsmith58 New Member

Production or Limited 10 class?

I think the M40 is at a slight disadvantage in the Production class compared to the Limited 10 class. In the production class you'll be competing against guns that can hold 13-20 rounds compared to the Steyr's 12 rds mags. If you are shooting factory ammo it should be major. The best advice is don't wait or procrastinate. If you have a holster, 3 magazines and a mag holder find a place a go shoot. Lots of fun.

3. nixon

nixon Member

if I may suggest. IDPA is probably the best group to participate in competitive shooting when using steyrs. They have all types of division or class where you can compete with shooters of the same ability.

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i've shot them both and i feel that ipsc is more enjoyable.

i have always shot production class with an m9, which is minor.

and always used ten shot mags because that's all we were allowed. atleast at the club level events i attended.

upon re-reading some ipsc rules online, it seems that full capacity mags ARE allowed. hmmm, i better get to the bottom of this.

that being said, i've seen full on race gun style 1911's in the limited ten class. your steyr will definitely be disadvantaged in that case.

your best bet is to find a buddy, or make a new buddy to show you the ropes on your first day. it can be a lot to jump into and some clubs get picky about rules like:

not showing up to the range with a loaded gun (strange for a group of people trying to convince the non-gunnies that loaded, concealed guns are perfectly safe)
    keeping guns and ammo in seperate containers
    keeping guns cased until such and such time etc...

it's easier if someone who has already been there/done that can walk you along.

5. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

uspsa production is limited to 10 rounds. ipsc production is not limited in capacity. ipsc only limit is limited 10.

only done some plates and couple stages at a instructors backyard.
    like plates a bit better but its definitely all fun.

6. Ramshackle

Ramshackle Guest

Mr. Apathy is right. USPSA production class is limited to 10 rounds. IPSC is the international arm which won't apply unless you shoot in an internaitonal competition.

The Steyr should compete okay in production class. The downside will be a slighly shorter barrel and slide (sight radius) compared to a Glock 17 or 34. The other downside might be the triangle sights unless you've mastered them. Last problem is the trigger. While you can make a Glock trigger really sweet (light and crisp) by way of aftermarket parts, there's not much you can do to refine the Steyr trigger. Having said that, if you're proficient with the Steyr you should be plenty competitive.