Starting the New Year off with a bang

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by Polymer Proselyte, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Polymer Proselyte

Polymer Proselyte New Member

I shot my first match with my new IPSC rig a couple of weekends ago, but didn't report it as I shot extraordinarily badly. The gun was fine, the holster worked well, all the mags functioned perfectly. The only thing wrong was the muppet pulling the trigger.

So I went out to the range today and went back to basics. Just a few drills. It was great. I actually forgot how much I enjoy shooting the Steyr. I put some nice groups in the A zone from 20m to prove to myself that I actually can shoot when I concentrate.

I will now look at getting back into a dry firing routine and drills at home.

2. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I am so fast at dry fire "draw and shoot" in the garage. Reality comes crashing back at the line, and adds another .4 seconds.

The Steyr really is a nice design for pointability.

3. Polymer Proselyte

I shot again yesterday very averagely. Gonna need a bit of time to convert over from the other Austrian pistol. I'm having a bit of a problem in bright sunlight with the sights. There doesn't seem to be enough contrast. Thaiboxer, are you using the traps in competition?

4. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

5. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I used the traps for awhile. I felt like I shot better at distance with standard sights, and put PT night sights on. I never had trouble seeing them, just decided to keep them the same as my other pistols.

Shot my 1911 in IDPA today, took second.

6. Polymer Proselyte

Chilli, good idea but I have to keep it insde the specs for Production.

Thai, I want to give the traps a fair run. I do find them a bit more labour intensive at longer distances.
    Still, I'm in the transition stage so I can't expect too much. They seem very capable out to about 15-20 metres.

It was very glarey yesterday, it could be more of an issue with my glasses than the sights themselves.

7. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Polymer,

Here is what I learned in the past. You can't get any better unless you practice practice practice. I try to shoot a minimum of two hundred rounds three times a week. To some that is way too few rounds a session. I then stepped up to four hundred rounds working with many! targets. I don't purchase my rounds from the range nor do I buy any targets. I buy all my targets from Wally World in packs of ten. I don't do the fancy ones, only the ones where the mass is about the size of a pie plate or smaller.

There is an old saying, Aim small, miss small.

I shoot two mags at about > = < fifteen feet, two at about 25 feet and one at about fifty feet. Each time I empty a mag, I put up a new target. I try many drills to improve my shots. After several hundred rounds, then I might play with double taps working on the second shot and it's placement.

I also set an empty mag to the left of my unloaded/unracked pistol. I practice the speed of loading the mag, racking it and dry firing at the target. Due to range rules (depends what range and no one is shooting) I might do this practice with loaded mags.

My shooting partner (grand master) told me to shoot till it hurts everytime. The speed will develop. Grant it, some days are better than others. I enjoy the shoot, my wife likes me gone for the few afternoons and I make great friends.

As soon as I start reloading, I will step up to more lead sent down range. I also found it better to purchase a year membership at the range of choice. You make friends with the staff and they let you get away with more than the straggler who walks in with that new weapon.

Shoot alot if you want to be competive. Try pulling from the holster and firing dry at Post-It-Notes on the walls of your house. Number the notes 1 threw 10. Place the notes from far left to far right and then back again. This will get you used to "walking your motions out".

Do you know you can loose more time NOT walking out the course of fire prior to your shoot. Time is important, but placement and misses are more important. Shoot Alphas and try avoiding running from target to target. I know that this will be impossible during a match, but if your heart rate and adrenalin is pumping, a good first or second shot is tough.

I'm not sure if anyone finds this information important for day to day shooting, but your speed and placement WILL come in time. If it was that easy, I would be a national champ.
    Trust me, I am not.

Think of practice as the highlight to your week. Shoot often and shoot alot of rounds. Keep your brass and don't let the range have it. They will always allow you to take home your brass.

Take Care,
    MidTNShooter

8. Polymer Proselyte

Thanks for the tips midtown. I have a club shoot tomorrow and a 2 day shoot next weekend in another city. I know I shoot straighter with the Steyr, its just a matter of speeding up a little.

As you say it's practice. I still haven't got to the stage where I have a good template for the Steyr sight alignment tatooed on my brain. My dryfiring time has been slipping a bit too.

The other thing is I mostly used to run the Glock with 16 rounds (1 round down) to aid reloads. I can squeeze 15 in the Steyr but it makes reloads problematic (mag not seating, slide jamming). Do you shoot with a full mag?

On the plus side, I'm on the committee for our non-profit community range. We are limited to the daylight hours, but I can shoot anytime I like, usually with the whole range to myself. My wife is shooting .22 for the national team so we can sometimes double up on range time.

I let you know how I get on.

Catch Ya Later

9. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Actually, when I shot the Steyr as my only comp pistol, I shot in IPSC Limited 10 (10 rounds or less). In Production or IDPA, buy many mags. My CR Speed belt has five mag pouches. With this comfiguration, I have plenty of rounds PLUS if I drop a magazine , I save some time by leaving it were it fell and grabbing another one. Walk your path out prior to shooting so you'll know in your mind where you are at and that will save a couple valuable seconds.

Take Care and Good Luck (Don't pass the 180 degree) !

Signed,
    MidTNShooter (TN stands for Tennessee not Midtown :party: ) :D

10. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I recently made the same call, and used M40 in L10 class rather than Production. If I had some puffball Minor .40 loads, I think Production would be the way to go.

11. Polymer Proselyte

Apologies MidTN, These are the same lazy eyes that I'm having trouble with at the range.

I'm using a CR Speed holster and 2 fobus double mag pouches, which gives me 4 mags to play with.

I'm noticing a worrying trend on a few targets. I think the first shot is smack bang in the A zone with the second going a low and left D (diamond shaped targets). I've got 1000 rounds coming this week so I'll have to get out to the range and nut it out.

I did make a 30 metre shot today which was acceptable on one stage.

12. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Load a few random dummy rounds in your clips at random, and I suspect you will find your "low left" problem.

13. Polymer Proselyte

Weird how it turns up in the second shot thou. I've got some dummy rounds the local AOS (Armed Offenders Squad = SWAT) left on the range. I'll have a play this week.

Oh, and if you think its bad they leave their dummy rounds on the range - this week they left a live flash-bang on a smallbore range. Add that to the two 20 round AR mags, and a few Glock mags they left in the past and you can see why my taxes are so high. :x