Stainless Guide Rods

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Shooter, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Having switched to 357sig, I'm looking for a switch to a stronger recoil spring which means also guide rod. Question 1 is what is the # of Steyr's standdard spring and 2, is there a stainless guide rod (G19) that would fit Steyr or do we have to go custom with Jackass rods....???

2. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

Someone on this board was looking at making SS rods for the Steyr...I haven't heard anything since. I like the JackAsh SS rods, BUT his CS sucks at best. The guy is really bad at following through and replying to emails. He did have some personal issues a few months ago...so I'm not sure if that has been resolved.

3. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Howboucha, BT 8-O

Ya got some a them SS guide rods for these Steyr M-A1's yet? Come on, Man...get 'er done! \:D/ --And, Lord...bless all the starvin' pygmies in New Guinea. [-o<

Wulf

4. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I just received a stainless steel guide rod from this guy http://mysite.verizon.net/feez357/ for my Sig 2340. He did a beautiful job and shipped quickly. There's also this guy who does them for a bunch of other guns: http://bedair.org/ who is listed on the site. They might be people to approach who could supply the rods on a long term basis.

Buzz

5. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

JackAsh hasn't made the Steyr rods for some time now. :( Actually, he doesn't do much of anything anymore. Too bad.

-D

6. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Bummer....................................... :cry:

7. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

how important is it that the guide rod be captured?

meaning, do you guys just want a stainless dowel with a button on the locking block end? that's easy.

or do you want to be able to pull out the spring and guide rod as one assembly? harder.

as far as capturing it, any objection to applying blue locktite to keep the thing from vibrating loose?

if i could make a dowel, threaded at both ends with a small button on one end that would project through the slide, and another button that threaded onto the locking block side, that would be pretty simple.

i'd be worried about i vibrating loose. blue locktite cures that. but in these small diameters, blue locktite can require some heat or impact to loosen. now you're taking heat to your main spring. not much, don't get it glowing red. a quick touch with a propane torch would crack it.

anyway, if i did it that way, would it meet ya'lls needs?

edited to include, getting the stock spring off the factory plastic guide rod will basicaly require destroying the original rod. that allen head strips instantaneously. gripping the existing flat on the other end with any force compresses the tube, completely distorting it. so, using the stock spring is a one way trip. using aftermarket springs won't be an issue.

let me know and i shall deliver.

8. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

F***in' A, BT 8-O

You shi*in' me??? How much to my door? I'll be your Huckleberry. Get back to me ASAP. PM me ifn ya gotta. <shrug> Hava great X-Mas! :p

Wulf

9. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I don't need captured, but I'll take it.......... :lol: I just think a few more pounds of recoil strength will give that 40/357 an even softer feel........Hell it makes my 10mm Glock a pleasure.............count me in........ 8)

10. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Are there any M9 or M40 recoil springs that could be purchased and put on the guide rod?
    Looked at the Wolff site and there was no Steyr listing.

11. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

Wolff springs is local for me...they might not have Steyr's listed, but if there's a demand, they can make one for the Steyrs.

It wouldn't bother me if the GR was captured or non-captured. As long as it was reliable and functioned...I think you'd have a winner BT.

12. Just_watching

Just_watching Member

...ask IGB they will do guide rods for Steyr. I got mine from IGB (2 years ago), because the original one was broken. I would never use a plastic one anymore....