Steyr Club Forums banner

stainless guide rods

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  RiceCakes 
#1 ·
not sure if Jack Ashe still makes guide rods for steyr. dont see them listed on his site. was a custom deal.

http://www.bedair.org/P226/Guiderod.html

Steve Bedair

just found a website guy claims he will make custom guide rods out of 304 stainless

Special Orders:
I can copy virtually any guide rod but I need the original rod for measurements. (This does not include captive rod/spring assemblies shown here ) The price is $25.00 for stainless
steel guide rods and shipping is free. I can usually have the new rod completed and shipped (along with your original rod) within 24 hrs.
If you are interested in having a stainless guide rod made please contact me at Steve Bedair I am currently out of stock on the Tungsten guide rods. You can contact me for availability. If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with the stainless guide rod I will replace or refund the full price (less shipping) for 7 days from the time you receive your order.
may be worth looking into

#3 ·
Stainless guide rods are stronger and flex less than plastic. They also weigh more, and the extra weight at the front of the gun helps reduce muzzle flip. You can get tungsten rods that are even heavier than stainless steel. The recoil & flip reduction properties make them an illegal modification in some pistol shooting competitions. Haven't tried one in the M9 though since I can't say I find recoil or muzzle flip to be a problem. But, for only $25 I might try one out just for gits and shiggles, or just to have around as a spare should something happen to the plastic one.

#5 ·
my main M40 has the capture piece of plastic broke so its no longer a captured guide rod its not bad then again strong fingers help.

yeah muzzle flip in my M40 with fullhouse loads is nothing the plastic guide rod works fine for me but nice to have a spare.

on tungsten I am worried about hardness and possible peaning. it could add to wear.

in competition it depends on the class your in. some want bone stock gun with no additions and mods to minimum.

lighter or heavier spring could help some Steyr's out.

#6 ·
ValleyZ06 said:
FYI: I contacted Steve and he informed me that he does not make steel/tungsten guide rods for our gun because the Steyr rod/spring is a "captive" unit. He only makes these rods for non-captive guide rods. :(
There's a pic of a stainless guide rod made for a Steyr on Jack Ash's web page and it's a non-captive type. It was probably made to the same diameter and OAL just without the front spring capture part. The captive spring makes reassembly slightly easier, OTOH it makes it more difficult to experiment with different recoil springs. But the gun will run fine with a non-captive rod.

#7 ·
i don't understand why these guys can't just tap the end with a #4 and red locktite in a captive plate. wouldn't vibrate loose. if you want to take it apart, grab a propane torch.

done. captive. sexy. the rod's in the lathe anyway, probably with a center, which means it already has a hole started.

maybe that's what i'll do. maybe i'll make a sandwich.

#11 ·
I wouldn't mind getting a sexy sandwich either! Does anyone know offhand what the weight increase would be? My g/f loves to shoot those damned front heavy 1911's with their great big slow recoil. Go figure. Maybe if I put a little weight in front she'll quit whining about it. :roll:
Oh yeah, and GOOD THING she's not a member here!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.