Stainless Guide Rod Testing

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by babj615, Mar 13, 2007.

Original Polymer Rods or Stainless Rods?

1. Original Polymer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Stainless

100.0%
  3. Other [please explain]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I just received new Stainless Guide Rods from Bigtaco for my Steyrs.

I have used Stainless Guide Rods in my Glocks for years.

I will be updating this post periodically as I have new information to add.

First, some basic comparison photos:

Business Ends of my Glock 17, Steyr M40-A1, Glock 19 - With Stainless Rods Installed:

[​IMG]

Here we have the Stainless Rods on the left, and the original Factory Rods on the right:

Glock 19: Dead Bang Recoil Rod
    Glock 17: Haarts Recoil Rod
    Steyr M40-A1: Bigtaco Stainless Recoil Rod

[​IMG]

A little more personal:

[​IMG]

Relative comparison - installed, side view:
    [Haarts, Dead Bang, BigTaco, Original]

[​IMG]

All in all, I was very pleasantly surprised when I received Bigtaco's Stainless Rods today: They appear to be of the highest quality craftsmanship and materials. My Haarts Rod and Dead Bang Rod were substantially more expensive than Bigtaco's Rod, yet his is by far the most impressive when held and gazed upon. To be fair, the Haarts Rod and Dead Bang Rod are substantially more complicated to assemble, but neither offer the same exceptional appearance or feel of Bigtaco's Stainless Guide Rod. [IMHO]

...more photos and range report for all three of my Steyrs [M9 M9-A1 M40-A1] soon!!!

2. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

springs...

So once you have one of BigTaco's Famous Impressive Stainless Steel Guide Rods what is invovled in terms of springs? Do you need an after market spring? Can you use the stock spring? Does it change the way the gun is taken down?

Thanks in advance.

3. LHD

LHD New Member

Posterboy, I simply un-screwed my factory spring from the plastic guide rod and screwed it on a stainless one I had made at work (see pic). If it's not captured, it's only a minor annoyance to re-assemble.

[​IMG]

4. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

I'm sure it doesn't, you'd just have to watch for the spring not to shoot off.

5. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Just got my guide rods from BT and they are quite nice.....Gotta go stainless or metal of some kind. One of Glocks weakness's IMO is their factory guide rods.
    I'll be testing them this weekend.........

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

What was the cost on these?

7. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

8. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I'm also working on using a 1911 spring plug grinded in front with a washer the size of the guide rod to tighten up the space around the end of the rod in the front. I am cutting the plug down. It fits nicely in the spring intent on the slide of the Steyr. I want to see if the closing up the excess space around the guide rod will affect accuracy. I should be able to test that out this weekend also................I used Wulf's 1911 spring measurements which worked very well..........poor description but I'll take pictures and if it works i'll post it, if not, just another funky experiment gone arye........ :shock:

9. LHD

LHD New Member

I see the path, but no pics emulate. Anyone else? or is it just my computer?

10. LHD

LHD New Member

Oops. Nevermind.

11. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

[​IMG]

how bout this lhd? a little something i whipped together.

i never realized how easy it was to wind the spring on and off. i even made a special little tool, so i could really get a grip on the rod with the spring wound down.

to me the ultimate solution for a captured rod. saves your old rod, uses the factory spring.

so... what do you guys think? is this the pentultimate cptured guide rod solution?

i'd have to do a run to see where'd it would be price point. but based on the prototype, it won't be bad.

stay tuned for more pics. and better pics!! sorry, digicam noob. steep learning curve.

let me hear you!!!

12. LHD

LHD New Member

Yeah! That's what I'm talkin' bout! Looks good. Let the production begin....

Here's a pic of my darlin' with her Sunday dress on.

[​IMG]

Hmmm...she's got some navel fuzz I need to deal with...

13. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Whats the advantage to these?
    How common is it for the plastic one to break?

14. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

its rare the plastic breaks but the plastic rod. it doesnt have a smooth finish and I havent found one that measured consistently or round. thats out of 4 original M series.

the matte finish could slow the spring some but that slowing could be problem for guns. smooth finish stainless rod could eliminate breakin issues but could also accelerate wear small amount.

stainless steel adds weight to the front of the gun could lessen muzzle flip.

gun certainly cycles nicer with metal rod.

one note dont need a shiny polished finish on the exposed end of the guide rod.
    matte finish would be appreciated.

15. LHD

LHD New Member

The only advantage I can see is, like Mr A said, the plastic ones have irregular diameters the length of the part because they're molded, and the spring could possibly snag or scrape these irregular spots after a long period....maybe....doubtful. Who knows how the plastic rod will be affected by heat after some extensive shooting. I'm sure it would not effect function at all...the slide will still return. It's just cheesy having that piece of plastic with a sharp edged spring coiled around it. After installing the stainless rod you'll notice how smooth it is, or it seems...even has a better sound to it. Now it's "metal to metal", not metal shaving plastic.

My opinion for what it's worth.

As for the shiny stainless....hmmm....guess I'll take it to our plating facility and have a black oxide or black nitride finish applied. That will look better than using my "Marks-A-Lot" on it.

16. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Does that mean...

Should I wait for the BigTaco Supreme Stainless Steel Captured Guide Rod?

Because I was about to send for the original.

17. nc_gunner

nc_gunner Guest

Fit and finish, as well as strength, makes the SS capture rod a no-brainer to me. I'm just waitin' on the captured rods and will pick one up for my M at that point. I like the convenience of pulling a complete rod/spring package and not having any fuss when re-assembling. I'm also not tinkering with spring load, etc, so the captured (read noob) version is excellent for me.

Plus, what's the point in owning something if you can't upgrade it? :wink:

18. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Is everybody using flat springs...?? I tried using a round 1911 spring and I can't get the slide to lock back all the way. I'm thinking the spring is still either too long or the roundness is taking up too much space inside and not allowing the slide to go all the way back..... :?