Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Steyr Club newbie here.

I am trying to figure out how to sight in my 1995 Steyr SSG PIIK. It came with a Hensoldt Wetzlar ZF 500 scope, which is a scope that I think is fairly commonly seen on these types of Steyrs. Currently, the rifle shoots about 8 inches high at 100 yards (i.e. when the dial is set to "1", which is as far down as the dial will turn). I was using Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain Boat Tail Sierra ammo, and got a nice .5 MOA group, but just 8 inches too high! Any information that y'all have on this scope (and, more importantly, information regarding how adjust the POI so as to sight it in) would be appreciated. Anyone have an owner's manual they could scan and post?

The rings that came with my scope are the original factory rings – they are serial numbered to match the receiver, so I don't think the rings are the issue.

I have assumed that 168 grain ammo is the correct ammo that coordinates with the 100 to 500 meter BDC turret on a scope of this type. Any thoughts?

I removed the large screw located on the middle of the top turret. How the adjustments work is not obvious to me. All I saw was a series of roll pins and holes. The outer turret piece itself seemed to be a one-piece unit, with the top half of the turret etched with tactile groves, and the lower half etched with distance numbers (i.e. 1,2, 3, 4, and 5). Although I expected these two halves to be separate, moveable pieces, they appear to be one piece (unless they are stuck together for some reason). I tried to twist the top and lower half to separate them but they did not appear to budge.

I'm stumped and could use some advice on this issue. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Welcome to the SteyrClub!

I don't have any advice for you, but I'll bet someone here does.

·
Registered
6 Posts
greetings...

I took my SSG to the range yesterday,
...hand loaded some Nosler 125 grain bullets.
Scope was adjusted so as the rifle was shooing high,
about 3 inches, and to the left 1 inch, at 100 yards.
Romoved the elevation slotted cap,
and turned the inner ring counter clockwise a tad.
while holding the lower elevation ring steady.
and did the same with the windage.
brought the shot pattern to point of aim,
to point of impact.

Cheers...

Bruce ~~___/)~*~

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Bruce. I checked the link you directed me to, but unfortunately the 6x scope discussed in that link is different from the 10 x 42 Hensoldt ZF 500. I will try to post some pics of the scope turrets. I'm completely stumped, and so far I've had no luck finding a manual. :confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I may have figured out the problem. According to one source I talked to, the portion of the turret with the numbers and the portion with the tacile groves are actually two separate pieces that are supposed to move independantly of each other. Mine seem to be stuck together. I'll try to use some penetrating oil to get them apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts