Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new ssg 08, 338 LM rifle with IOR scope. IOR is known as VALDADA in US but is made in Romania. Is a great tactical scope 3,5-18x50, very good for hunting also.
I hit a target on 930 m ! It is a great rifle, not so heavy as other tactical rifles.
The only one problem i have the length of the stock and is NOT adjustable.
I use Lapua Scenar bullets and Ballistic FTE software for iPhone.
I order now from US a nice rangefinder NEWCON 3000 pro and a Kestrel 4500 weather meter.
Anybody has an ssg 08 rifle?

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Welcome to the SteyrClub!

I don't have one - but I suspect you are one terminally lucky dude to have one!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can anibody tell me what rifle in this caliber is better then ssg 08. Maybe barret MRAD? I love MRAD also, was a choice between mrad or ssg, but the import in Romania was more difficult of MRAD.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
When you get to rifles of the level of the SSG and MRAD, as well as some others in the same area, you are more likely to be looking for personal likes and dislikes, rather than "better."

Are you in Bucharest, or somewhere else in the country?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an SSG 08 chambered in .308/7.62 X 51. I purchased it this past summer and put a Vortex HD 5x20 Scope with the EBR-2 Reticle. Fantastic combination. I have only been able to shoot 80 rds through it so far. What can I help you with??

GB
SSG 08
S40 A1

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi misi! You CAN change the lenght of pull (stock). There are "spacers" which you can take out or add. In a nutshell, one of the best sniping rifles out there right now. Noone can beat an SSG08 accuracy wise.
Manni

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree, you have the best in my opinion. I live within 15 miles of the Barrett factory. I have watched the development of most of their rifles since the inception of the company including the MRAD. I personally don't think it even compares with anything coming from Steyr. None of their rifles are really known as extreme precision rifles. They are definitely tactical, well made and purpose oriented but extreme accuracy is not one of their qualities. Be happy knowing that you are among the few and fortunate to own one of the best rifles ever made.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an SSG 08 in .308. The LOP is changed with spacers - just like the Sako TRG. Steyr has a distribution center in Alabama now which is who I'd call for some spacers or other accessories. My '08 is paired with a S&B PMII 5x25x56 and a Spuhr one-piece mount. I've engaged targets as far as 1250 yards and the rifle is amazing (1/4 MOA w/hand loads).

·
Registered
286 Posts
Can anibody tell me what rifle in this caliber is better then ssg 08. Maybe barret MRAD? I love MRAD also, was a choice between mrad or ssg, but the import in Romania was more difficult of MRAD.
sorry, I think ssg08 is still better than MRAD. Barrel, stock and ergo. I can think of 2 that is equal if not better. Ai ax and Sako trg 42 in folding stock. But both are more expensive than ssg08. Yes. Ssg 08 is best bang for the buck. I just sold my ssg 04 in 308 which is basically same gun except the stock. Sorry, I sold it to fund my Sako trg 22.
Congrats to the op. You will feel boring because you will hit the targe with ease even over 1km.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts