Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a SSG 69 original green stock that crumbled apart along with the trigger guard. Replaced both about ten years ago. Have made an effort to only snug the mounting screws and this helped but alas, this trigger guard is also shattering around the mounting screw holes. Black stock still looks good, of which I have a spare. Figure I can either replace the trigger guard again (and buy another spare for the future) or bite the bullet an buy the high dollar McMillan stock and be done with it. Or sell the rifle once the new trigger guard is installed and apply the cash toward something requiring less maintenence.
Bought the spare stock with the intention of modifing it to accept pillar bedding spacers that can better secure the reciever to the stock without transfering mounting screw pressure thru the trigger guard. Then "floating" the trigger guard with o-rings as insulator grommets. But there is very little material around the stock's mounting screw holes and I don't have a high confidence in this idea.
Has anyone that has gone from a Steyr stock to the McMillain stock seen an improvement in accuracy? I question the flimsy feel of the Steyr system and just how consistant it holds the reciever with the integral trigger guard/mag well floating around. Hard to justify the $800+ of the McMillan stock. Anyone out there do the swap and feel it was worth it?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts