SSG-69 receiver dovetail compatibility

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by Caaarlo, May 24, 2013.

1. Caaarlo

Caaarlo New Member

Hello everybody, this is my first post here !

I am about to buy a .308W SSG-69 PII rifle, but in my country nobody sells STEYR scope rings. Looking at the receiver, I think the dovetail is quite similar to the CZ-550(19mm CZ vs. 18mm Steyr). Of course, the CZ rings have a side locking tab in the rear mount that should be ground off, in order to slide freely on the SGS dovetail. Has anybody tried CZ mounts ?

Regarding the optional picatinny rail, does it require drilling the top of the receiver ?

I will appreciate any light on this matter.

2. hookbill

hookbill New Member

The rail does not require drilling. It might need a little fitting and a rubber hammer. But is the way too go for best use. Proprietor rings suck.

3. kiwisteyr

kiwisteyr New Member

Hi Caaarlo, i put the factory rail on my ssg 69. It fits perfectly, no hammering required at all. Used some high strength loctite on the 4 screws. The rail meant i could use warne maxima rings which i like. Best group of 5.5mm for 5 shots so far and the scope hasn't moved. all the best with it, lovely rifle: cheers

4. Caaarlo

Caaarlo New Member

Thank you. I think i will get the rail then.

PS: 5.5mm at 100m distance ??? Wow !! What ammo ?

5. kiwisteyr

kiwisteyr New Member

Sierra game king 165 grain spitzer, 44grains of AR2208, with fed gold match primer and lapua brass. seated at 20thou off the lands. Oddly, that shot better than the btsp 168g matchking which grouped at abt 14mm. I also tried the 155g matchking with 46.5g of 2208 yesterday, very tight too at abt 12mm. I have tried abt 8 different projectiles, nothing shot over 1 MOA. I've got 3 steyr's and i would happily own another, really nice to shoot. cheers

6. Caaarlo

Caaarlo New Member

Some guys had very tight groups with the Hornady AMAX 168.

What's the average group size ? 0.5 MOA ? The rifle came from factory with a 3 shot test group of about 0.7 MOA with Federal Gold Medal 168. I hope I can do better than the guys at the factory.

7. kiwisteyr

kiwisteyr New Member

Didnt do so well with the 168 Amax, it was a vertical string with them. Didnt like Berger either. Most of the projectiles I have tried are hunting Projectiles. The 3 math projectiles I shot were all around or under .5moa. My SSG is 7 years old also!

8. Caaarlo

Caaarlo New Member

So, does your rifle perform better than the factory test grouping ?

9. kiwisteyr

kiwisteyr New Member

Yes, as long as i'm up to it!

10. Caaarlo

Caaarlo New Member

Ok, I've just finished attaching the rail, rings and scope to the rifle... and also field tested it with its first 20 rounds.

In order to align the scope, I reloaded some cheap ammo:

Case: Argentine Military FM 7,62x51
    Powder: Argentine Military FM A27, 42.5 grains
    Primer: Remington Small Rifle
    Bullet: Argentine Military FM, 144 grains FMJ spitzer 7.62mm (not the best for accuracy), lightly crimped with LEE FACTORY CRIMP DIE.

Here's the group I could achieve at 100 meters (~110 yards)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  11. KLR

KLR New Member

I just purchased a rail for my SSG 69, but can't figure out which end is the front end. The rail came without instructions. One end is kind of rounded and blunt. The other end has a radius cut out of it on the corner. Which end is the front end?

KLR

12. Caaarlo

Caaarlo New Member

The radius cut in the corner is for the bolt not touching the rail when opening... so that's the rear part.